What Do You Drain Your Oil Into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain some interesting oil drain pans here! When I used to do my own oil changes in the UK, I would just drain the oil into a 10 litre plastic container. The engine (Nissan Maxima with a VQ20DE) would only take 4 litres, so the height of the container would also prevent oil from splashing outside of it.

I'd then pop a funnel on the oil jug I emptied by filling the slump, and drain the old oil there. I'd leave the old oil filter on the funnel to drain over night, and take the lot to the local oil recycling facility a day or two later.

I also have the black container with the spout. But, I use an oil catch pan to drain the oil into. Trying to drain the oil into the black/spout container always made a mess unless the oil hit just right. It was like a skate boarder on a ramp.

I use the same type as the OP. I then pour it into a 5 gallon container, and when that is full, I take it to the recycle center. I keep a couple of cans of engine cleaner around to clean up spills and the top of the drain pan.

Mark

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I use one of these and then dump into a 5 gallon Ashland bulk bucket (I got 9yrs ago when roomate was manager at Valvoline Instant O/C), and take to the Auto Parts store to recycle after a couple OCI's.

21KVE7F8FPL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

I use one of these also, or a cut to fit under the car, 5 gallon spackle tub, both work fine. I plan on buying another tub similar to the picture for A/F only. As I get older I'm a little more lazy and don't want to be cleaning the pan out if I plan on draining and re-using A/F for any reason, like a T-Stat or WP replacement.

I have that OP pan too and the stupid pour cap broke too!

I then pour it into a larger oil container and when full take it to Autozone and empty it.

Last edited:
I have the same container as the original poster. It works quite well. I just took it to Jiffy Lube yesterday to empty it out.

I don't have much faith in that cap, my pan is slightly different and the cap on the end of the funnel stinks. I pour the oil into gallon containers as soon as I'm done with the OC.

I use an 8 qt Rubbermaid plastic pan,from there I transfer it to five gallon industrial plastic jugs and keep it in the garage until full. When full I bring it to one of two garages in town where they use it for heat in the winter. One garage can only store 275 gallons,the other can store not only the 275 gallons but also starts putting it in 50 gallon drums. Living in New England.with our winters,free heat is always welcome. When we had a lot of paper mills in the area (they use #6 fuel) they would always welcome drain oil.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I use one of these and then dump into a 5 gallon Ashland bulk bucket (I got 9yrs ago when roomate was manager at Valvoline Instant O/C), and take to the Auto Parts store to recycle after a couple OCI's.

21KVE7F8FPL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Something similar to this except it's black and doesn't have a spout cap. My Dad had it for years and I use it now. From there the oil goes into 1-gallon milk jugs, and then either to AutoZone or the state recycling center the next day. I find that the Jewel/Dominick's milk jugs are a little thicker than the Meijer ones so I use those. But with a 1-day max storage, I'm not too concerned about leakage from the thinner bottles.

I drain directly into one of these. Quick and easy

Storm%20Drain.jpg

Just kidding of course. I have never and would never do that.

I drain into one of these. Then I transfer to a 5 gallon kerosene container (dedicated to used oil -- I have another for used antifreeze) then I bring it to my local recycle center for disposal.

LIS-11102.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same one as the OP but purchased at AZ many years ago...the drain lid doesn't leak like a lot of people say about the Blitz one. I do have two gripes: BuickGN nailed it with the oil spray from the center hole because let's face it, you lose the center plug after the first use. The other is that it drains too slowly. After my first OC on the WRX I realized that the oil drains out of it with such vigor, that the shallow funnel top almost overfills....my civics were not like that. I'm thinking about getting the yellow version that someone posted that is wide open at the top and getting a 5 gallon container to store the old oil in. The only issue with that is if the oil plug drops in there....the oil out of the WRX was scalding hot even after the engine being off for 45 minutes.

Wedco drain can:

http://www.archardware.com/Funnels___Siphons/_1289081.htm

It stores it's collection funnel in the body. The funnel threads onto one cap to accept oil at one end. There's another cap for pouring. The threads are the standard size of a shutoff spout I have which I used to use to put the used oil back into the 1L plastic bottles the new oil came in, but my local dump will simply dump the big container into their barrels now.

It holds 12.5L, so only gets to about 2/3 full from one change.

I can't get under my car farther than my neck without ramps so that's not a factor, although this can is pretty slim.

Unfortunately I cannot find a manufacturer page for it, only retailer pages, so they don't tell you much about it.

I have an '07 STI and I agree. Subaru thought they were going for a Nascar pitstop. You pull the plug and the oil drains FAST. Be prepared or have a nice mess!

Looks something like this, but has a raised spot with a plastic nubbin for you to put the filter so it can drain into the pan.

blitzusa_triangle_oil_pan_LG.jpg

Make it easier to pour into the Sewer!
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.gif
(J/K)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Looks something like this, but has a raised spot with a plastic nubbin for you to put the filter so it can drain into the pan.
(J/K)

don't you miss having the oil filter drop into a pool of hot oil and splashing into your eyes?

Man we will talk about anything won't we? :)

I use an 8 qyart open top plastic pan with a spout on it. And yes I love the way the plug and the filter splash into taht hot pan of used oil and all over the place!

Wouldn't be DIY if it weren't a struggle

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 FastSUV. I found the ones with the closed cover with holes, just caused too much spillage and mess.

Yes they are junk and with all the oil knowledge in here I am actually surprised to see so many people using the closed design.

Even if they do not have a 5 gallon bucket to haul it in, they could reuse the 5 QT jug their oil came in most cases to take it to be recycled.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

blitzusa_triangle_oil_pan_LG.jpg

Make it easier to pour into the Sewer!
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.gif
(J/K)

That is the exact pan I use for doing my diff oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back