Yet,ANOTHER reason to always change your own oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just sent me a text telling me the place that changes her oil totally [censored] her off just now. She always tells them "Mobil 1",and then pays for a Mobil 1 oil change. Well,she said she was bored sitting in there waiting,so she decided to walk over to the big window and watch them work on her car. They have different fill tubes for different oils (Mobil 1 tube,diesel oil tube*HDEO of some kind?*,conventional house oil tube,etc).

Well,she stood there and watched them go for the diesel tube and proceded to fill her 09 Camry with 15 quarts of diesel oil. She approached them and told them they used the wrong fill hose for her car,and the insisted they used the Mobil 1 hose,and she told them she saw the whole oci transpire. After she said she saw the whole thing,they admitted to screwing up,and refilled with the correct oil. Oh,and they also charged her for a new cabin air filter,which they never even checked,and admitted to as well. Good God!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sxg6
I feel like the engine wouldn't even be able to hold 15 quarts and would be overflowing
Kind of have to agree with that.....

Pretty scary with the devil may care attitude those guys have. Maybe if it was their cars they would wake up to the abuse they are doing.
This is the main reason I do everything myself. I don't even flinch when people tell me horror stories anymore......
21.gif

The only reason I say that is because I remember being 16, and my mom telling me to add oil to my sisters old volvo 240. At the time, I knew NOTHING about cars, so I asked how much to add. My mom says "I don't know, until you can see it in the hole", or something like that..
27.gif
Let me tell ya, it didn't take that many quarts to fill er up.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I feel like the engine wouldn't even be able to hold 15 quarts and would be overflowing

If it is an I-4, it probably would be pretty close to overflowing. I've wondered for a long time just how much oil it would take to make it pour out from the filler opening. Now, a V-6 on the other hand might easily drink up 15 qts with no signs of trouble until... Which brings up the other matter -- thank goodness they didn't try to start the thing.
shocked2.gif

I've had a Pennzoil lube center add 4 qts to my engine without changing the oil filter or draining the used 4 qts in my engine. Drove home and decided to check the oil level and it was up all the way up near the top of the dip stick tube and was black. Noticed the filter hadn't been changed. Since then I started to mark my filters before taking the vehicle in and checking the fluid level before I leave the dealership. Now, I don't trust them at all because I believe they put diesel oil in my '06 F150 5.4L according to my UOA and problems I experienced with engine after the oil change. This was at a highly reputable Ford dealer (est. 1919). Even if I could see them using the right bulk tank, I still don't know what is in the tank.

Can Valvoline lube centers be trusted as far as their bulk oil? They seem reputable and are supposed to only carry Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
How do you see 15 qts of oil come out of a fill hose?

You might might see the needle (or digital display) on the dispenser head. I have before. One of the reasons I now insist upon doing my own changes. It's just too easy not to do it myself.

I just got through talking to her. Yep,it was 15. She watched the guy set the machine to pour in 15 quarts. She has the V6 Camry.

Dear God.

Some places. This is one of the biggest reasons why I LET people in the garage area while I service their engines. No hocus pocus. No [censored]. You wanna watch? Come on in. Nothing to hide. Insurance reasons? Whatever. I can call them back into the shop if I need to show them something, so I figure I need to show them the whole procedure. Whatever.

Someone here had his oil drain plug stripped at an oil changers and it fell out while he was driving. The engine did what it was suppose to do without oil... seize up. They denied it, so he turned it over to his insurance company. It was PT Cruiser.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back