Would you really help out a STRANGER Jump Start / Change Flat Tire / Buy Gas ?

When I first moved to FL. in 1987 I always cashed my checks on Friday afternoons after work. One time a man came up to my window and asked to borrow $13 for a new fan belt. I told him to just get in and we can go get it. He said he could not because his wife and kids were waiting for him in his truck. Right across the street was an AZ. I told him I would go to the AZ and buy the belt myself. He started getting mad and walked away. I just sat in my truck to see what his next move was. He got some money from another stranger, went into the little store next to the bank, and came out with a brown paper bag. Next thing you know, it was bottoms up.
I was in Miami not too far from the airport and I saw a guy on the side of the road with his hood up, hazard lights on and waving his arms trying to get me to pull over

It was around 11 PM and I was NOT going to stop to see what he needed. This was around 25 years ago when there was a rash of German tourists being targeted by ‘bump and rob’ thugs.

Back then rental cars could be easily identified by their license plate, the state had to change it to reduce tourists being followed from the airport on their way to Miami Beach and bumped from behind and very easy targets.
That particular issue was so bad that FL started letting snowbird Canadians temp register their cars because of that . It was a massive crime wave and they loved to pick on tourists and Canadians knowing they weren't armed. I heard about this constantly while I was working at the border. IIRC the rental car companies changed the plating and window stickers so their cars weren't so obvious to roaming bandits.
Fast forward last year I saw sonething on this on one of those true crime shows. This crazy rash of robberies that ended in the murder of that German tourist was caused by just 3 kids. The ring leader was some trailer park girl her boyfriend and his buddy. They had all of Southern Fla on edge for a few years robbing people blind until one of them got nervous and pulled that trigger. Weird how much trouble one idiot with an idea can cause isn't it.

Chivalry is dead. And women killed it.

I'd elaborate on that, but I wouldn't want to be accused of toxicity and mansplaining.

Though that's not the main reason why culture has degraded and fewer people are willing to help others.

I think you can blame it more on crime as guys get stuck on the road just like women. See the story above, I heard about that one also.

Now I think it's even more suspicious, if you break down, you should have a cell phone in order to call someone for help.

I will always help someone. Sometimes knowing its a scam. Not bragging. Just my nature. I have much to be thankful for.

So do I if the situation is safe, not on a dark night in a high crime area.

This cold and freezing morning during work I had to stop by at a local Starbucks Coffeehouse, notice a late model Honda with out of state license plates with it's hood open parked right at the entrance, female inside glanced at me. After taking care of business purchasing gift cards 5 minutes later, I waved at her from the driver's side door, and asked if she need a jump.

I grabbed my Powerstation PSX2 w/ air compressor lead acid jump starter (got cheap from thrift store, replaced w/ an original 5 year old 18AH battery from an old Harbor Freight jump starter) , it fired right up for her, notice her car battery is 3.5 years old, recommended her to try to claim warranty and have her alternator tested. She was very grateful, flattered me by be calling me 'an angel', asked about my unit, I told her you really shouldn't need anything like this, if so they make portable ones that fit in your glove compartment, and wished her well.

So I got back to my car and I thought... right in front me was men in a brand new all blacked out highline GMC pickup truck on their phones outside talking in the parking lot... This lady I estimate was inside her freezing car for well over 30 minutes, obviously she didn't have roadside assistance, she was not homeless, she was trying to get a hold somebody (local friend)??? The Starbucks was busy and had a line, people inside on their laptops, people coming and going - no one helped her.

Many people saw, no one came.

Anyhoo, I helped jump started maybe 20 times on that original SLA battery. One time I was pushing a cart with some goodies back to my car at a Walmart and a stranger approached me asking if I could help for a jump, he was a driver for elderly wheelchair bound clients, zero problems starting a 3.0L Mercedes Diesel van. He probably asked me because I was both a male and was a bit gruffy looking!

I've only helped known people change their tires maybe 5 times in my life.

I've helped two strangers out of gas in my life. The last time, a couple of years ago, I was pretty sure it was a scammer afterwards. $10.00 bucks each.

I don't know... Strangers have help me, or strangers have help my friends when I was riding with them, I've seen & felt the care & generosity of people first hand. I'm proud of helping people in need, when I can. Just sometimes a bit surprised that the vast majority chooses to ignore the signs for help.

I don't help pan-handlers, stopped that many years ago.
Always. I even have the handicap of my bosses companies name all over my truck but I will always give out a boost if needed. Last time it was to the local masonry/concrete guys I see regularly on site. I will not refuse to help another person unless they seem off or untrustworthy.

back in the early 2000's I carried a jump pack in my car, and I jump started several customers cars. just b/c it was the right thing to do.
I also operate under the philosophy of " if I give a Stranger $20 for whatever, and I never see that person again.... it was probably worth the $20."

Five days ago on i95 I saw an older lady high up on the bank and her car had a flat tire.
I stopped for her and she was very slick for being 87 years old. Said she got up on the grassy bank in case someone hits her car.

She already called AAA and so I stayed with her until they arrived.
That is a scary situation for a lady of that age. I gave her a bottle of water and she gave me her phone number. I checked up on her later.
I did it for her and I.

I wouldn't want my mother alone in that situation. Great lady.

The thing about jump starting is the battery really the problem. Is something else jacked up on the car that will now mess up my vehicle? I always have a set of jumper cables in my truck, but it would but never have a multi meter

Nope. Perhaps it's a bleak outlook on the world, but I do believe no good deed goes unpunished and Murphy's law. Heaven forbid something short out while you're trying to jump them, or they have a catastrophic failure of their spare tire/jack failure while trying to change the tire, and they turn around and try to blame you. I'll call a tow truck and/or help push you out of the road if needed however.

I have warned people not to crack open their radiator caps after their car overheated though.
Yeah that's my attitude as well.

If I'm alone, yes. Have and will do so again.

If my toddler and/or wife is in the car with me, I won't. There's just too many dangerous people out there.

Last edited:
All the time. One of my winter hobbies is patrolling around and yanking people out of the ditch after snowstorms.

Sometimes it is very disappointing when people turn up their nose at helping another motorist. The most poignant example that I came across was one time when I was stuck in a large line of cars trying to leave a parking lot. I saw at the very front of the line that a van was stuck in the snow and couldn’t get out onto the road. This guy must have been stuck for a while cause I noticed the line while I was working my way through the Tim Horton’s drive thru. I got out and walked up to the the front of the line and told the guy I would push. He was almost in tears with frustration by this point and was so happy when I offered. One good push and he was on his way. On the way back to my truck everyone in the line looked at me like I was nuts.

I actually did this yesterday. Friend of a ci worker near Chester WV. Had flat tire and a worn out donut spare. Took him to Parsons Tire in Hookstown PA. Paid for his new tire and a new compact spare tire. We went to his apartment, I cooked him a meal, and we talked and coworker showed up and good visit. I’ll help anyone out long as I know/feel they won’t fubar me

I'm generally happy to help people out, but I have stopped giving them money/cash to help them out. Years ago I was on 95 in Conn. in one of the rest areas getting coffee, walking back to the car a guy stopped me asking if he could have $20 as the belt broke on his truck and he was trying to get home to VA. IT didn't seem legit to me but my wife wanted to help him so I gave him $20.00. Lo and behold a couple of weeks later the same guy stopped me again in another rest area on 95 with the same story! Lesson Learned.

I have, do, and will do, particularly in the winter around here. But, not money.

If it is just me, I do. I always try and check if they are in some sort of need. I figure if the person is an axe-wielding homicidal maniac, then, well, it is my chance to get away from it all.
If my wife is with me, I ask, and it is usually yes.

My sister and I made the drive from her home in Charlotte to my parents' home in Florida this past July, and we stopped at a rest area somewhere near the FL/GA border. As I was walking my sister's dog, a woman approached me to ask for a jump start, and pointed to her Malibu across the parking lot. I was just relieved she didn't ask me for 'gas money'. My sister returned from the restroom and gave me the side-eye for even engaging a stranger in the rest area parking lot. I may have felt a little differently if it had been a man, or if her passenger had been a man, but it was a woman and her older sister, so I jumped her car, and we went on our way. I was just happy it wasn't some kidnapping or money scheme and was happy to help, as I know it's not fun being stranded on the road.

Back