Ye Olde Timey AutoRX Thread (Yes, yet another)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-Rx is the single most important automotive product I've learned about here on BITOG. It has not failed to do exactly what it is advertised to do for me since first trying it a few years ago. Unfortunately, there are a handful of detractors on this forum that take every opportunity to hi-jack and bully every single satisfied ARX customer on this forum. So much so, that we don't even bother to comment anymore.

If you wrongfully decide not to try the product because of the bad advice you are receiving from some here, then PM me and I will take your unused ARX off your hands.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Auto-Rx is the single most important automotive product I've learned about here on BITOG. It has not failed to do exactly what it is advertised to do for me since first trying it a few years ago. Unfortunately, there are a handful of detractors on this forum that take every opportunity to hi-jack and bully every single satisfied ARX customer on this forum. So much so, that we don't even bother to comment anymore.

If you wrongfully decide not to try the product because of the bad advice you are receiving from some here, then PM me and I will take your unused ARX off your hands.

I'm with you on that one.

(*no need for the acquisition of surplus AutoRx: I have enough to last me til next life...*)

Q.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are a handful of detractors on this forum that take every opportunity to hi-jack and bully every single satisfied ARX customer on this forum.

Fact is when Frank sponsored this board and had his paid posters and cronies posting every minute about the marvels of ARX anyone even questioning the product was set upon like a pack of dogs from all angles. That's the truth.

Quote:
If you wrongfully decide not to try the product because of the bad advice you are receiving from some here

Bad advice? That's just your biased opinion.
I bought lots of this stuff and it didn't do anything near what it claimed. Not in one or two cars either this was many cars over the period of a year.

Not everyone who doesn't like ARX is a bully or has an axe to grind other than the fact they feel they wasted their hard earned money for most its simply comments based on their personal experiences.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
It has not failed to do exactly what it is advertised to do for me since first trying it a few years ago.

Glad it worked for you, but from what I have seen there are more members that posted about the product not working or getting very little results.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are a handful of detractors on this forum that take every opportunity to hi-jack and bully every single satisfied ARX customer on this forum.

I think we have members who have used other oil additives as well as auto-rx and they are reporting back that auto-rx does not work as well as some cheaper oil additives.

Very simply put: Auto RX did nothing for me.

I ran 3 cycles in my oldest van and could detect no differences at all.

Then I poured in Kreen and could tell a difference the next morning!

I'm from the it almost did something camp. It briefly stopped an oil leak, which came back shortly after I reported here that it stopped the leak. I caught some static for reporting.

Originally Posted By: DrivewayMechanic
Do you figure I can do any harm by using ARX? That's my real question.

Probably not, except to your wallet.
56.gif
But considering you've already bought it you might as well use it or sell it to recoup that sunk cost.

IOW there's 'probably' no harm in using it, but I doubt you'll see any quantifiable benefit from it.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: DrivewayMechanic
Do you figure I can do any harm by using ARX? That's my real question.

Probably not, except to your wallet.
56.gif
But considering you've already bought it you might as well use it or sell it to recoup that sunk cost.

IOW there's 'probably' no harm in using it, but I doubt you'll see any quantifiable benefit from it.

+1 You've paid for it, it isn't likely to do any damage. Use it and post your review when you are done. Looks like you will be in good company of many here who have used it.

Interesting link you posted about the paid posters. I've made it through only a few pages and I'm guessing I haven't got to the worst of the back and forth.

I think it has been fairly established that Auto Rx will not harm your engine, but may unmask existing problems such as seals that are held together by sludge. Given your Mobil 1 usage, I am very certain you won't see any negatives.

as for me: I think ARX works, but slowly. I had bone dry dipstick when I just bought my Camry,not because there was no oil, I've put myself 5q of Mobil 1 there, but because of sludge and deposits. 200 miles after I put in ARX I was able to se my oil level. Also it cleaned passages under PCV valve.
I'm just impatient, I use MMO right now, then drain and Kreen it. And will use last bottle of ARX for maintenance dosage. There is my thread, called ARX in V6 Camry, if you need more detailes and pictures.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
Interesting link you posted about the paid posters. I've made it through only a few pages and I'm guessing I haven't got to the worst of the back and forth.

I remember I was thinking of trying auto-rx, but after reading the PAID POSTERS FOR AUTO-RX thread I decided on another oil additive to clean up my engine, it was cheaper than auto-rx, and I am happy with the results.

I've used Auto-RX successfully as well, but I had realistic expectations and didn't have disaster scenarios. I also used just Auto-RX during the Auto-RX regime, I didn't create a chemical mix that would probably/potentially skew the results. And also, all our driving is ideal conditions for Auto-RX (greater than 20 minute trips for the most part, so the oil does get nice and hot).

All that being said, and as cheap as they are, to start, I'd pick up a new OEM (not aftermarket) PCV valve, to ensure that the PCV system is operating properly.

If you're anal like me, I'd do a UOA on oil at least with 1000 miles on it, to ensure you don't have any coolant leak...Auto-RX will expend "energy" on fighting the coolant rather than expend full "energy" on cleaning/lubricating. If you have no Potassium, then you should be good (unless somethings changed in oils and/or coolant since I last read, could be, never know).

Pick a nice simple cheap AutoZone dino that is the thinnest spec'd for your engine. Using as thin of an oil possible allows the Auto-RX to get as far into things as possible. Using a thick oil will not allow it to get behind seals and whatnot. Resist the temptation to make an oil "brew", that's not going to help anything; unless you have a specific well thought out reason, such as a known viscosity target.

Auto-RX likes heat. It takes about 20 minutes of engine operation before the oil is up to temp. Higher heat, and higher flow, areas will see any potential benefits faster than lower heat and/or lower flow areas. If you do frequent trips > 20 minutes, then you're going to get better results than if you drive 1 mile to work and back each day and that's it. This is where the phrase 'Auto-RX works if you work it' comes from.

What I've always done after the Auto-RX clean and rinse phase, after the last rinse phase is over, I drive another 3k miles with a good dino (known not to have any PAO and/or esters), so as to ensure all seals are back to normal. Then I go back to my synthetic fill.

Use good oil filters. Motorcraft or NAPA Gold/Wix. As cheap as they are, and as quality as they are, there's really no reason not to.

Those would be my suggestions...

Chuck

Last edited:
I just purchased some AutoRX to try and deal with a rear main seal leak in my Miata.

In the AutoRX FAQ there is the statement below. Oil companies claim statements like the one below are a myth.

Who is correct?

++++++++++++++

I've heard that synthetic oil can adversely affect my seals. Does Auto-Rx® help?

We believe that using synthetic, semi-synthetic, or high-mileage oil in high-mileage engines will weaken the seal material so that the seal loses its pliability. For rear main seal oil leaks, we recommend non-synthetic oil to firm up the seal material after Auto-Rx® has cleaned it, as the chemistry in non-synthetic oil makes seals harden just right to effect a tight seal.

After purchasing A Rx I too noted herein the negativeness for this product. I have a 2006 Toyota Matrix with 147k miles on it. I have gone through my first bottle and am on the second. I changed the oil filter midway through the initial recommended 3,000 mile OCI and drained it a refilled with A Rx. I did note that the spent oil was darker in color than my usual changes.
I doubt I had much sludge to begin with but was being precautionary and figured I would try this out. Usually my oil changes are between 7500 and 15,000 using synthetics or Amsoil with premium filters, which I will begin again when this and my final rinse is finished.
All this to say I was led to this site and have learned much on oil and filter technology which is a good thing in that it has made me understand there is much about maintenance I wasn't aware of and why there is a method to the madness.

Good luck on your usage and keep me informed. Can't say I have seen any improvement but my car seems a bit stronger.

To the guy with the bad rear main seal: I would save the money to get the repair done. You're throwing away money that you could be saving to get it done right. Cut your losses now.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
To the guy with the bad rear main seal: I would save the money to get the repair done. You're throwing away money that you could be saving to get it done right. Cut your losses now.

I'll replace the seal when it needs a clutch.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

The answer is that synthetic oils are fine for seals. When they first came out many years ago, that wasn't the case. The oil companies are right.

Don't be sold a bill of goods.

People mention oil color a lot as an indication of cleaning ability. A-Rx turns golden fresh oil darker as soon as you turn the key, and the product gets mixed in. The smaller the sump the darker the color. The product itself is very dark in color, so your oil is going to look darker than normal after 2 minutes of driving, and stay darker until the oil is spent. Sure if the engine is dirty the oil will get dirtier as a result, but even a clean engine will show dirtier oil just from the color of the product mixing in.

Quote:
We believe that using synthetic, semi-synthetic, or high-mileage oil in high-mileage engines will weaken the seal material so that the seal loses its pliability

This doesn't sound right to me. Oil blenders formulate an oil for high mileage engines but its bad for high mileage engines?
The same website has a list of synthetic oils that are compatible because they are GRP III so what's the deal with that?

Softening seals then re hardening them with dino sounds a bit hocus pocus to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back