Would there be any negative effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can read the conclusion at the end of the executive summary. They only studied xW-20 and xW-30. As I pointed out, they found that friction modifiers only make a small difference.

Regarding viscosity, the precision of their tests were not sufficient for a statistically meaningful conclusion but then they didn't study any xW-40 oils. I also see a similar result in real life that there is not a whole a lot difference between 0W-20 and 5W-30 but a lot if difference with 15W-40.

3.0 V6
Felt sluggish with 5W40 and 0W40, much better with 0w30.
Really depends on your driving habits.
People who drive hard 99.9% around here wouldn't notice a difference. I swear its Indy on the roads.

I think if there is any measurable difference, it would only be before the oil warms up. After it warms up and you are highway cruising, all oil is very, very thin.

The thing about 5W-30 vs. xW-20 is that most conventional 5W-30 shear to viscosity of commonly sold xW-20 oils but xW-20 oils are very shear-stable. Therefore, you don't see much difference for fuel economy between 5W-30 and xW-20 because that 5W-30 is acting more like a 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back