Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

In a multipass filtration test does the efficiency get calculated at the end? and what determines the end of the test? A pre-determined Delta P?

Is there anyway to report how efficiency changed with time?

Andrew, thank you very much for posting this. I hope this means you're feeling better.

The Wix XP going longer before clogging is likely due to it letting so much through. Those results for the XP are very disappointing. It's no wonder they are shy to release the numbers.

Yeah as much as I want to like the XP filter, I don't have the will power to purchase it seeing how poorly it works,so back to the Boss oil filter I go 😏

Andrew, thank you very much for posting this. I hope this means you're feeling better.

The Wix XP going longer before clogging is likely due to it letting so much through. Those results for the XP are very disappointing. It's no wonder they are shy to release the numbers.
Your welcome! Thank you!
Feeling better, no more fevers. The Covid is no longer contagious my Doc told me, so I can go in public finally. I get headaches everyday, which I never used to get, and a case of pneumonia with a bad cough. My head is cloudy and not firing on all cylinders, but getting better. The Cough is preventing me from doing the video and going into greater detail on this testing at the moment.
I hope you are doing well sir, and you enjoy the data.

Your welcome! Thank you!
Feeling better, no more fevers. The Covid is no longer contagious my Doc told me, so I can go in public finally. I get headaches everyday, which I never used to get, and a case of pneumonia with a bad cough. My head is cloudy and not firing on all cylinders, but getting better. The Cough is preventing me from doing the video and going into greater detail on this testing at the moment.
I hope you are doing well sir, and you enjoy the data.
Glad to hear you're on the mend back to normal.

Andrew might have data to plot the efficiency vs test run time ... if so, that might show the "hockey stick" shapped curve where the efficiency starts out high and slowly decreases as the filter loads up (delta-p causes already captuired debris to beak loose), and then suddenly get more efficient as the media becomes nearly fully clogged before the bypass valve would open.

In a multipass filtration test does the efficiency get calculated at the end? and what determines the end of the test? A pre-determined Delta P?

Yes, a pre Determined DeltaP determines the end of the test. In our case I choose 8PSID over clean assembly. For the ISO 4548-12 multipass test the average of readings taken every X seconds over a 5 min or 10 min time interval are averaged and reported depending on how long the test takes to reach that Terminal DeltaP.

What you see here in the previous graphs is an average taken from each time interval reading the entire time of the test and averaged. You can look at each time interval and see how it changes over time.
Here is an example of the AC-Delco time interval report page of the 4548-12 efficiency. The decimal place is not rounded in this picture for the overall average.

Other multipass tests base intervals on thing other than time, such as the Hydraulic fluid power ISO 16889 multipass test, which is based on % of terminal DeltaP.

Hope this helps!

AC Delco excell pic 2 jpg.jpg

Andrew might have data to plot the efficiency vs test run time ... if so, that might show the "hockey stick" shapped curve where the efficiency starts out high and slowly decreases as the filter loads up (delta-p causes already captuired debris to beak loose), and then suddenly get more efficient as the media becomes nearly fully clogged before the bypass valve would open.
In this case efficiency did not get significantly better over time and exhibit that behavior. The "Hockey Stick" is demonstrated in the deltaP Curve vs Time. The Medium Test Dust was injected at approximately 2.1-2.2grams every five minutes for each filter.
It will all be explained in the video.

Interestin
Yes, a pre Determined DeltaP determines the end of the test. In our case I choose 8PSID over clean assembly. For the ISO 4548-12 multipass test the average of readings taken every X seconds over a 5 min or 10 min time interval are averaged and reported depending on how long the test takes to reach that Terminal DeltaP.

What you see here in the previous graphs is an average taken from each time interval reading the entire time of the test and averaged. You can look at each time interval and see how it changes over time.
Here is an example of the AC-Delco time interval report page of the 4548-12 efficiency. The decimal place is not rounded in this picture for the overall average.

Other multipass tests base intervals on thing other than time, such as the Hydraulic fluid power ISO 16889 multipass test, which is based on % of terminal DeltaP.

Hope this helps!
Yes, so for AC Delco efficiency dropped off with time/loading. I wonder if that was true for all.
I wonder if that makes the WIX XP look worse, because it ran much longer.
It might be interesting to only compare at constant time/loading.
1622835178873.png

What is a realistic loading for an oil filter in normal bitoger usage? 2-5g? I doubt a well maintained vehicle is ever approaching 10+g, but I really have no idea.

Interestin

Yes, so for AC Delco efficiency dropped off with time/loading. I wonder if that was true for all.
View attachment 59380

What is a realistic loading for an oil filter in normal bitoger usage? 2-5g? I doubt a well maintained vehicle is ever approaching 10+g, but I really have no idea.
Cool graph! I have the data you need to determine that for the all the others, but it is all in a PDF Format, which I do want to post on here. Send me your email in a private message.

Interestin

View attachment 59380

This is exactly how the "hokey stick" efficiency curve starts out. As the delta-p increases, already captured particles in the media start sloughing off and going down steam which the particle counter sees as worse efficiency. I've posted about this many times, but nobody seems to believe it, lol.

oil_filter_efficiency_vs_loading_time.jpg

This is exactly how the "hokey stick" efficiency curve starts out. As the delta-p increases, already captured particles in the media start sloughing off and going down steam which the particle counter sees as worse efficiency. I've posted about this many times, but nobody seems to believe it, lol.

View attachment 59390
It is possible if I choose a higher Terminal DeltaP this could have happened.

The fact that the Wix XP exhibited a bypass failure in the bubble point test makes you wonder about the other results. It outflowed the others and had worse filtration than all others. It makes you wonder in the back of your mind if the other Wix XP filters exhibited the same bypass failure.

I am, but I got Covid and a hurting unit at the moment. I am 6 days in. Fever 102.1F. Please bear with me.
At this point, I hope you're OK man!!!

I had covid most of April. I had it bad, but was lucky not to have any breathing issues. I'm still getting my butt whooped though as I have 4 DVT's in my left leg and a pulmonary embolism. This developed a couple of weeks after I started feeling better!

If you feel limb or chest pain or see swelling - please go get checked for DVT's!
God Bless and thanks for posting this.

I shared these results in a few car enthusiast Facebook groups and the Fram haters must feel attacked because they are responding in full force. "Yeah, 99% efficient until it collapses." lol
I will message you the full reports, and you can show them that, perhaps it will clear things up a touch.

At this point, I hope you're OK man!!!

I had covid most of April. I had it bad, but was lucky not to have any breathing issues. I'm still getting my butt whooped though as I have 4 DVT's in my left leg and a pulmonary embolism. This developed a couple of weeks after I started feeling better!

If you feel limb or chest pain or see swelling - please go get checked for DVT's!
God Bless and thanks for posting this.
O no! I hope you get better! My chest definitely does not feel right, but I just figured it was the pneumonia. I understand, it totally wiped me out for a month and it is still getting me pretty good. I got scared when I heard what sounded like rice crispys popping in my chest. They did an X ray and said I had covid lungs real bad.

....What is a realistic loading for an oil filter in normal bitoger usage? 2-5g? I doubt a well maintained vehicle is ever approaching 10+g, but I really have no idea.
Years ago Jim Allen posted info HERE he got from an engineer that stated "....the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed. Doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but i you have your inputs under control (mainly a good air filter) then you should fit at or below that average....". I'd say the average bitoger comes nowhere near the holding capacity of any filter they run.

Purolator used to post a P1 holding capacity spec of ~13 grams. It was oft said that any engine shedding that much junk over on oci had far more issues of concern than the filter holding capacity.

Why much like filter flow in PC use, no concern here about the filter holding capacity.

Last edited:
Back