YARIS owners : checking color of coolant ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
in your YARIS . While checking coolant ( removal of radiator cap )in both '08 YARISes we own I discovered that it has become a murky brownish red / orange color . There is less than 7,500 on the sedan and less than 20,000 on the L.B. . The coolant in the resorvoirs are still clear and bright red . Was wondering if could check your coolant and report back on the consistency and color of your fluid under the cap and in resorvoir ( state mileage as well ). Remember to check when cool , don't want anyone loosing coolant or getting hurt . ;- ) . 1st generation SCION XA / XB owners are welcome to report findings as well . THANKS .

Last edited:
The last that I checked it, the coolant in the overflow bottle of my friend's 2006 Corolla was still bright pink. It had 50k miles on it then.

I haven't checked the radiator cap, but I'll do so at the next service, which will be very soon.

checked the radiator fluid of a used '08 sedan with little over 12,000 miles and that too is a murky orange brown . Must be normal . Plan to check out the fluid of a few '09s and some other used YARIS as well .

noticed that when restarted the YARIS after sitting for about 4 hours that smoke was billowing from the tailpipe when looking out the back window while backing out of driveway . I think there may be a valve / seating issue at about 16 and 1/2 thousand miles . :- (

Whats the colour of your coolant in your overflow bottle?

Originally Posted By: smokey1
checked the radiator fluid of a used '08 sedan with little over 12,000 miles and that too is a murky orange brown . Must be normal . Plan to check out the fluid of a few '09s and some other used YARIS as well .

that's the kicker , it's a clear red in the overflow and a murky orange brown under the cap . This applies to all YARIS new ('09 ) and old ( '08s ) that we have looked at . What's up with that ? Somekind of a lubricant mixed in with the coolant from the factory ? Extract from sealants ? I dunno .

Last edited:
that's the kicker , it's a clear red in the overflow and a murky orange brown under the cap . This applies to all YARIS new ('09 ) and old ( '08s ) that we have looked at . What's up with that ? Somekind of a lubricant mixed in with the coolant from the factory ? Extract from sealants ? I dunno .

I would assume it's extract from sealants, but i'm no expert.

If it were my car though, i'd be doing a drain and refill with the same coolant. Then do it again in a year or so, just to be safe.

So odd.. I will take a look at my Yaris tonight and report back (mine is an 08 with approx 20K km)... Wonder if we could take the car to the dealership for a warranty claim?? and have them replace the coolant... hmmm....

is a mystery . MARVEL MYSTERY OIL ? :- ) . Let us know of your findings . THANKS

Hey guys.. I dont think there is any problem... I use a q-tip and took a few samples from the filler neck, and the coolant is still pink in colour, but yes, when I look down the filler neck, it looks like that orange colour.

On the way home today I purhcased a gallon of the pink coolant as I needed to top off my coolant level, and when I looked into the jug of coolant, it has the same orange look to it when it is in the black jug..

3403077036_d675198083.jpg

Originally Posted By: CB900F2
Hey guys.. I dont think there is any problem... I use a q-tip and took a few samples from the filler neck, and the coolant is still pink in colour, but yes, when I look down the filler neck, it looks like that orange colour.

On the way home today I purhcased a gallon of the pink coolant as I needed to top off my coolant level, and when I looked into the jug of coolant, it has the same orange look to it when it is in the black jug..

3403077036_d675198083.jpg

Interesting.......

So no worries i guess. I'd imagine just because it's dark inside that the coolant just LOOKS orange.

I assume the qtip on the right is from the new bottle, and the left the radiator?

must be the black plastic housing and the black hose that gives it that look ? Like that in the black jug . Thanks for that pic. Great idea with the Q-TIPS too ;- ). Feel more at ease now . Thanks to all of you . :- )

Last edited:
It must be the lighting from the photo, but they are basically the same colour

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
CB900F2 said:

Interesting.......

So no worries i guess. I'd imagine just because it's dark inside that the coolant just LOOKS orange.

I assume the qtip on the right is from the new bottle, and the left the radiator?

Hey guys.. With your yaris, when the motor if fully cooled down, and with the car not running, what level do you find the coolant at in the filler neck?..

Wonder if this is normal for this 1.5 motor where the coolant system doesnt pull back into the system from the overflow bottle coolant when the motor starts to cool down to keep the level of the coolant at the very top of the filler neck???

I have attached a few photos..

What do you guys think?..

3428081325_4b30db45c3.jpg

find it about half way up the neck .

looks like all YARIS I/we have checked , including ours . The level looks the same as well . I've noticed the coolant in our '09 Liftbacks' resorvoir is quite a bit over the full mark . Not sure if we should be concerned . The fluid in the '08 resorvoir is still same bright red/pink . They seem to get a little happy with the fluids at the YARIS manufacturing plant in JAPAN . Too much saki ? Blowfish ? ;- )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back