Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

I would not throw away a perfectly good cheeseburger.
I would likewise not throw away a perfectly good oil filter....
I also would not throw out a six back of beer.

When you throw out a oil filter with only minimal use/time, you're basically throwing away a good cheeseburger. Or a six pack of beer.

smashed-double-cheeseburger.jpg
six-packs-imported-beer-irvine-ca-may-four-beers-four-most-popular-brands-dos-equis-corona-extra-bass-guinness-41582095.jpg

I do change OE oil filter every 10K, and change the oil every 5K. I always use synthetic, and the dark oil I have is mostly comes from carbon cleaning with PEA-based cleaner on induction and fuel system

I don't like to write anything onto filter housings. It would look ugly
and I prefer my dealers not to know that I do intermediate changes
myself, as I let them do the regular (OLM) services. Mini and GTI use
cartridge filters sitting beneath a plastic cap. Granted, you couldn't
know that.

I already explained it. No need to repeat that.

Most is nice, almost all is better. Do you always perform just 'most' of
a job? I expected someone to take the word 'half' literally. I even had
an idea who, Charles. 😇
Personally if I reuse the filter I use some extremely cheap conventional to flush out whatever is left behind. Many on here will call it a waste but it comes back to "doing most of a job or all of it" in my mind too. Lol.
If I wasn't going to get all the old oil out I would have just bought another filter which cost a lot more than enough oil to briefly start it and flush it through.
I think I may have left one a third time but it was only when I had done a 3 oil changes at 3k or less with a Fram ultra and that was on my 350 olds which I know is as clean as new inside so it shouldn't be putting a lot in the filter. After seeing the inside of my trucks engine I think I'll do the filter every time from now on. Bad PCV and previous owners maintenance left it slightly sludgy inside.

After spending time reading and thinking on this, I'm of the opinion a quality oil filter is good for some combination weighted period of 5-10k miles and/or 12-18 months. Lower miles, more time, and vise versa more miles, less time.

And if you really consider it, you're extending the filter life when you dump out ~85% of the old motor oil and replace with fresh. That makes the filters job much easier - e.g. you have removed a significant amount of dirt by dumping the old oil.

If a filter is designed for 10k or 1 year, with the assumption that the same oil is used, it stands to reason that it might perform better or longer if you dump out the old oil representing about 85% of the engine capacity, and all that oil contamination, and replace with fresh...

And if you really consider it, you're extending the filter life when you dump out ~85% of the old motor oil and replace with fresh. That makes the filters job much easier - e.g. you have removed a significant amount of dirt by dumping the old oil.
Not really since the sump capacity is pumped through the filter every minute or two when cruising down the highway. The oil in the sump will only be as clean as the filter will make it ... that's why I like high efficiency oil filters.

No way. Doing the job right is changing the oil and filter each time. I just can’t bring myself to trust a filter more than one oil change no matter the claim from the manufacturer.

But why?
If a filter can go 10k miles on 1 oil change, why could it not do two 5k intervals on presumably CLEANER oil?? Assuming not unreasonable time periods.

I'm not understanding the mental block.

Some members here have scolded me for pushing the limits of a tough guard filter. Do I care; not really. Now that oil consumption is ZERO I will probably use a old FL-400S bullwinkle sent me for 10-12k, maybe more 😱😱😱☠️☠️☠️💀💀

What do you look for to determine that the filter could have easily gone longer? Do you have a way of seeing how saturated the medium is with debris and contaminants?

Cant speak for anyone else, but I cut everything open and look to see what might be in the pleats

What Ive found is nothing on all my 20K runs, an occasional fleck of black.

I see stuff stuck to the side of the can on the filtermag though.

Honda will let you run their mid grade filter run up to 20K on a 3.5 V6 or more on some models.

I'll run my truck 6500 or 7K 3X on one and never seen a thing.
Modern Rigs just dont put much into the oil.

Oh... Ive seen filters filled up, pretty common in the 70's and 80's, older trucks, motorhomes and stuff like that - a cut open reveals a lot. Cleaning up someones mess.....

A modern car thats been maintained with synth its whole life - 20K on a can is a cakewalk.

Last edited:
But why?
If a filter can go 10k miles on 1 oil change, why could it not do two 5k intervals on presumably CLEANER oil?? Assuming not unreasonable time periods.

I'm not understanding the mental block.
I don’t believe any filter could or should go that long efficiently. What a manufacturer can claim versus what actually happens are two different things. It’s right to change it each time. I don’t feel I’ve done a proper job not changing it.

Typical car, say 6qt oil. Probably 1/2 qt left in block. Maybe 1/2 qt. left in filter. You're talking abotu 8% left in the filter. It's not even enough to worry about, if consistently done every other oil change.

I clearly responded to your comment on MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.
You said that partial changes on manual transmissions were common.
That's simply not true.
We've been done already with the quantity remaining in an engine's
oil filter. Guaranteed, I do know exactly what's remaining in my engines.
One example: On my GTI's EA888 3G total fill is 6,6 l, while changing 5,7 l.
It's true, the difference isn't just sitting in the filter. That's just like 200 ml.
Still more than I like. Still no reason to keep the old filter another interval.
Perform your OCs as you like while I do what makes most sense, thanks.

You said that partial changes on manual transmissions were common.
That's simply not true.

I've NEVER said manual transmissions. I've spoken generically about transmissions.

The reality is as far as I know, on my vehicles, transmissions have around 15 quarts of ATF and any method of draining is only removing ~4-5 qts or 1/4 or 1/5th. Few recommend a full "flush." Therefore, one is really only removing ~20 or 25% of the fluid so dilution is just accepted.

YMMV. (But, with a typical oil change, you are only getting out ~85-90% of the old oil.)

IDC how you drain and fill or change or not change, or whether you replace filters every time or every 5th time.

Last edited:
Personally if I reuse the filter I use some extremely cheap conventional to flush out whatever is left behind. Many on here will call it a waste but it comes back to "doing most of a job or all of it" in my mind too. Lol.
If I wasn't going to get all the old oil out I would have just bought another filter which cost a lot more than enough oil to briefly start it and flush it through.
I think I may have left one a third time but it was only when I had done a 3 oil changes at 3k or less with a Fram ultra and that was on my 350 olds which I know is as clean as new inside so it shouldn't be putting a lot in the filter. After seeing the inside of my trucks engine I think I'll do the filter every time from now on. Bad PCV and previous owners maintenance left it slightly sludgy inside.

Nice idea. I just use to pour 1 or 2 l/quart of cheap group 3 (but approved)
oil into the engine after draining the old oil and before I put the drain plug
back in. That won't flush all of the remaining old oil out but certainly some
of it. I use to do the same with my transmissions. Actually did both two days
ago and I'm likely going to perform it the same way when I change the oil
on the GTI's VAQ/FXD LSD next week. The oil is sold in 1 l bottles and drain
is just 400 ml, so it makes some sense using the rest for 'flushing' the VAQ
'differential'. It uses a Haldex clutch unit and same oil as VW's 4motion 4WD
Haldex clutches btw..

Last edited:
Never done it or even thought of doing it. Gf has a '19 Civic 1.5Turbonium, following the OLM we usually change the oil when it's at 40-30% life left. The car sees mostly short trips so the oil has less than 4k miles on it. Last OCI, the oil only had 2800 mi on it with 30% life left. There would be less than 10k mi on the filter if it went 2 changes, but I change the filter with the oil cuz filters are cheap & is a habit to change it.

Back