Would you really help out a STRANGER Jump Start / Change Flat Tire / Buy Gas ?

This cold and freezing morning during work I had to stop by at a local Starbucks Coffeehouse, notice a late model Honda with out of state license plates with it's hood open parked right at the entrance, female inside glanced at me. After taking care of business purchasing gift cards 5 minutes later, I waved at her from the driver's side door, and asked if she need a jump.

I grabbed my Powerstation PSX2 w/ air compressor lead acid jump starter (got cheap from thrift store, replaced w/ an original 5 year old 18AH battery from an old Harbor Freight jump starter) , it fired right up for her, notice her car battery is 3.5 years old, recommended her to try to claim warranty and have her alternator tested. She was very grateful, flattered me by be calling me 'an angel', asked about my unit, I told her you really shouldn't need anything like this, if so they make portable ones that fit in your glove compartment, and wished her well.

So I got back to my car and I thought... right in front me was men in a brand new all blacked out highline GMC pickup truck on their phones outside talking in the parking lot... This lady I estimate was inside her freezing car for well over 30 minutes, obviously she didn't have roadside assistance, she was not homeless, she was trying to get a hold somebody (local friend)??? The Starbucks was busy and had a line, people inside on their laptops, people coming and going - no one helped her.

Many people saw, no one came.

Anyhoo, I helped jump started maybe 20 times on that original SLA battery. One time I was pushing a cart with some goodies back to my car at a Walmart and a stranger approached me asking if I could help for a jump, he was a driver for elderly wheelchair bound clients, zero problems starting a 3.0L Mercedes Diesel van. He probably asked me because I was both a male and was a bit gruffy looking!

I've only helped known people change their tires maybe 5 times in my life.

I've helped two strangers out of gas in my life. The last time, a couple of years ago, I was pretty sure it was a scammer afterwards. $10.00 bucks each.

I don't know... Strangers have help me, or strangers have help my friends when I was riding with them, I've seen & felt the care & generosity of people first hand. I'm proud of helping people in need, when I can. Just sometimes a bit surprised that the vast majority chooses to ignore the signs for help.

I don't help pan-handlers, stopped that many years ago.

Last edited:
I just wished I had one of my many freebie HF multimeters to test battery resting voltage and charging voltage! I calibrated them against my more finer instrument!

Thanks for reading and replying everyone
smile.gif

I even have tire plugs in my vehicle, the only time I would need roadside assistance is if I lock my keys in my car, run out of gas, or total it!

Originally Posted by Ws6
It depends. At a busy Starbucks? Yeah.

My assumption was many people where capable of helping...

Surely a percentage of the public have immediate access to jumper cables or even a lithium jump starter.

But didn't want the hassle or possibility of getting dirty???

It me under 5 minutes, and I was dressed in professional business casual too, my hands didn't even get dirty nor needed to wash my hands, hood was already popped up.

Originally Posted by discountdon
Originally Posted by Ws6
It depends. At a busy Starbucks? Yeah.

My assumption was many people where capable of helping...

Surely a percentage of the public have immediate access to jumper cables or even a lithium jump starter.

But didn't want the hassle or possibility of getting dirty???

It me under 5 minutes, and I was dressed in professional business casual too, my hands didn't even get dirty nor needed to wash my hands, hood was already popped up.

I don't trust people. However, the odds of it being a ruse or ambush in your circumstance were super low, so I'd have helped. Work and dirt aren't the factor.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I don't trust people. However, the odds of it being a ruse or ambush in your circumstance were super low, so I'd have helped. Work and dirt aren't the factor.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Yeah I've done all the above in the fairly recent history. But then again with all the tales of muggings, robbery's, murders, and kidnappings which happens to people trying to do the right thing I understand.

https://fox61.com/2018/12/03/good-s...o-give-money-to-woman-with-help-me-sign/

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cr...hange-flat-tire-police-article-1.3386937

I could find another dozen examples in about 3 minutes.

Seriously this didn't even cross my mind, not one incident that I can recall in the 20+ years I've lived here.

Situation awareness, good reminder gentlemen... Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah I've done all the above in the fairly recent history. But then again with all the tales of muggings, robbery's, murders, and kidnappings which happens to people trying to do the right thing I understand.

Seriously this didn't even cross my mind, not one incident that I can recall in the 20+ years I've lived here.

Especially wrecks. Because many wrecks happen because the driver is drunk, doing drugs, etc. very liable to be erratic and violent.

Jumping someone off or airing a tire at a busy retail joint? Pretty low risk all in all.

Uptown, Starbucks, anywhere there are people. Yes. I have before. Help out in "where-you-shouldn't-be-ville?" No. I'll call a wrecker for ya.

In broad daylight at a busy location with other folks around? Sure, done it many times. At night, middle of nowhere with no one else around? Nope.

I've helped many people but can think of some reasons why other wouldn't...

- Don't have jumper cables

- You see a newer vehicle but don't notice plates, figure it needs more than a jump

- Feminists and paranoid people may not want you approaching them unless they ASK you to.

- Cellphones - a tow truck is probably already on the way if needed. If you can afford a newer vehicle you can afford self help.

- Don't have time, not dressed for it, no tools, etc - bad timing

- You siphoned your victim's gas out and jimmied their fuel sender feed so they wouldn't realize it's near empty, in order to strand them and now that you've accomplished your goal, trying to jump start a car with no gas would make no sense.
wink.gif

I have helped others and will continue to do so. However, I do it with some reluctance and great caution. And as long as we're in a public place, during the daylight houre and not down a dark alley, I feel safe.

Originally Posted by Ws6

You should be aware since you live directly in a dread zone. Downtown Seattle is like the Omega Man movie after dark.

Nope. Perhaps it's a bleak outlook on the world, but I do believe no good deed goes unpunished and Murphy's law. Heaven forbid something short out while you're trying to jump them, or they have a catastrophic failure of their spare tire/jack failure while trying to change the tire, and they turn around and try to blame you. I'll call a tow truck and/or help push you out of the road if needed however.

I have warned people not to crack open their radiator caps after their car overheated though.

Unfortunately my years employed in physical security had reenforced the fact when dealing with humans nothing is low risk. I'll continue to help but also I'm aware of more potential hazardous.

Yup,always ready to help but also totaly aware in those situations..Otherwords, never follow a person behind a building or down an alley......................

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Nope. Perhaps it's a bleak outlook on the world, but I do believe no good deed goes unpunished and Murphy's law. Heaven forbid something short out while you're trying to jump them, or they have a catastrophic failure of their spare tire/jack failure while trying to change the tire, and they turn around and try to blame you. I'll call a tow truck and/or help push you out of the road if needed however.

I have warned people not to crack open their radiator caps after their car overheated though.

Can't argue that.

It really, really depends. Years ago, I had just dropped my trailer/car off at the race track and was headed to the hotel. I still had my jack and tools in the back of the truck. On the way, which was down a dark highway, I noticed a car pulling over and noted a flat tire. I decided to loop around and see if they needed help. By the time I was back around, it was clear that it was a dad with three sons, who were unloading out of the car. I pulled up and asked if I could help, and he said sure. Since I had my tools, which included my impact, handy, it took me all of two minutes to change his tire out and get them on their way. I'm sure he appreciated not having to change a tire, while wrangling three small boys, while on the side of a very dark and narrow highway where people regularly did 80-90mph.

In the ciyt... I live in Houston... I generally drive on by. Too much risk, and it's not real hard to get a tow truck or whatever.

Last edited:
Back