Wrong oil put in Jeep ecodiesel

Way back when TDI PDs were new, VW said the oil had to meet their 505.01 standard to properly lubricate the engine. That standard allowed for a low quality Castrol synthetic blend, but not Mobil 1 TDT or Shell T6. Finally, someone on the TDI Page said, "Screw it, I am using Mobil 1 TDT and I will let you know what happens." The end result is just about everyone uses either TDT or T6 in their PD TDIs. I have been using TDT for about 217,000 miles now. Before that, I used a European 505.01 because I knew the Castrol was low grade oil.

I am also careful to cool down my turbo before shutting it off after hard running. That is the main lesson, no matter what oil you are using, always cool you turbo after a long, hard run. Never just shut your engine off at the top of the hill without letting it idle for about 5 minutes. You want your exhaust gasses to be down to 300 degrees.
With watercooled turbos' and synthetic oil this is a non issue. That is not to say you should shut it right off after high loads but the few mins you take sitting at the light or off ramp is more than enough especially on a small TDI turbo. Also exhaust gases will never be 300F in a modern diesel with a DPF/SCR. I never once idled my TDIs' in all years of ownership.

I had both QS Euro 5W-40 API SP and SN+. Interestingly they sold the SN+ after the SP through Walmart. They shipped SN+ to me a couple of times instead of SP and I just took it back to the local store. It's stupid. This was a while back so by now they should be done with old batches and they should ship SP again.
SN+version was already exceeding SP. it was not problem to slap SP on that old batch bcs. it is anyway very good oil.

The 505.01 standard was to so-called "protect" the camshaft the drives the Pumpe-Duse injectors from excessive wear.
That’s my recollection. Mine was fine when I got rid of it at 314k. The turbo snapped though at 250k, maybe 505.01 related, not sure.

That’s my recollection. Mine was fine when I got rid of it at 314k. The turbo snapped though at 250k, maybe 505.01 related, not sure.
I used 505.01 only Repsol in fleet of 1.9TDI PD vehicles my brother and I had. VW Caddy and Skoda Octavia. None ever had issues and some made 600k km before we got rid of them.

I used 505.01 only Repsol in fleet of 1.9TDI PD vehicles my brother and I had. VW Caddy and Skoda Octavia. None ever had issues and some made 600k km before we got rid of them.
Not sure what did my turbo in. Forget what I used, mostly Motul, on 10k OCI's, although I did let it creep outwards of 12-14k towards the end, as I was mostly highway driving. Maybe I just didn't drive it right? I got on it on a regular basis, blow out the carbon, but the turbo shaft snapped in half all the same.

Put in a bigger turbo after that, got it tuned and it's one of the vehicles that I miss the most. I shouldn't have gotten rid of it, but the family hated the car, and I'm not a mechanic and couldn't work on it whatever was coming up for it, and I didn't feel like driving hours anymore to get work done. Rust was catching up (I had patched several holes already). Off it went.

Anyhow. Off-tangent.

With watercooled turbos' and synthetic oil this is a non issue. That is not to say you should shut it right off after high loads but the few mins you take sitting at the light or off ramp is more than enough especially on a small TDI turbo. Also exhaust gases will never be 300F in a modern diesel with a DPF/SCR. I never once idled my TDIs' in all years of ownership.
I can’t comment on the newer cr190 turbos that have incorporated water cooling in the mk7+ tdi’s… But I can tell you that modern 3.0 ecodiesels with dpf scr systems run silly hot…. Our “average” egt temp Pre dpf is 700* and regularly visits 1300, max I have seen is 1500. It’s absolutely silly how hot these new systems run. Temperature readings are all monitored by ScanGauge3 (stock tune)

Are you referring to exhaust exit/tip temp not hitting 300*?

I can’t comment on the newer cr190 turbos that have incorporated water cooling in the mk7+ tdi’s… But I can tell you that modern 3.0 ecodiesels with dpf scr systems run silly hot…. Our “average” egt temp Pre dpf is 700* and regularly visits 1300, max I have seen is 1500. It’s absolutely silly how hot these new systems run. Temperature readings are all monitored by ScanGauge3 (stock tune)

Are you referring to exhaust exit/tip temp not hitting 300*?
Older MkIVs had no after treatment except a somewhat useless 2 way catalytic converter. So I'd imagine 300F might be possible but still fairly foolhardy. Anything since the mid 90s has had water-cooling.

Older MkIVs had no after treatment except a somewhat useless 2 way catalytic converter. So I'd imagine 300F might be possible but still fairly foolhardy. Anything since the mid 90s has had water-cooling.
I think we are confused on terms here when I say “water cooled” I mean literally- the new CR190 turbos have coolant that circulates through the turbo for cooling. This is new as of mkvii tdi’s…

When you are explaining “water cooled” you are referring to water cooled motors- with use of a radiator….

I think we are confused on terms here when I say “water cooled” I mean literally- the new CR190 turbos have coolant that circulates through the turbo for cooling. This is new as of mkvii tdi’s…

When you are explaining “water cooled” you are referring to water cooled motors- with use of a radiator….
Coolant line connections circled in red.

Attachments

• FA9B845A-77B6-40CB-8724-56A6F1AC5160.jpeg
    FA9B845A-77B6-40CB-8724-56A6F1AC5160.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 7
the VM ecodiesel was made and sold in markets where CK4 and E9 oils are not used in passenger vehicles. passenger car engine uses passenger car oil

case closed

No water cooling of turbos is older than MKVII, I know what I am referring to. Water cooled or water cooling on turbos is nothing new and has been around since the late 80's probably. The same thing with water cooled EGR on diesels.

So having worked at a whole slew of manufacturers as a tech, the water cooled turbo does absolutely nothing for the turbo on a shutdown. When the oil supply is shut off, and the turbine is still spinning 100,000 plus rpm, oil supply shut off, bearing is taking the beating, even with the synthetic oil. Ford for the powerstoke wants the engine idled 10 minutes after certain parameters are met. In PTS it’s recommended the oil temp be 194 before shutting off engine. I personally have a 19 F350 SRW to tow my 42 foot grand design 5th wheel. While towing oil temp can get up to 220 degrees, it takes the truck almost 15 minutes of idling to drop the oil temp to 194 degrees. With the truck unloaded oil temp runs 206-210 and takes 3-5 minutes to bring oil temp to 194 degrees. I always idle the truck to cool down, bc as a ford tech I have replaced and have seen several replaced turbos due to hot shutdowns. You can always hear the engine on a hot shutdown as well as it’s rough. On a proper shutdown engine shuts down nice and smooth. Moral of story, turbo cooldown is important, don’t matter if it’s water cooled, doesn’t help bearing in turbo.

So having worked at a whole slew of manufacturers as a tech, the water cooled turbo does absolutely nothing for the turbo on a shutdown. When the oil supply is shut off, and the turbine is still spinning 100,000 plus rpm, oil supply shut off, bearing is taking the beating, even with the synthetic oil. Ford for the powerstoke wants the engine idled 10 minutes after certain parameters are met. In PTS it’s recommended the oil temp be 194 before shutting off engine. I personally have a 19 F350 SRW to tow my 42 foot grand design 5th wheel. While towing oil temp can get up to 220 degrees, it takes the truck almost 15 minutes of idling to drop the oil temp to 194 degrees. With the truck unloaded oil temp runs 206-210 and takes 3-5 minutes to bring oil temp to 194 degrees. I always idle the truck to cool down, bc as a ford tech I have replaced and have seen several replaced turbos due to hot shutdowns. You can always hear the engine on a hot shutdown as well as it’s rough. On a proper shutdown engine shuts down nice and smooth. Moral of story, turbo cooldown is important, don’t matter if it’s water cooled, doesn’t help bearing in turbo.
On my previous gas turbo cars, water cooled turbo did do something on shutdown, the car had an auxiliary electric coolant pump that continued to circulate coolant to prevent oil coking and the engine fans continued running during this time also

My ancient TDI... that was just oil cooled.

On my previous gas turbo cars, water cooled turbo did do something on shutdown, the car had an auxiliary electric coolant pump that continued to circulate coolant to prevent oil coking and the engine fans continued running during this time also

My ancient TDI... that was just oil cooled.
The reason for the water cooled turbo is for heat soak. The bearing is still reliant on oil circulation to remove the heat and allow the turbine to spool down. You can hear a hot shutdown on a diesel as it’s rough on shutdown, when it’s been idled down properly, it’s a nice smooth shutdown.

The reason for the water cooled turbo is for heat soak. The bearing is still reliant on oil circulation to remove the heat and allow the turbine to spool down. You can hear a hot shutdown on a diesel as it’s rough on shutdown, when it’s been idled down properly, it’s a nice smooth shutdown.
And... if the oil stays stagnant, you get oil coking, as mentioned earlier.... which is more of an issue on conventional oil. Group III and IV oils are a little more resistant to oil coking.

Back in the day, aftermarket turbo timers can be installed to idle the engine automatically after you turn the key to "off" to keep the oil circulating for a set amount of time.

Express lane tech probably saw 5w40 on cap put in what he’s used to using. Didn’t look up the spec online on dealer connect.
One ford dealer I worked for we used 15w40, another ford dealer I worked for the advisor asked customer what the truck was used for and that was determined if 10w30 or 5w40 was used. 15w40 according to manual was used for bio diesel (B20).

And... if the oil stays stagnant, you get oil coking, as mentioned earlier.... which is more of an issue on conventional oil. Group III and IV oils are a little more resistant to oil coking.

Back in the day, aftermarket turbo timers can be installed to idle the engine automatically after you turn the key to "off" to keep the oil circulating for a set amount of time.
It is pretty interesting to me that turbo-timers haven’t become a standard thing from the factory. I’m sure it kills the fuel economy averaging etc. and this is why it’s never turned into a “norm”… sure would be nice though.

No water cooling of turbos is older than MKVII, I know what I am referring to. Water cooled or water cooling on turbos is nothing new and has been around since the late 80's probably. The same thing with water cooled EGR on diesels.
Having been a VW enthusiast for a couple decades, would you mind sharing some examples of water cooled turbos on any VW/Audi platform Pre mk7? Seriously just interested in learning about it. If retrofitting a water cooled turbo wasn’t such a headache I would have a cr190 turbo on my cr140’s…

I own 2 Ecodiesel vehicles. 2013 Jeep and 2014 Ram.
In Europe, we started getting diesel Jeep already in 2011. My WK2 is build in 2013. So mine is first gen engine version... or so I think anyway!
Now, remember 2010 model Jeep WK had an 3.0 liter Mercedes engine in it. It reguired MB229.51 rating for the oil.
My 2013 user manual still states that oil for the diesel version has to meet Mercedes MB229.51 spec!!!
They didn´t even double checked the manual for the spec on the VM engines. Funny!
But I run Petro Canada Duron UHP and SHP oils all day long.... in both trucks. Previously CJ-4 and now CK4 spec. I highly recommend them.

Back