Would you run a fram ultra for two changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
How often are we going to do this topic? I feel like we talk about it weekly... If you type “Fram ultra 2 oci” into google the first two hits are BITOG and the first one links like 5 threads...

The third hit is good for a laugh too... ought to sick Jay on that one, in fact I think I will...

There are many filters here that have been run more than 1 OCI and some manufacturers actually recommend it.

Duckryder: great point. I personally and running my TG-4386 for 3 5k oci’s, maybe 4 :^)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If you type “Fram ultra 2 oci” into google the first two hits are BITOG and the first one links like 5 threads...

The third hit is good for a laugh too...

lol.gif
... Yeah, that guy doesn't know jack about oil filters. Guess he never looked at the efficiency and holding capacity specs between the two filters. Only goes by the "looks" of the media.

IMO, if you are going through the time and expense to put fresh oil in the engine, why not go ahead and change the filter as well and get out as much of the dirty stuff as possible?

You bought the vehicle new -- have quality oil & filters in it from day one I suspect? Run the Fram Ultra twice & call it a day -- im sure your motor has very clean internals running Mobil One & good filtration. I personally run Fram Ultras twice on my Acura at 7500 mile intervals & three times on my Ram at 3000 mile intervals. No matter what oil I use in the Ram -- conventional or synthetic -- it is black by 1500 miles. Been that way since I bought it in 2010 with 62,013 original miles. The Acura oil is always just a golden brown/somewhat dark when I change it at 7500 miles using only synthetic. Been that way since I bought it in 2011 with 87,266 miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow the owners manual, that's what all the filter makers say to do. The mileage claim says up to, not at, 20K. Almost everyone is severe service according to a manual. So it's not the higher 10k or whatever number. The advantage not to change could be less start up wear for the initial start if the filter isn't prefilled. Even if filter is base up the initial start has to fill the galleries above the filter first. Otherwise for me I spend the big money and change it every time.
You could probably devise a way to weigh the filter filled with oil before and after and then see when you have reached the filters holding capacity. Would have to be filled exactly the same and have a good scale.

I run them for 2 OCI's. The CRV manual actually says to this anyways for regular service duty, and we do mostly highway trips over 20 min so I run the oil and filters a bit over the factory OCI's.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I run them for 2 OCI's. The CRV manual actually says to this anyways for regular service duty, and we do mostly highway trips over 20 min so I run the oil and filters a bit over the factory OCI's.

Yep, on Hondas and other manufactures who say change the oil filter every 2x OCI and use an OLM to determine oil changes, the filter certainly could be on the engine for 20K miles. Might be one reason Fram extended the up to 20K miles recommendation after seeing it could do it.

When I change oil(I do it myself) I try to drain as much old oil as possible. Just my way of doin it.

i love what your saying, stick to the facts. At FRAM we spent $$$$$$$$$ dollars testing for the 20k claim, our lawyers made us do it. So a years worth of engineering research proving it can easily go 20k based on facts and ISO testing. I FEEL like that was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
After lots of research, and info on this site I began using the Fram ultra for my truck. I have been changing them every 5k with the oil, but I bet they could hold up to at least 10k. I'd be a little worried because of the size of the filter compared to others, but in an otherwise clean engine why not. The biggest reason I dont leave them on longer is warranty issues. I want to show that 1 filter was used per OCI to cover me for any warranty issues.

Like most I believe if I'm going through the effort of the oil change, just change the filter. At the same time once I get to around 15k-20k miles I may just keep them on for two changes, once everythings broken in.

Originally Posted By: tig1
When I change oil(I do it myself) I try to drain as much old oil as possible. Just my way of doin it.
I swapped motors on my 2L Gen Coupe. when I had the old motor on the stand I drained the oil. Then turned it upside down. I bet better than half a quart still came out. Defiantly more that what the Fram XG9688 holds.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yep, on Hondas and other manufactures who say change the oil filter every 2x OCI and use an OLM to determine oil changes, the filter certainly could be on the engine for 20K miles. Might be one reason Fram extended the up to 20K miles recommendation after seeing it could do it.

and that's the problem I have with Honda. my 1.5t 17' civic will annihilate the oil color in 1k miles. I can't imagine leaving a FU on 20k let alone 10k in that engine. this engine reminds me of my 03' Cummins diesel I used to have. it's just sickening especially my other two vehicles are easy pesy on oil.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: tig1
I swapped motors on my 2L Gen Coupe. when I had the old motor on the stand I drained the oil. Then turned it upside down. I bet better than half a quart still came out. Defiantly more that what the Fram XG9688 holds.

+1. that's why I try to drain as much oil as possible.

I drain it and go for 10 drops per minute before the plug goes back in. Still going to be a half a quart or so in the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back