68 Corvette Roadster, aka "Ghetto Ride"

My old Vette, 1968 plain jane roadster, only options are the 426/390 L36, AMFM Stereo radio (rare in 68). A late year build... This car has been a labor of love. It is in Gig Harbor, WA at my BIL's home. Mark is a real detail guy and tireless, unlike me.
It's put away for the winter, Mark will send me some pics soon. He has done a lot; he plans on pulling and detailing the engine in the spring.
You can see his work; the original 15x7 Ralleys did not look like that when I gave it to him. For people who do not know the early generations, no Corvette came outta the factory with panel gaps like this. They were mass produced cars and were a mess. High water years were the 67 and 69 cars. Every panel was reworked...
A true piece of Americana.
Garage cover.jpeg

Mark Driveway.jpeg

Last edited:
There another guy on here with a Vette just like that >>>>>>>>

There another guy on here with a Vette just like that >>>>>>>>

I hate it when that happens...

My old Vette, 1968 plain jane roadster, only options are the 426/390 L36, AMFM Stereo radio (rare in 68). A late year build... This car has been a labor of love. It is in Gig Harbor, WA at my BIL's home. Mark is a real detail guy and tireless, unlike me.
It's put away for the winter, Mark will send me some pics soon. He has done a lot; he plans on pulling and detailing the engine in the spring.
You can see his work; the original 15x7 Ralleys did not look like that when I gave it to him. For people who do not know the early generations, no Corvette came outta the factory with panel gaps like this. They were mass produced cars and were a mess. High water years were the 67 and 69 cars. Every panel was reworked...
View attachment 199583
View attachment 199584
I love it. It looks great, especially the wheels.

I love it. It looks great, especially the wheels.
The top pic has the original 15x7 Corvette Rallye wheels, a 1 year only wheel. '67 has 15x6 and '69 has the 15x8 that went to 82.
The bottom has 16x8 Wheel Vintique Chrome Rallyes. Aftermarket with 50 series Comp TAs. It sits low...

View attachment 199583
View attachment 199584
Sweet ride. Have you done the Corvette Factory tour? If not it's definitely worth the trip. A few years ago I went for the third time. Apparently there is a 12 year wait list for the people that test drive each one around the track across the street after production.

Looking back to the 1960's and 70's it's funny how often Buick almost had their own performance models but Corvette was given the priority by GM corporate.

I think this particular design was a Buick concept that Chevy squashed and brought over to use for the Corvette.

Sweet ride. Have you done the Corvette Factory tour? If not it's definitely worth the trip. A few years ago I went for the third time. Apparently there is a 12 year wait list for the people that test drive each one around the track across the street after production.
No, I'm on the West Coast and don't get back East hardly ever. The new Corvettes are amazing and have been for years. World class in many ways. It all started with the '84 C4. The problem is, the cars are outta reach for the people who love 'em.

I am still kicking myself for passing on the pristine blue/blue/white 67 Roadster. 327/350, M20, 3:36 rear gear. $25K back in 1990 as I recall. Big blocks are fun, sound incredible and have the torque, but the small blocks are better balanced cars. The 67 really got it right. 1st year of the Ralleye Wheel, 1 year only size 15x6. 7:75/15 bias ply rubber, white or red stripe. Little bitty Holley 3810...

1709238381924.jpg

No, I'm on the West Coast and don't get back East hardly ever. The new Corvettes are amazing and have been for years. World class in many ways. It all started with the '84 C4. The problem is, the cars are outta reach for the people who love 'em.

I am still kicking myself for passing on the pristine blue/blue/white 67 Roadster. 327/350, M20, 3:36 rear gear. $25K back in 1990 as I recall. Big blocks are fun, sound incredible and have the torque, but the small blocks are better balanced cars. The 67 really got it right. 1st year of the Ralleye Wheel, 1 year only size 15x6. 7:75/15 bias ply rubber, white or red stripe. Little bitty Holley 3810...

View attachment 205992
Killing the planet with those old ICE/carb/no cat or battery/no practical purpose vehicles. Guess you could tow it around with the Tesla though.

Killing the planet with those old ICE/carb/no cat or battery/no practical purpose vehicles. Guess you could tow it around with the Tesla though.
Carbs, especially Holleys, are fuel dumpers. Hard to beat a Q-Junk. I have 2 good spares; most have been molested.
I have the original Roach 4-Jet for my Oldsey. Completely different carb, of course. Wish Olds used the AFB back then, but it is what it is.

Holleys are wot carbs. Q-Jet is for driveability, off idle and part throttle.
I never had a problem with my Holleys in any of those situations. After replacing my Q-Jet with a 780 cfm Holley, I threw the Q-Jet in the dumpster at work. The Holley really ‘woke up’ my big block Chevelle! That was in about 1969 so…. :) I do remember having to raise the idle to around 1,000 rpm’s to satisfy the Crane Cams 546 “ lift.

Last edited:
Holleys are wot carbs. Q-Jet is for driveability, off idle and part throttle.
A well set up Qjet can’t be beat. HO, Ram Air, & Super Duty Pontiacs, W30 & W31 Oldsmobiles, and Gran Sport Buicks and came factory equipped with Qjets. Most were 750 to 800 CFM carbs. I’ve never seen a Holley equipped engine that idle the same from one day to the next. Likewise the vacuum secondary versions would engage inconsistently most of the time. Not to mention being pig rich at idle. Oh, don’t forget they leak. Carry a fire extinguisher if you run a Holley….

Back