Would you buy this car? 1975 Stingray Vette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Yes I would.

But the price would have to be right.

I have a real soft spot for C3 Corvettes. I would prefer an '82 anniversary edition. But I like that one.

The owners tend to overvalue them. The asking prices are artificially high. If he was to attempt to trade that in I would guess they would give him no more than $3000.

If I was into 2-seaters and wanted a vette, sure. Looks like a nice one. The fact that no price is mentioned on the ad doesnt bother me. Email is free. The poster seems to know what is going on and is open on the ad, which is good. Of course youll always want to do a very vigorous analysis on it.

Id ask why they are selling it too, watch face and body language, see if the story is plausible.

Worth a look if nearby. I like that body style. You can always walk.

Originally Posted By: Rand
no price = no interest.

This was my thought too. The seller probably wants someone's firstborn child for it.

MA people will have to confirm but cars seem to cost a great deal more in this New England market. As to the Stingray, I have heard that the 1980, 1981 and 1982 were better cars. L-88, L-89, etc. Need a Stingray connoseur for this. I could pass on the orange color. I like white or black on this car. Not yellow, red, or orange.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The t-tops can be expensive to keep from leaking.

Define expensive? One shouldnt be buying what amounts to a 30 year old, semi-collectable, high performance car if they arent willing to throw a few $k into it. And keeping water out should be a first priority on older vehicles.

But it is a good point to keep after and have an eye on. If I was serious about the car I might actually propose the owner doing a car wash on the vehicle while I watched.

This is a 35+ yo car, and it sounds like the present owner has done a lot to it.
The guy also sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
There are plenty of beater 'Vettes from this era out there.
It will always be cheaper to buy a car that's been well sorted than to buy a beater and fix everything yourself, and this one appears to have been well sorted.
As a matching numbers car with no body mods, this car is pretty original.
I also like the probably honest mileage, as opposed to the current owner having it set back.
It is amazing (suspicious?) how many old low miles Corvettes are out there.
I'm not saying that you should buy this one, but if you like this particular body style, which remained very similar from '68 through '77, I'd say that this car is certainly worth a look.
Obviously, price will play a role.
This car would be a steal at 10K, assuming that everything checks out.

No 454 option in 75 and the start of cat cons.Probably the low point since the Blue Flame 6/automatic cars,and the later 305 model.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
No 454 option in 75 and the start of cat cons.Probably the low point since the Blue Flame 6/automatic cars,and the later 305 model.

If I were going to get a C3 I'd hold out for a 76 model with the L82 in it.

that year would be a low hp smog dog. if it don't have atleast a 300 hp 327 in it it's not worth lookin at. a 427 would be even better if your into those. too low to the ground for me. I'd drag the bottom out of it here.

Originally Posted By: Rand
no price = no interest.

There's that.

A Corvette with an automatic? No way.

Car looks good from the pictures. Offer him blue book for it...if he doesn't accept...consider offering a few hundred more for the new parts he replaced....ask for receipts.

Originally Posted By: steveh
No way would I want a 1975 with 165HP or even the L82 with 205HP!!

Two words: Crate motor. A pristine later model C3 is a prime candidate for GM crate 350. What are they rated at now? 330 horsepower or there 'bouts.

Did you go to test drive the car and look at it? I don't like those vettes, but that's just my personal preferrence.

If you are interested in the car, go check it out in Person. The owner might give you a deal. Start chatting with him about BITOG etc. Sometimes a fellow car nut would rather sell their car to another fellow car nut, as opposed to some moron who doesn't appreciate what we love to do. If he's asking too much then just tell him that if he doesn't sell it soon, then he can give you a call. Maybe he wants to get rid of it before winter and he needs the storage room to make way for another car. Tell him you'll give him the deal now since you want to drive the car before winter sets in.

Also ask the owner if he's had an electrical gremlins etc. Appartently those model vettes are a pain for those sorts of issues.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I had a bud with a new '74. In that '70s yellowish tan that looks sickly now. Those were the days.

Body looked good enough on the outside. But not the highpoint for Vettes, IMO.

And then they got worse for a few years.

Don't expect ground-shaking performance out of any domestic sports or sporty platform from @ '72 to @ '80 in stock form. Early emissions and then the early electronic ignition systems pretty much had them neutered, and they were a first-class PITA to work on. '75 to '80 were the worst. "Smog dogs" is a good name for them.

And we haven't even touched on the build quality from that little period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back