XD-3 0W-40 TOO THICK FOR 07 GM 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using GC 0W-30 in my h2 hummer.Would it hurt to go to a 0W-40 wt?
canada.gif

It will only hurt your pocketbook.
smile.gif

A 40 wt will work fine -- just you will get lower gas mileage compared to a 30 wt.

Unless you are tracking your Hummer or towing heavy loads in very hot weather -- I don't see the need to step up a wt. grade.

Are you referring to M1 0W-40? Because the UOA's have been showing that oil shearing down to a 30Wt after 2000 miles anyway. GC 0W-30 by comparison, shears very little and sometimes depending on the engine, never shears.

But the M1 0W-40 have shown some good wear numbers; much better than their thinner grades.

I forgot to mention that M1 HM 10W-30 would be the closest in viscosity to GC 0W-30, in case you're looking for a replacement. GC 0W-30 is blended on the thick side of a 30Wt.
smile.gif

Quote:

It will only hurt your pocketbook.
smile.gif

A 40 wt will work fine -- just you will get lower gas mileage compared to a 30 wt.

Someone who purchases a Hummer really doesn't consider mpg ,the difference in mpg is in the low low tenths.

You're correct i don"t consider mpg.I want a more broader viscocity oil with a higher HTHS and a more robust add pack.
canada.gif

Quote:

You're correct i don"t consider mpg.I want a more broader viscocity oil with a higher HTHS and a more robust add pack.
canada.gif

You will have to find an esso distributer because only the 0w40 is available for retail. The 0w30 is what you want but I know you have to buy as a case lot.
canada.gif

I found in my local walmart 0W-40 for 22.97 for 4liters.I wish all motor oils in Canada come down in price . There is our par dollar and we still pay double to our American cousins.
canada.gif

Quote:

I found in my local walmart 0W-40 for 22.97 for 4liters.I wish all motor oils in Canada come down in price . There is our par dollar and we still pay double to our American cousins.
canada.gif

They did. I bought some jugs of Pennziol Platinum for $18 for my F150.
cheers.gif

I just bought a case of 4 jugs of XD-3 0W30 for $18.66/4l jug from my local Esso bulk supplier. The price for the 0W40 was only slightly more tham the 0W30 and cheaper than Walmart by a couple of bucks per jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back