Would you go out of your way for E0 gas?

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
My indy mech thinks I should try running E0 gas in the '02 Jeep, better for it, better mileage, run better. 2 places here sell it, both 20 minutes away and out of the way and it's at least 30cents/gallon more expensive. I'll try a tank at some point and see if the butt dyno measures a difference. The money not a big deal but would it be worth the bother running it? Does anyone swear by it?

I wouldn't spend the extra 30 cents/gallon even if it were nearby. E10 has around 2-3% less energy in it than E0, and you can expect the difference in mileage to be about the same.

For an engine that has known issues with ethanol, I'd use the E0. I go out of my way to get E0 for my carbureted engines, especially for longer term storage.

No, because all my vehicles are modern and made with materials that ethanol doesn't attack. Ethanol has less energy, yet it is an Octane booster, so it's not as simple as "which one has more energy equivalents". In modern systems, the benefits are negligible to undetectable without specialized equipment compared to regular E0.

I like the EO better and I get a bit better mpgs , I won't go out of my way to get it.

I wouldn't go out of my way for E0 unless it was for an engine/fuel system that really needed it. I don't have anything that NEEDS E0. That said, there is a Chevron station 1/4 mile from my house that sells E0 and that's what I run in my lawn mower, but only because the store is convenient and it gives me the warm fuzzies.

I do all of the time. When it's time to store the Mustang, I take the leisurely 40 minute drive to a E0 station for the fill up. When I'm in an area where it's available, I make sure to do a full top off before returning to the E10 Mandate area.

I have thought about trying a couple of tanks, just to see what the fuel mileage difference is. its more than .30 cents difference here though.

I use E-0 in my generator, and last fill of the season for my ope.

30% less energy in the 10% of ethanol says around 3% difference in fuel mileage to my simple mind. Probably doesn't work that way.
I'm pretty sure it does work like that if you ignore the octane increase. Do 4.0 jeeps notice octane differences?

I'm pretty sure it does work like that if you ignore the octane increase. Do 4.0 jeeps notice octane differences?
I don't think there is an octane boost. Straight cut gasoline is like 60 octane. They leave in various bits in order to boost the octane (or add in, but i'm pretty sure it's all derived from crude in the end). Using ethanol means using less of those other things to boost octane. It's still 87 octane when done.

I wouldn't drive out of my way for E0. I have a tough time believing any of my stuff would benefit. Now if the cost per mile was cheaper, then I'd entertain it.

I suppose I do use tru-fuel in my weedwack and chainsaw, so there is that. At a quart or two per year though... not quite much of a cost!

Back