Would you really help out a STRANGER Jump Start / Change Flat Tire / Buy Gas ?

Someone tried to scam me once, so it's become easier (and safer!) for me to generalize everyone as pure evil now.
9 out of 10 times you would be right. To many meth heads around here and you can't tell just by looking at them any more, some even have all their teeth.

I've done everything except buy gas for someone. My Schumacher jump starter doesn't work any more (it's 15 years old) but I've used it many times over the years, and about half of them were random. Either someone looking like they needed a jump in a parking lot, or I heard someone ask if anyone had jumper cables (and the box works much better). I haven't helped anyone change a tire, but once someone needed to change a flat and he didn't have a jack (not sure how that happens). I just used my standard screw jack and helped him out with it, although he changed the tire.

I did have a case where someone helped me out with jumper cables when my box was dead, so I guess I got some help too.

If I 'pay' for someone's gas, I will be pumping it myself directly into their car or prepaying indoors. I will never hand ANYONE cash or use online money services to do so. Unfortunately I have learned this lesson the hard way. Not to mention, that gas is a very frequently requested item from those that are drug seeking or using cash for other recreational purposes.

As a child of a drug addict, I know exactly where that money goes. It didn't go to me. That's for sure.

I just had the discussion with coworkers the other day, that I formerly carried BOGO coupons for fast food restaurants. If I would see a homeless person on the way to get food, I would order double and give the food to them. If they actually need it, they will eat anything. No loss here either.

The only thing I took away from that whole deal, is who the hell in their right mind would pay a cover charge to see those 4 strip?

Last edited:
I have helped a few strangers change a flat tire...always a female (men should be able to change a flat without help). My reasoning was that I would hope somebody would help my wife or daughter in the same situation. PS: I hope this doesn't make me a 'chauvinist' in our current hyper sensitive environment.

Stopped at an Exxon a few weeks ago to get gas, the elderly lady next to me looked at me several times. I'm dressed 1000x better than anyone else and she is very obviously wealthy and way outside of her comfort zone. I said hi and she said sir can you help me? Went over and it turns out she has never pumped gas before. She is from a really small town and her friends take her car to get gas. She handed me her credit card and started to grab the pump, I put the card in the reader and started to tell her to never hand her card to a stranger at night in a big city....but I didn't because this lady is never ever coming back to the city. She was so confused and hopeless. I asked her what brought her to Richmond and she said she had to come here for a Dr. visit. I put 2 and 2 together and figured out she probably just got bad news from a dr and was in some kind of shock. Asked her if I could call someone to come get her because she was over an hour away from home. Told her I would stay with her if it helped. She declined and once her car was filled up, she got in and left. She was as sweet as could be and it made me feel good that I was able to help her. I really hope she doesn't return here, and if so hopefully during the daytime and with a friend.

... The only thing I dislike about jumping others is pushy people who want to take charge of the operation, and they almost always want to connect the batteries directly in parallel...I'm sorry, I'm in electronics and you NEVER connect two batteries directly in parallel. Often these people are not even the owners of the car that won't start. Gotta have some kind of added resistance in series beyond the cables themselves...I was jumping another parent from my daughter's team at a softball tournament and some guy tried to push me away from my car, saying, "I'm a fireman, let me take care of this." I had to tell him to get his hands off my car and my cables!! Of course, he wanted to connect the batteries directly in parallel...if I'm offering to give somebody a jump, it gets done MY way or I don't do it, I'm sorry if somebody else doesn't like it.
A series connection results in excessive voltage unless one adds resistance to the series circuit. A parallel connection with a good battery provides nominal voltage with additional current - exactly what one wants when jumping another vehicle. Do you apply jumper cables in series and add resistance to maintain voltage less than 14.6 volts? Are you inferring that a parallel jump start (pos to pos and neg to neg) always results in damage to either/both vehicles?

Last edited:
I had some steaks left over from Shop an’ Save sale week ago. Gf and I donated them, some cornbread mixes, canned goods to food bank near goodwill and shop n save last night after work

A series connection results in excessive voltage unless one adds resistance to the series circuit. A parallel connection with a good battery provides nominal voltage with additional current - exactly what one wants when jumping another vehicle. Do you apply jumper cables in series and add resistance to maintain voltage less than 14.6 volts? Are you inferring that a parallel jump start (pos to pos and neg to neg) always results in damage to either/both vehicles?
I have jump started many cars and never had an issue but this post makes me wonder if I've been doing it correctly. What is the proper way?

If I'm alone I will generally help people with a jump start or tire change. If my family is with me I don't stop. I don't give anyone cash but I have bought meals to give to people and I've paid for someone's groceries when their card was declined.

I've given gas, jumps started and changed tires. Always sizing up the surroundings first of course.
Craziest thing I've done was coming to a 4 way stop and the car to my left was there way before me and I was turning left so I waited and waited until I finally got a glimpse of the driver slumped over towards the center consol. So I turned left and was basically drivers door to drivers door with the guy whose window was down so I rolled down my window and yelled and beeped and the guy flinched and the car setting on a steep incline started rolling backwards a block away from a very busy 4 lane state route. I immediately exited my car caught up with the car rolling backwards and reached in quickly to put the car into park. Called 911 and took the keys and waited for the police to arrive. The guy was breathing normally but was profusely sweating, it was like 65 that day. Never found out if he was drunk/drugged or hypoglycemic as I left as the police arrived and I told thr officers where the keys were and what happened.
Thinking back on it i still don't think I'd done anything differently because all I could think of was the car rolling backwards into 45 mph traffic.

On a trip to NYC a homeless man asked me for some food money. He was right in front of a restaurant, I offered to buy him dinner inside....he refused. Gas station the other day, I hear someone yelling "sir can you help me!", I thought it was maybe a scam of some kind. Nope, it was a gas station employee who locked herself inside the dumpster hut lol.

This cold and freezing morning during work I had to stop by at a local Starbucks Coffeehouse, notice a late model Honda with out of state license plates with it's hood open parked right at the entrance, female inside glanced at me. After taking care of business purchasing gift cards 5 minutes later, I waved at her from the driver's side door, and asked if she need a jump.

I grabbed my Powerstation PSX2 w/ air compressor lead acid jump starter (got cheap from thrift store, replaced w/ an original 5 year old 18AH battery from an old Harbor Freight jump starter) , it fired right up for her, notice her car battery is 3.5 years old, recommended her to try to claim warranty and have her alternator tested. She was very grateful, flattered me by be calling me 'an angel', asked about my unit, I told her you really shouldn't need anything like this, if so they make portable ones that fit in your glove compartment, and wished her well.

So I got back to my car and I thought... right in front me was men in a brand new all blacked out highline GMC pickup truck on their phones outside talking in the parking lot... This lady I estimate was inside her freezing car for well over 30 minutes, obviously she didn't have roadside assistance, she was not homeless, she was trying to get a hold somebody (local friend)??? The Starbucks was busy and had a line, people inside on their laptops, people coming and going - no one helped her.

Many people saw, no one came.

Anyhoo, I helped jump started maybe 20 times on that original SLA battery. One time I was pushing a cart with some goodies back to my car at a Walmart and a stranger approached me asking if I could help for a jump, he was a driver for elderly wheelchair bound clients, zero problems starting a 3.0L Mercedes Diesel van. He probably asked me because I was both a male and was a bit gruffy looking!

I've only helped known people change their tires maybe 5 times in my life.

I've helped two strangers out of gas in my life. The last time, a couple of years ago, I was pretty sure it was a scammer afterwards. $10.00 bucks each.

I don't know... Strangers have help me, or strangers have help my friends when I was riding with them, I've seen & felt the care & generosity of people first hand. I'm proud of helping people in need, when I can. Just sometimes a bit surprised that the vast majority chooses to ignore the signs for help.

I don't help pan-handlers, stopped that many years ago.
This might sound out there but my buddy Tim was caught up in a high speed chase with Missouri Highway Patrol. He was Not being chased but spike strips blew out one tire. Several other HP were on hard shoulder with blown tired. Tim fixed all HP tires and they paid for 3 for his car

Cell phones changed things.....

but I do stop and ask if they need help, it's more for intelligence information than a good Samaritan. I will give them a jump, a ride or deliver a gallon of gas(but when you run out of gas, you can burn up your fuel pump)
....and friends I know, If I got time, I'll use my AAA account on them. I also conceal carry.

I have not push rolled a disable vehicle out of an intersection yet, but I've seen it done.

Back