68 Vette Ghetto Ride

I sent my old car up to Gig Harbor, WA, so my BIL could share in the misery of keeping an old Vette alive. So far, so good. The 16x8 Chrome Rallye wheels and fat 50 Series Comp TA's make it sit low. The original L36 thru Hedman Headers and turbos sound out the back is pure Heaven.
68_side_water.jpg

I sent my old car up to Gig Harbor, WA, so my BIL could share in the misery of keeping an old Vette alive. So far, so good. The 16x8 Chrome Rallye wheels and fat 50 Series Comp TA's make it sit low. The original L36 thru Hedman Headers and turbos sound out the back is pure Heaven.
View attachment 168588

Great looking car along with a beautiful pic.

Are you weening yourself of ICE, particularly a carburetored model?
It's amazing how much more difficult they are to maintain along with the fact that their emissions are vastly greater than EFI.
I just listed an old Quadrajet on C.L. yesterday. No idea what else to do with it.
(Sorry for the thread jack.)
Really great example of the C-3 heading north Jeff.

Great looking car along with a beautiful pic.

Are you weening yourself of ICE, particularly a carburetored model?
It's amazing how much more difficult they are to maintain along with the fact that their emissions are vastly greater than EFI.
I just listed an old Quadrajet on C.L. yesterday. No idea what else to do with it.
(Sorry for the thread jack.)
Really great example of the C-3 heading north Jeff.
This Q-Junk was rebuilt by my friend Lars Grimrud. How's that for name dropping?
Finding an unmolested QJ nowadays is hard to do. I have a good spare.
I don't have another project like this in me. Waaaay to much money and trouble. Paint work like this would be $20K easy nowadays. Depending on glass work, probably a lot more.
So I am not weaning myself off carbs per se; these cars are "a labor of love." My education is bought and paid for.

Maybe give me the numbers off your Q-Jet. If it happens to be one of the 800 CFM carbs it might be worth something. Actually if it is unmolested it is definitely worth something.
The other problem is, the intake manifold is low rise to fit under the hood. There ain't much room. So you build these engines for 5,500 RPM limit, or less. In 2nd gear, give it some throttle and you might get sideways.

Love the early C3 corvettes. Lars rebuilt the card on this one as well. This one is long gone but some great memories

Attachments

• 290B2762-B0CC-48E3-957C-6DFD003F7F3D.jpeg
    290B2762-B0CC-48E3-957C-6DFD003F7F3D.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 47979592-3D9C-4DBD-B0DD-8F0E663E6FD9.jpeg
    47979592-3D9C-4DBD-B0DD-8F0E663E6FD9.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 16
Having had driven a few C3's, in a perfect world I prefer the high-po small blocks to the big blocks. But that said, this is a super, super nice example that I would definitely not kick out of my garage! Lust worthy, drool worthy, whatever you want to call it! Nothing ghetto AT ALL about this ride. WANT.

Having had driven a few C3's, in a perfect world I prefer the high-po small blocks to the big blocks. But that said, this is a super, super nice example that I would definitely not kick out of my garage! Lust worthy, drool worthy, whatever you want to call it! Nothing ghetto AT ALL about this ride. WANT.
The small block cars are better balanced. I almost bought a 69 convertible with a mild 350 in excellent shape that drove like a sports car...
My car shakes the pavement. They both have their place.

This Q-Junk was rebuilt by my friend Lars Grimrud. How's that for name dropping?
Finding an unmolested QJ nowadays is hard to do. I have a good spare.
I don't have another project like this in me. Waaaay to much money and trouble. Paint work like this would be $20K easy nowadays. Depending on glass work, probably a lot more.
So I am not weaning myself off carbs per se; these cars are "a labor of love." My education is bought and paid for.

Maybe give me the numbers off your Q-Jet. If it happens to be one of the 800 CFM carbs it might be worth something. Actually if it is unmolested it is definitely worth something.
The other problem is, the intake manifold is low rise to fit under the hood. There ain't much room. So you build these engines for 5,500 RPM limit, or less. In 2nd gear, give it some throttle and you might get sideways.

Although my QJ is "unmolested", it's a small bore version off a 3/4 ton '78 Suburban. I hope somebody buys it to save it from the recycle bin.
I'm with you though, I totally don't miss rebuilding carbs or setting points. In my circle of friends, I was the guy everybody gave their carbs to for rebuild. If I never saw another carb again, I'd be fine with it.

Yes, that was a superb name drop! :)
Was surprised to see that Lars lives not to far from me in Layfayette, CO. Didn't know that.

Although my QJ is "unmolested", it's a small bore version off a 3/4 ton '78 Suburban. I hope somebody buys it to save it from the recycle bin.
I'm with you though, I totally don't miss rebuilding carbs or setting points. In my circle of friends, I was the guy everybody gave their carbs to for rebuild. If I never saw another carb again, I'd be fine with it.

Yes, that was a superb name drop! :)
Was surprised to see that Lars lives not to far from me in Layfayette, CO. Didn't know that.
Same here, rebuilt lots of carbs back in the day, Holleys, Quadrajets, Webers, Edelbrocks, even some weird ones like the stock progressive Rochester 2 barrels in the early S10s. I'd be fine never seeing the insides of one again.

Maybe now that the Teflon gaskets are more prevalent, I'd change the jets on a Holley, because when the engine is cold it can be done in 10 minutes and the gaskets are reusable. But I'd tell whatever idiot owned the car to go get a billet metering block that was adjustible.

I sent my old car up to Gig Harbor, WA, so my BIL could share in the misery of keeping an old Vette alive....

No truer words have ever been spoken. I had a C3 with an L48, four speed. I spent more time working on it than I did driving it. I would drive it as my daily driver about 30 minutes total daily drive time.

Then would use my whole weekend fixing every little thing that let go during the week. Wipers, radiator, vacuum lines, etc.

Once I sold it, I haven't looked back!

In my experience a properly tuned carb is no trouble for the most part - its todays E10/15 fuel that causes the majority of problems. I have a few classics with carbs that I have rebuilt using "ethanol compatible" gaskets and such and they might last a few years longer but that is about it.

Back