Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

How useful is the collapse/burst test for an ordinary person? It seems I would be more likely to judge a filter based on the multi pass efficiency and pressure vs flow curves. If we can take a particular test out such as the collapse/burse test, would it free up more time or cost savings to test more filters?

I would like to see the for the synthetic filters a Fram Ultra, Purolater Boss, Mobil, and Wix XP but then also an equivalent AC Delco, Motorcraft, Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in this, though I do not have a Chevy.

If you're going to do it, gotta try to get the latest filters:

Fram Ultra
Amsoil/Royal Purple maybe (these still Champ?)
Boss
Mobil 1 (be sure to get the new version)

To be frank, what I think would be more useful is a test of OEM filters since there is about zero data on efficiency for the OEMs

Honda
Toyota
VW
Delco
Motorcraft
Hyundai/Kia

This is great. I saw that you use Medium Dust, is Fine an option?

I think most users are in agreement that most of the filters will do fine for >30 micron particles. Where the data starts to get scarcer is at the smaller,
I’d love to see Denso added to the list as they won’t release the specific data.

I looked back through the thread and I didn’t see where you mentioned if you work for or own Ascent Filtration Testing? Will this work you’re doing be “official” work or just done on the side as an employee using their equipment?

Once you stated “synthetic“ … that rules out OEM filters some of us use … like PF63E
Hardly anyone wants to pay for Royal Purple, BTW …
Yes, it is interesting that some OEM do not use synthetic for reasons of their own. The 5.3L engine I want to use has an OEM filter that is not synthetic, so we may have to go to AC Delco Gold Ultraguard. I will think about this, to get a fair comparison.

Yes, it is interesting that some OEM do not use synthetic for reasons of their own. The 5.3L engine I want to use has an OEM filter that is not synthetic, so we may have to go to AC Delco Gold Ultraguard. I will think about this, to get a fair comparison.
Given that your introduction was as short as “I am thinking”, I am thinking that replying to the previous question posted by @kschachn would be beneficial to @BITOG.

I looked back through the thread and I didn’t see where you mentioned if you work for or own Ascent Filtration Testing? Will this work you’re doing be “official” work or just done on the side as an employee using their equipment?
Ascent Filtration Testing stands by all testing results. We are not endorsing any products, and not currently working with any of these manufacturers. We feel that there is a want for this data comparison from our fellow filter geeks, and engine enthusiasts. A fun project we all can enjoy. If enough interest is shown I will do the video comparison.

Ascent Filtration Testing stands by all testing results. We are not endorsing any products, and not currently working with any of these manufacturers. We feel that there is a want for this data comparison from our fellow filter geeks, and engine enthusiasts. A fun project we all can enjoy. If enough interest is shown I will do the video comparison.
Sure but that wasn’t what I asked. Just wondering, you understand. So you don’t own it you work there and you’ll be using their equipment for this project?

I guess I could call and ask if I really wanted to know.

How useful is the collapse/burst test for an ordinary person? It seems I would be more likely to judge a filter based on the multi pass efficiency and pressure vs flow curves. If we can take a particular test out such as the collapse/burse test, would it free up more time or cost savings to test more filters?

I would like to see the for the synthetic filters a Fram Ultra, Purolater Boss, Mobil, and Wix XP but then also an equivalent AC Delco, Motorcraft, Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.
Well as far as usefulness of a burst/collapse for us regular people, that is a good question. I have heard arguments for military applications, racing, off road, and mud bogging, but none for regular drivers. I would love to hear any thoughts on this.
I am in a unique spot as a third party filter testing lab. I want to help us regular drivers get the most out of their vehand clear some things up, and help manufacturers achieve better performance.
Perhaps more pressure vs flow could be done instead of collapse, that's a very valid point.
The testing you want to see is the holy grail for drivers, and many manufacturers as well. I do have to put food on the table, however I would love to do all of what you propose.

I'd be interested in this, though I do not have a Chevy.

If you're going to do it, gotta try to get the latest filters:

Fram Ultra
Amsoil/Royal Purple maybe (these still Champ?)
Boss
Mobil 1 (be sure to get the new version)

To be frank, what I think would be more useful is a test of OEM filters since there is about zero data on efficiency for the OEMs

Honda
Toyota
VW
Delco
Motorcraft
Hyundai/Kia
I agree, the latest and greatest filters. Yes, I prefer your bluntness sir, not as much data out there as we would like.

Back