YARIS owners : checking color of coolant ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
smokey1/All...

Do you think there might be an air pocket or a defective rad cap??

I have asked the same question on another forum (yaris forum) and the same owners of the sedan indiacte the dont have this situation, when their motor is full cooled down, the fluid level is at the top of the filler neck.. Very odd!...

Originally Posted By: smokey1
looks like all YARIS I/we have checked , including ours . The level looks the same as well . I've noticed the coolant in our '09 Liftbacks' resorvoir is quite a bit over the full mark . Not sure if we should be concerned . The fluid in the '08 resorvoir is still same bright red/pink . They seem to get a little happy with the fluids at the YARIS manufacturing plant in JAPAN . Too much saki ? Blowfish ? ;- )

I originally wrote whats below, but after re-reading this thread, it appears it was caused by something else.

Thats factory anti-leak tablets staining the coolant. Ford had this very issue when they switched to the very pale yellow colored G-05. The factory anti-leak tablets would stain it brown. They reformulated their tabs to stop this.

I would bet top dollar thats whats going on here. Also, its very common for anti-leak tabs to be put in at the factory...cheap insurance as far as they are concerned.
If not, I would say its some kind of sealent leaching into the coolant. Also, they may not have added the tabs to the overflow res, but instead directly into the rad (or some other opening). If the overflow is pressurized, eventually some rad coolant should cycle through, that said its entirely possible the system doesn't circulate like that on the Yaris.

All in all, nothing to worry about, the Yaris is a solid car.

Last edited:
sounds right . I suppose if not comfortable with it could always get it flushed and replaced for a peace of mind . THANKS .

smokey:

You may be experiencing an optical illusion. Coincidentally, I checked the rads in both the Camry and the Avalon this weekend. I used a coolant tester to suck out several ounces of the murky-looking fluid, and squirted it into a clear glass. In the clear glass, it was that lovely red-pink transparent color. The Avalon has ~20k miles, the Camry ~32k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back