Sub Inflation

Well a few bucks on a sub twaint nuttn'
As noted on 1/1/24 MD minimum wage went to $15 an hr.

I just logged into a local builder that uses the Amish to do the rough framing etc.

Their base 2500 Sq. Ft. ranch house base price on your land was $364k and is now $394k and they had a price increase last year.

That's base without any frills etc.

mcripoff_01.gif

I have heard that before, but I wonder exactly what the savings are.
I did cover it here but I can get one breakfast sandwich every day as a bogo deal... McDonald's
30% off $10 etc... and free stuff....

Wendy's double $2 and single $1 but only once a week.

Popeyes is killing it with deals and rewards

I was in Nowhereville Arkansas over the weekend (population around 1,200). Went into a Subway for lunch. One of those half of a gas station arrangements. Ordered a six-inch turkey and couldn't even finish it. I was very surprised, more meat and toppings than I'd get in a foot long here in Kansas City. I'm not kidding. And 22 bucks out the door for two meal combos' including a tip for the hard-working ladies behind the counter.

Shrinkflation hasn't hit everywhere yet I guess.

I was in Nowhereville Arkansas over the weekend (population around 1,200). Went into a Subway for lunch. One of those half of a gas station arrangements. Ordered a six-inch turkey and couldn't even finish it. I was very surprised, more meat and toppings than I'd get in a foot long here in Kansas City. I'm not kidding. And 22 bucks out the door for two meal combos' including a tip for the hard-working ladies behind the counter.

I used to work at that Subway. Great place.
Only that ain't Turkey... 😁

Got nailed by my good Chinese food joint. Wednesday night we got on line and looked up what we were going to purchase for a birthday party. Thursday we go to order and everything went up a lot. The $11.95 menus went up to $15.95 overnight :eek:

I read an article recently that restaurants are going out of business in record numbers...I guess the 40 year high inflation is taking away 'discretionary spending' for many Americans.
The margins for restaurants are thin in the best of times.

I get still get most footlongs for $6.99 since I only buy the sandwich with coupons.

Sadly coupons don’t work on salads, (they won’t chop them anymore either) also the bread now days is more narrow and tapered which makes the sandwich smaller dimensionally.

Since Subway is still a place I can pay with card, I leave the minimum tip which is usually 10% for takeout (I view subway different than places I’m driving through for some reason). No idea if corporate steals part of the tip.

Something new I was at a bar that serves fish fries a few weeks ago and encountered a place that lacked the custom tip or no tip options when paying by card, 20% minimum, with percentages going up to 50%
they also charged 3.5% cc fee. (I had 5% cash back on food That month)

Their food despite having a pseudo gourmet vibe (and price) was not as good as our cheap local dive bar with fewer sides included. Service was aloof and slow. I would have left 15-18% but it wasn’t possible, I leave more percentage wise when the food is half the price (local dive and folks I know) than when it’s an owner operator type folks working that edges on overcharging .

They are new and renovated an old brick general store/soda fountain leaving a distressed brick and wooden floor look, if I go back without 5% cash back they will get paid in cash with an appropriate tip for the food and service provided, my guess is it might be a year though.

Last edited:
Back