Worth stopping at the Rendezvous in Memphis for ribs?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Heading to Shreveport Monday for work, and thought about stopping at Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous for ribs in Memphis. Appears to be a popular tourist spot----- are the ribs worth the time and trouble?

vergos.jpg
ribs.jpg
ribs.jpg

My wife and I spent a couple days in Memphis and our uber driver was a retired memphis police officer. He recommended Rendezvous and "One & Only". We tried both and they were both some of the best barbecue I've had, but then again I love memphis-style bbq.

Reactions: GON
My wife and I spent a couple days in Memphis and our uber driver was a retired memphis police officer. He recommended Rendezvous and "One & Only". We tried both and they were both some of the best barbecue I've had, but then again I love memphis-style bbq.
I’m sorry to disagree so vehemently with you, but I hate One & Only! Tried them a few times, and it was always terrible. And my mom used to live next door to the owner.

It seems that, in Memphis, BBQ is such a common and everyday thing, that it can be hard to discern what good pork BBQ actually is there.

I think at a lot of the places, it’s hard to get good help, when the pay is so low. And, unfortunately, it shows through with the food.

Some of my favorite names in Memphis BBQ are Neely’s, Interstate, Leonard’s, and Central (but not the one on Poplar Ave. - go to the one on Central Ave, or Summer Ave).

If you have no clue what you’re talking about, it’s best to just not comment on that particular thread.
I wasn't aware that we can't post in threads because you don't think we should. Interesting that our 1st Amendment rights are being censored by a random internet user who has no idea what he's talking about. By your own logic, you shouldn't comment on my post because you have no idea what you're talking about.

I say go but temper your expectations.

Go because it is a landmark and a tradition in Memphis but also understand that ribs at Rendezvous are... weird. They're kind of their own thing and really nothing like you'll find anywhere else in the city (or any other city for that matter). They're cooked much quicker, over higher heat, and have a dry rub (lots) applied.

Rendezvous was one of the first BBQ hot spots I read about in a book about competition BBQ (those things we read before internet lists told us about the "50 Best BBQ Joints" and Guy Fieri was on Food Network). I think I enjoyed it as much because I finally made it to one of the first BBQ restaurants I ever read about as much as I enjoyed the food. My wife wasn't a fan of the ribs though.

As for the rest of Memphis: Cool place. My family and I stayed two nights at the Peabody, experienced the ducks, went to the zoo for the pandas, walked Beale Street, did the National Civil Rights Museum, took a Sun Studio tour, and ate at Central, Payne's, Germantown Commissary, and Rendezvous.

I think the people who say Memphis is a bad place are the same types that'll tell you to avoid Chicago. Their loss, I guess.

Did not enjoy Memphis much when I visited in the early 2000's. Never a desire to go back. The BBQ in general was good everywhere. The famous BBQ joint at the airport was probably one of my least favorite but still cleaned my plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry to disagree so vehemently with you, but I hate One & Only! Tried them a few times, and it was always terrible. And my mom used to live next door to the owner.
Huh... We thought it was phenomenal. I'll defer to you though, being the resident Memphisian and all.

I do think the strangest thing about Memphis has to be the Bass Pro in the pyramid. It's cool but what a strange venue for a Bass Pro Shop. That or the Peabody ducks. Those are also pretty weird.

Go to Central BBQ instead.
If your going for the food.

If you just want the experience of Vergos, then go.
IIRC they don't open until 5:00pm but will let you in with a limited menu.... yes the ribs are on it.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that we can't post in threads because you don't think we should. Interesting that our 1st Amendment rights are being censored by a random internet user who has no idea what he's talking about. By your own logic, you shouldn't comment on my post because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Except there’s the fact that I actually DO know what I’m talking about with regard to Memphis, because I was born there, grew up there, lived there for 33 years, still have immediate family and friends who live there, and still visit all the time. In fact, we‘ll be there next week.

When was the last time you were in Memphis?

There's only been 110 homicides as of May of this year. Don't be a hater Tyman.
And almost all of those are street violence that involves street gangs and thugs killing each other, similar to other big cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc.

Like all of those cities, Memphis has some great, unique, fun, and historical landmarks, museums, restaurants, parks, and other stuff to do.

Try not to believe everything you hear and read from the media.

Huh... We thought it was phenomenal. I'll defer to you though, being the resident Memphisian and all.

I do think the strangest thing about Memphis has to be the Bass Pro in the pyramid. It's cool but what a strange venue for a Bass Pro Shop. That or the Peabody ducks. Those are also pretty weird.
Bass Pro is actually one of the coolest things in Memphis now!

Have you been in there? It’s an absolutely amazing place, with a restaurant in the top of the Pyramid with the best views in town, and also includes a 5-star resort. Here are some shots of my then-fiancée (now wife), my sister, and her family, out on the observation deck of the Pyramid:
222CA823-89B0-4395-8CE2-A8B7D474FB71.jpeg
ED598E5D-17CF-43C4-BDC7-EA3D8548F7D4.jpeg

In the restaurant at the top:
016DF9D8-0261-4FA8-AF35-4538D041F346.jpeg

Observation deck of The Peabody
61F2B7E7-A136-4666-BA30-843295957D14.jpeg

Have you been in there?
Yep! My wife and I went up there. She's terrified of heights and didn't know about the glass floor. It was quite the ordeal to get her out on the balcony but the sunset over the Mississippi was worth it. Didn't eat at the restaurant but it had a good looking menu.

The island out in the river with apartments on it seems like a bad idea...

Yep! My wife and I went up there. She's terrified of heights and didn't know about the glass floor. It was quite the ordeal to get her out on the balcony but the sunset over the Mississippi was worth it. Didn't eat at the restaurant but it had a good looking menu.

The island out in the river with apartments on it seems like a bad idea...
That’s Mud Island, and the high-end apartments and condos are called Harbortown.

Not sure if they’ve ever had any flooding there or not. I don’t remember ever hearing about any.

Except there’s the fact that I actually DO know what I’m talking about with regard to Memphis, because I was born there, grew up there, lived there for 33 years, still have immediate family and friends who live there, and still visit all the time. In fact, we‘ll be there next week.

When was the last time you were in Memphis?
Sunday, actually. Tyvm. And just because you lived there doesn’t mean other people can’t have opinions about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back