yard blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, my local woolworths variety store has homelite yard blowers for about 100 bucks australian. does anyone have any experience with these babies?

Bunnings, Mitre10 and the like have several brands at this price point. I am looking for one at the moment and probably look at either Ryobi or GMC. What I'm after is high velocity air (range from 200-270kph)and size of bag (20-40ltrs). There are also some lighter weight units. I think the GMC (could be wrong) has a metal impellor blade whilst most of the rest are plastic. The other thing to look at is the noozle as what you are using it for may determine what you should buy.

Not sure that I would buy garden equipment from a food/ variety store. I would also try your local garden equipment/ lawnmower store. They can certainly give you more advise than woolies could ever.

Realistically at 100 bucks they are all fairly cheaply made but at least one brand has a 2 year warranty. Expect to replace fairly frequently.

I saw a name brand at $49 in one of the recent catalogues.

thanx tg, the one i was looking at only blew, no bag for collecting the leaves
i have a homelite trimmer, 2 year warranty, seems fairly good after 18 months

I bought a Homelite last year for less than $100.I have no complaints.It runs fairly quiet and has a trigger throttle which many don't.

I have a Homelite Vac Attack II blower. It has a bagging/vacuum attachment that I've never used. Got it on sale at Home Depot when the model first came out for $69- US, of course. I think they're about $100 now.

Haven't used it a great deal, but it has always started very easily when cold, is sometimes a little fussy to start when hot. Blows strong enough for me, sure glad I didn't spend the big bux on a pro-grade blower.

A nice gimmick on the Homelite blowers(at least the VA II): the exhaust goes into the blower tube. That may not sound like much, but: While it quiets only a little extra from that, it seems to lower the pitch of the sound a *lot*. This makes it much easier on the ears, IMO. You might check to see if the model available locally has that same feature.

The VA II also has a trigger throttle, with a throttle lock(which Homelite calls a "cruise control"!
grin.gif
).

I've also got a homelite blower with the 'down the tube' exhaust. Mail ordered it thru harbor freight tools about 6yrs ago as a refurbed unit. Got it for $69 IIRC. It starts the first or second pull & I've done nothing to it aside from fill it with fuel when needed!

Joel

My first Homelite ran for 10 years.All I did was add fuel and clean the air filter,the spark plug was the OE unit.I bought a Weed Eater brand and have had nothing but problems with it-mainly hard starting.So i bought another Homelite,and glad I did,starts on the first pull.I also like the Ryobi grass trimmer I have,so Ryobi is another brand I would consider buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back