Would you go 20k on TG10158?

Think I will be safe and just change it at 10k when i do the oil. Pray for me while I cuss Toyota's filter location. Putting the RCI skid plate on the wishlist.

How did previous filters off the same engine look? Any structural issues, or visible particles captured?
20k runs on XGs looked great, no noticable particles. Just dark from oil. Those have more structural support than TGs though.

Hello friends and Merry Christmas! Coming up on a 10k oil change on a 2014 4runner. Love the 4.0 but changing the filter is truly a pain on this vehicle. Cartridge application under a skid plate that halfway hangs in the way. I put a TG on last time instead of an XG (20k rated) due to the latter being out of stock. TG is "rated" for 15k but have seen a 30k run on a canister here. My question is would you go 20k on a cartridge tough guard? Should I run one for additional 10k? This is a well maintained very clean engine. Supplying some pics of a new one for reference. View attachment 81936View attachment 81935
I would probably have a heart attack if I went over 7.5K miles on an OCI.

Don’t be a wimp. Run it 20k and show the world that you’ve got the best truck ever made. I’m willing to bet ain’t jack gonna happen to it. So many stories of people running 30k+ on the original factory oil & filter and everything is just fine… apart from the sludge.

There’s no way that the oil filter will fall apart or fail at “only” 20k miles of use. It’s all marketing BS.

I do suggest you run a proper high capacity oil filter next time though 😁😜 but you have my blessings to run the current one to 20k and post your results. I’ll be waiting to say “I told you it’ll be fine” 😎

I’m right there with you 12k+ on my XG and I’m using a oil extractor every 5k. I have the TRD Pro skid plate it’s only 4 bolts and it’s off. Little bit of a pain to put it back on but better than the OEM skid plates and plastic plate. As much as you and I are changing the oil I wouldn’t lose sleep at 20k.

I can't seem to find the country of Korea on a map. It's either North or South...I doubt the State Dept references Korea.

Update:
I went 10k and pulled it. Glad I didn't go 20k looking at it.

20220203_191424.jpg
20220203_191449.jpg

Why ... because of the slight wave in the pleats? Nothing to worry about.
Well lol, maybe I will run the new one 20k 😁. I know I'd rather do that with the skid plate removals I just did to swap the filter.

Back