XG3675 vs XG9837

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason not to use and XG9837 on 2004 and older 4.2l GM straight six engines? The filters both appear to be the same size and have no bypass, the XG3675 used to be spec'd without and ADBV but the Fram site now says that XG3675 does but no local retailer seems to carry the XG3675 but I can find the XG9837 everywhere, so should I just get an XG9837 instead for an 02' Bravada?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Many older GMs and Ultras are not good partners. Fram has slowly started fixing the issues and if they got resolved, I really don't know. My 2004 Colorado had cold start rattles with Ultras, right from day-1.

I wasted $9 on that purchase. But I hope it works for you. Not bashing the product. For I will eventually buy a couple Ultras for my Korean makes / models. I see members here using the Ultra in their 2.4 GDIs and not complaining.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Any reason not to use and XG9837 on 2004 and older 4.2l GM straight six engines? The filters both appear to be the same size and have no bypass, the XG3675 used to be spec'd without and ADBV but the Fram site now says that XG3675 does but no local retailer seems to carry the XG3675 but I can find the XG9837 everywhere, so should I just get an XG9837 instead for an 02' Bravada?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When you find one filter that works, please disregard the b.s. below. I've used ULTRA 's before on my old Bonnevikke without issue

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When you find one filter that works, please disregard the b.s. below. I've used ULTRA 's before on my old Bonnevikke without issue

What the heck is A Bonnevikke 🤔🤔
Is that some kind of Pontiac ??...³...³ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

The 9837 looks like a newer filter while the other one is pictured with the older style graphics. You ask a good question. It looks like the 9837 is ok. Maybe crossing the two frams with Wix and others would show if there is actually something different.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The 9837 looks like a newer filter while the other one is pictured with the older style graphics. You ask a good question. It looks like the 9837 is ok. Maybe crossing the two frams with Wix and others would show if there is actually something different.

I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first place, the Fram website cross references the Mobil1 M1-206A and Puralator Boss PBL25288 for both of them as well as a few GM filters. Looks like they should be equivalent. I got the 3675 and 9837 backwards, all variants of the 3675 have ADBV, but the PH9837 and TG9837 don't but the XG9837 does have an ADBV and these are both filters for GM engines with the bypass is in the block so don't have to worry about that.

All the specs between them are so close that either one will work.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The baseplate looks to be the same on both filter but, is it? Are the threads the same?

It says on the specifications that they both have 13/16-16 threads.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The baseplate looks to be the same on both filter but, is it? Are the threads the same?

It says on the specifications that they both have 13/16-16 threads.

Thank you I missed it. The eyes aren't what they used to be.
smile.gif

And now looking at the spec(inside diameter), I was thinking of something else. And I completely missed the "Th'd" as representing the threads.

Good catch,

CB

Last edited:
My 2002 Tahoe 5.3L calls for the XG3506 / XG3675, and I use the XG9837. The 3675 and 9837 are pretty much the same thing. The 9837 is always available locally where as the 3675 isn't. It works great for me. No rattle at startup. I've cut open a few of them and found no issues.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
My 2002 Tahoe 5.3L calls for the XG3506 / XG3675, and I use the XG9837. The 3675 and 9837 are pretty much the same thing. The 9837 is always available locally where as the 3675 isn't. It works great for me. No rattle at startup. I've cut open a few of them and found no issues.

The full-size trucks were probably the first to get fixed by Fram. My mid-sized 04 Colorado may not be fixed yet. Could be because so much of it was not built by GM, but by Japan

You can best-believe Fram looks out for GM and caters to them AMAP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

The full-size trucks were probably the first to get fixed by Fram. My mid-sized 04 Colorado may not be fixed yet. Could be because so much of it was not built by GM, but by Japan

You can best-believe Fram looks out for GM and caters to them AMAP.

Did you use an XG3506 or and XG3675/XG9837 on your Colorado? The 3506 is about an inch shorter, it's recommended as an alternate on the 4.2L, but Fram recommend you use the XG3675.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back