Would you go 20k on TG10158?

Hello friends and Merry Christmas! Coming up on a 10k oil change on a 2014 4runner. Love the 4.0 but changing the filter is truly a pain on this vehicle. Cartridge application under a skid plate that halfway hangs in the way. I put a TG on last time instead of an XG (20k rated) due to the latter being out of stock. TG is "rated" for 15k but have seen a 30k run on a canister here. My question is would you go 20k on a cartridge tough guard? Should I run one for additional 10k? This is a well maintained very clean engine. Supplying some pics of a new one for reference.
20211223_112153.jpg
20211223_112132.jpg

I have the same rig; I wouldn't push it past 10k.

And I hear you about the skid plate; I was super excited to get my RCI Metalworks armor last year, and they thought to put holes where the drain plug is, AND a removeable door under the filter. With the proper wrench, it takes 20 minutes tops.

I have the same rig; I wouldn't push it past 10k.

And I hear you about the skid plate; I was super excited to get my RCI Metalworks armor last year, and they thought to put holes where the drain plug is, AND a removeable door under the filter. With the proper wrench, it takes 20 minutes tops.
Toyota should have done this, great design.

Screenshot_20211223-113845_Chrome.jpg

How clean is the engine? What have your oci’s been? What mileage is on the vehicle!? Maybe I didn’t read carefully.
Religiously run 10k on a flavor of Mobil 1 extended performance or 0w40 which is current fill since we tow with it some. Have been leaving a FRAM XG on for 2 OCIs. About 130k on the 4runner. Engine is well taken care of and doesnt burn a drop.

Last edited:
That should be no problem at all on a clean engine. The TG10358 cartridge (smaller than TG10158, different COO, different construction) that I ran 25806 miles came out looking like new, even after I wicked most of the oil out. Nothing to see there ...

I wouldn't personally run any oil filter for 20k miles. Considering costs, doesn't make sense to me to run them that long.
I hear ya, the location of this filter is the reason i do it with XGs and they are rated for 20k. I may try the TG and post a pic of it here after. I dunno, I keep bouncing back and forth.

Yes. But with 3 OCIs.
Dave, the 4.0 in the 4Runner is an older design, port injected, and very easy on oil. Going 10,000 miles between changes with a good synthetic is a snap. On my '15 I got great UOA results doing so, even short tripping for the bulk of the OCI.

Different engines need different OCIs; it's no longer one-size-fits-all.

👍

It's rated for 15k but that's with the same oil. Changing the oil halfway through should extend the life of the filter a decent amount I would think.

15k is what they warranty the filter to, so that is the max I would go. If you're engine is clean (single owner, maintained, etc) you got a better case for 15k. If not I would a fewer short filter changes of 5k with an extra guard then switch. Also their warranty is 1 year max which I would not exceed.

Back