Would You use Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm no oil genius, never have claimed to be but what it sounds like you're saying is Supertech is just as good as Mobil 1, well in that case Pennzoil is just as good as Quaker State, and Chevron is just as good as Rotella, and Kendall is just as good as Amsoil. Well in that case since all oils are just as good, price doesn't matter, generics are just fine then I guess this entire forum must be 100% irrelevant and everyone should use ANY oil at the owners manual's recommended weight.

Despite the sarcasm, you're probably right for most users under most conditions.

I worry more about my transmissions than my engines.

I think a lot of what goes on in these forums is more in the line of the famous question:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

The basis for the question is the idea that there are better things to do than debate topics that have no practical value. Someone performs regular (not necessarily frequent) oil changes with a reputable oil filter and an API SN oil. That's pretty much what's needed for long engine life. Even some of the stuff we discuss about UOAs might even be more or less meaningless in terms of the ultimate longevity of engines. I have my preferences, but someone buys a basic motor oil and performs regular maintenance is more than likely to achieve the same results as someone who prefers PYB or Castrol GTX. So what do we need - validation that we made the right choice by paying $16 for PYB vs $12 for Super Tech? Just enjoy your vehicle and worry about more important things, like that jerk who just flipped you off after cutting in front of you.

Of course there are the outlier cases where an engine truly is hard on motor oil, like the Honda VCM engines.

Never used it because I just want to use some other oils. Cost more too. But if money was tight, then I'd have no problem using it.

I use St stuff all the time. From ATF, gear oil, engine oil & even their grease. Works great on everything I have tried it on. Motor oil UOA's were great so why use anything else? Most people think they are just too good for it.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I use St stuff all the time. From ATF, gear oil, engine oil & even their grease. Works great on everything I have tried it on. Motor oil UOA's were great so why use anything else? Most people think they are just too good for it.

Well some of us just don't believe in (and subsequently don't shop at) Walmart
wink.gif

Ironically, OVERKILL, up here, ST (or whatever it's called now) is one of the better things about Walmart. At least it's priced right and comes in some creative packaging sizes, as opposed to every other conventional costing exactly $24.88 per five litre jug from Castrol to Valvoline. Multiply roughly by two and you get the magic synthetic price. Multiply by two and a bit and you get the magic high end synthetic price.

Nonetheless, while some people do have a need for a 5 gallon pail of SAE 30 PCMO at a very good price, I don't, and am more than a bit disappointed with Walmart as of late, and that's just their oil aisle. Most everything else goes a little beyond disappointment.
wink.gif

Wow, prices in Canada must be insane. It's about $16.27 for 5 quarts of MaxLife and Castrol GTX at Walmart in the U.S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I have no problems using their oil, carb cleaner and brake cleaner. Their transmission fluid is where you might want to be careful.

Yeah???

I regularly use their or other house brand fluid from Advance, AZ etc without issue... Usually I'll check the Advance circular and buy online or on sale then walk across the street to get it(well I ride if it's a case)... I'm surely not chasing all over town to get "that deal"...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Wow, prices in Canada must be insane. It's about $16.27 for 5 quarts of MaxLife and Castrol GTX at Walmart in the U.S.

GTX, ironically, is very well priced up here. It's very hard to rip on GTX, since it's always on sale somewhere. Anyone paying the normal approximately $25 per five litre jug of GTX has been hosed more than usual. It's extremely easy to get it for $15 or less here.

For HM oils, though, that's tough. The traditional rollback price on HM oils (be it Walmart, CT, Partsource, or NAPA) is $19.99 for five litres ($29.88 or more regular price). Canadian Tire's last special on Castrol HM was actually closer to $18, though. As for MaxLife, I can't ever remember paying less than about $20 for a jug.

I have a '10 Civic Si. I'm considering it using it. Most of my driving is easy, with occasionally opening the throttle and letting her rev to 8200. I also change it according to the maintenance minder, which is about every 4000-5000 miles. My manual even makes it sound like the engine was developed using conventional oil. It says something along the lines, "Synthetic oil is ok, as long as it meets the spec."

Here's my question though: how do I get the Supertech Synthetic that's on PQIA's website? http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/supertech.htm

I like the Boron and slightly higher viscosity (than most SN/GF5 oils). Is there something on the bottle that will tell me who makes this version of Supertech? Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
"they are so cheap" cheap price=cheap oil..no way!!

That's the most ignorant thing I think I've ever heard. Expensive must always mean good then?
They are cheaper because they don't blow money on celebrity endorsements, ad placements at NASCAR and NHRA events, and testing for requirements that the average people-of-walmart would not even understand anyway.

I have been running ST dino in my maxima for four years now with 294,000+ on the odometer and still sounding/running great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
"they are so cheap" cheap price=cheap oil..no way!!

That's the most ignorant thing I think I've ever heard. Expensive must always mean good then?
They are cheaper because they don't blow money on celebrity endorsements, ad placements at NASCAR and NHRA events, and testing for requirements that the average people-of-walmart would not even understand anyway.

I have been running ST dino in my maxima for four years now with 294,000+ on the odometer and still sounding/running great.

Keep in mind he's the guy that tries to sell everybody on ss filters, take what he says with a grain of salt.

I've used ST many times on cars I was selling that needed fresh oil. Never had an issue with noise on any of them. If I wasn't always getting a deal on name brand stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for my own rides. ST is fine for most applications.

I put 200k on my first 528e using it. I bought the car used with a 150k on it. My current stable is being driven less and also consume less between changes, so I have switched to AZ store brand and have to make only one stop to buy stuff for the next change. I have pretty much proved to myself that the most important thing about PCMO is keeping the crank case full.
laugh.gif

Here's my logic:

For me, I like syn oils.
So does Syn ST meet the most robust specifications that I care about AND that Ford Motor Company specifies? (For me that's a combo of WSS-M2C930-A, SN, GF-5 and Dexos 1)
If yes, go
If no, no

I would have no problem using super tech, but with the BITOG addiction I have I have a stash now of FAR/discounted oil so I have no need to buy ST.

In fact, my farm has quite a bit of equipment running 24/7 and everything now is from my FAR/discount stash. Thank y'all so much for helping my family out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back