Worthless Blitz oil pans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can get a decent oil catch pan? I do my own oil changes and the only oil drip pan of this type I can find it this Blitz one. I like that I can drain oil into it and then seal it up. I dont have to drain into a pan then pour back into empty bottles. The overall pan is perfectly durable but the cap is garbage. In order to keep oil from leaking out of the spout you have to tighten to a point where the cap eventually cracks and drips oil all over the floor. I can't even get a year out of one of these things.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil Drains and Pans/podp15od.htm

I found a nice one at my local Harbor Freight, but I don't see it listed on their website? The plug is much heavier and has a recessed area to store when draining oil. The pan is a little smaller in capacity and has more of a square shape. I gave the Blitz pan to my Stepfather years ago. He lost that tiny cap years ago.

That's the Blitz one I have. Maybe 8-10 years old, doesn't leak -BUT it does look like they redesigned the cap. Have you tried a gallon jug screw top lid? I think the threads are the same (on mine at least)

I've had my Blitz pan like that for at least 6 yrs. I lost that cap off the center hole a long time ago. The spout cap is the only important one. Maybe once a year I get a leak from it. Not perfect, but...eh?

I have a Blitz as well and my cap split at the seam within a few months of ownership. I actually figured out that a vitamin bottle cap I had fit the neck perfectly and seals very well. I probably don't need the child safety function of the cap but at least oil doesn't spirt out when I move the pan.

Ed B.

Like Pablo said, I have the same one for the last 10-12 years and it doesn't leak. I lost the cap one and was able to use the top off of a windshield washer fluid bottle and it still works great.
The cap does look a little different, so they probably cheapened it a bit to save a penny.

I had one of these. Just use a piece of plastic grocery bag/ziploc bag or the like under the cap and it shouldn't leak (provided the cap isn't completely destroyed.

I have the same drain pan and also had the same leaky cap problem. I tried a lot of different caps and they all eventually leaked again. About 2 years ago I tried a cap off of a Clorox bleach bottle. It has a hard plastic insert in it, I guess it is there to keep the bleach fumes from escaping. Anyway, that was 2 years ago and still to this day I don't have any leaks. I think in my case anyway the caps off of windshield washer fluid bottles and the like leaked because they have a foam insert that eventually got saturated with oil.

I think the older ones have a nice durable cap. The new ones are cheap and split. I started yesterday with a Kroger milk cap. No go. Next in line is a Costco milk cap, and then a windshield washer fluid cap......................Hopefully I find one soon.

Interesting....I have never used a drip pan, I usually just drain my oil onto the ground.

J/K
I change my oil at work. The mechanic bought a pan just like the one in the pic when his other one walked off. He used it once before he lost the cap and the next time he used it he took out his dremmel and cut the top off.

Or you could use a Fumoto valve.
If you use the one with a nipple, you can put a length of hose on it, then drain your oil into any container, even one with a small opening. You could even drain your oil into the empty oil bottles from the last time you changed the oil.

This is one way that allows you to change your oil without spilling a drop...and without having to clean a pan afterward.

I use one exactly like that one except I drain it into another jug for transport. That one is my filter drain and I have a smaller open top container for actually draining oil. Then I have a second blitz pan for coolant. I don't have a problem with either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had one for at least 10 yrs. The current cap is from an anti freeze jug. the drain inlet is cork from a good bottle of whiskey and the vent is plugged with a #12- 24 machine screw.

Originally Posted By: robbobster
Or you could use a Fumoto valve.
If you use the one with a nipple, you can put a length of hose on it, then drain your oil into any container, even one with a small opening. You could even drain your oil into the empty oil bottles from the last time you changed the oil.

This is one way that allows you to change your oil without spilling a drop...and without having to clean a pan afterward.

+1
cheers3.gif

Well, lets see what happens. I used the link above and Connie from customer service is sending me a "redesigned" cap. I will post on its quality when I receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back