YB 5w30, 5001 miles, 07 corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest UOA. 5speed 07 corolla, filter was the purolator L14477 (larger white can, not pureOne blue). I left the filter on since it only had 5k miles on it. Last filter was on for 10K and did fine.

This was the second run in a row of YB 5w30. Filled the crankcase with the same. Now that I have this UOA, I can't really justify buying a more expensive oil and will just keep using the old yellow bottle and L14477. I don't do a lot of highway driving, and many trips are short. The oil stayed honey colored on the dip stick for the first 3k miles. It was dark when I drained it, but with a TBN of 2.9 I could have probably taken it out to 7500. I will start a new job in Jan. in which I hope to drive less. I am hoping to get my oil changes down to twice a year at 5k OCIs.

Blackstone comments:
The viscosity of this sample read a little low but no fuel dilution was present. Last time we
speculated about the low vis showing some fuel in the oil, as we didn't have enough sample to test if for fuel
dilution. No harmful contaminants were found here and the low viscosity is still present, though it doesn't
seem to be a problem. Wear looks great and we see no signs of a problem developing. It looks like your
Corolla has matured past break-in and is wearing very nicely. The TBN read 2.9, which shows that some
active additive was left. Looks good here.

OIL---------------YB5/30---YB5/30---PP5/20---PP5/20---?5/30
MI/HR on Oil------5001-----4814-----5531-----4910-----3920
MI/HR on Unit-----25223----20222----15398----9867-----4957
Sample Date-------11/16/08-7/28/08--3/20/08--11/3/07--7/5/07
Make up Oil-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0
ALUMINUM----------1--------2--------3--------3--------3
CHROMIUM----------0--------0--------1--------0--------0
IRON--------------3--------5--------9--------8--------9
COPPER------------1--------1--------3--------11-------31
LEAD--------------1--------0--------2--------2--------1
TIN---------------1--------0--------0--------1--------4
MOLY--------------1--------8--------61-------53-------115
NICKEL------------0--------0--------0--------0--------0
MANGANESE---------0--------1--------1--------1--------1
SILVER------------0--------0--------0--------0--------0
TITANIUM----------0--------0--------0--------0--------0
POTASSIUM---------0--------3--------0--------1--------4
BORON-------------60-------68-------34-------24-------40
SILICON-----------6--------11-------15-------18-------53
SODIUM------------2--------4--------8--------32-------248
CALCIUM-----------1629-----2172-----2983-----2556-----1436
MAGNESIUM---------6--------10-------21-------16-------8
PHOSPHORUS--------536------684------710------664------585
ZINC--------------662------844------876------777------736
BARIUM------------0--------0--------0--------0--------2

SUS VISC. @ 210F--54.5-----53.2-----52.2-----52.5-----52.7
cST VISC. @ 100C--8.62-----8.24-----7.93-----8.03-----8.10
FLASHPOINT F------375------Short----390------385------385
FUEL %------------ ANTIFREEZE %------0.0------0.0------0.0------?-------0.0
WATER-------------0.0------0.0------0.0------0.0-----0.0
INSOLUBLES--------0.3------0.3------0.2------0.1-----0.2
TBN---------------2.9------1.7------3.2------4.3-----2.9

I've always felt that Pennzoil YB is one of (if not) the best dino available in the USA. It's all you need for most applications where the OCI is 5 to 6K IMO.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've always felt that Pennzoil YB is one of (if not) the best dino available in the USA. It's all you need for most applications where the OCI is 5 to 6K IMO.

Butt...but...but.....I heard it through unca joe's cousin's aunt whose also know this backyard mechanic who already know some tech writers in a stealership who also happen to know a pepboy counterboy who insists that YB pennzoil would sludge up your engine....

crackmeup2.gif

Q.

Looks good!

But I have a major problem...

You have a 2005 5sp Corolla? So do I!
cheers3.gif

How come I have almost 100,000 MORE miles on mine?
LOL.gif
(coming up to 120k next week)

The 5w-30 Pennzoil is the best oil for the Corolla. I've done it all and once I'm done with all the oil in my stash and have to go buy at retail, Pennzoil Conventional oil is the oil I'll use.
01.gif

Thanks for the EXCELLENT UOA.

Proves you do get excellent protection without paying $5+ for a quart of oil!

Originally Posted By: Quest
[/quote]
Originally Posted By: Quest
pbm said:

Butt...but...but.....I heard it through unca joe's cousin's aunt whose also know this backyard mechanic who already know some tech writers in a stealership who also happen to know a pepboy counterboy who insists that YB pennzoil would sludge up your engine....

crackmeup2.gif

Q.

LOL.gif
Good one!

wow, do reports get any better? Yeah, the 5w30 sheared a bit, but that's no surprise.

Maybe the reason you have such a great wearing engine is because you broke it in with PP
grin2.gif

I wouldn't change a thing. Nice to see a good report with a basic purolator oil filter. I have a couple of these for my subie and was thinking of upgrading. Don't see any reason to after seeing this report.

Dang! I didn't get any Pennzoil YB at $1.99/qt at Pep Boys on Black Friday! A case would have been 3 oil changes for me.

I have the same car, same tranny, and almost with the same miles (about 23k now). With all the excellent 5,000 mile OCIs on dino with this 1ZZ-FE engine, I guess I really can't see doing it any more often. Thanks for the UOA!

What about your air filter? Stock Denso? Silicon at 6 ppm is EXCELLENT from what I've seen on a lot of UOAs!

Pesca: Yes it is 5w30. The only time I used 5w20 was when I used PP, all others have been 5w30.

Webfors: I agree on the oil filter. The regular white filter seems to be doing great and is priced nicely too. Since I didn't change it at 5001 miles it will be interesting to see how it holds up after 2 OCI. I am not expecting anything out of the ordinary though.

Jason: The air filter was changed at 20K with a purolator air filter. Advanced Auto only had one to purolator that fit ( don't remember the number). It replaced the factory air filter. The silicon in the previous reports should all be from the engine castings and new gaskets. It has steadily trended down from new.

am i looking at the report wrong or does it look like the engine got less wear readings using YB Penn over PP? I was looking at the iron numbers.

Yes the engine is breaking in. There really isn't much need or benefit using syn oils at 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

This UOA no doubt looks good overall, but I have a couple questions:

Why is the flash point somewhat low?

Viscosity dropped into the 20wt range on all accounts. Does this engine have a timing chain or belt? If chain, that explains the fp question above as the oil is beaten to death.

What's your MPG on this vehicle?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
This UOA no doubt looks good overall, but I have a couple questions:

Why is the flash point somewhat low?

Viscosity dropped into the 20wt range on all accounts. Does this engine have a timing chain or belt? If chain, that explains the fp question above as the oil is beaten to death.

What's your MPG on this vehicle?

Toyota's 1ZZ-FE engine uses a timing chain. I have the exact same car ('07 with 5-speed) and I get about 35 MPG mixed.

I get about the same. On two 1100 mile round trips during the summer I averaged just over 40MPG for the 3 tanks with the best at 42mpg with the cruise set at 65 mph 98% of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back