Worst. Rancher. Ever.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Woke up to two young bulls and 2 cows in the road.

Wife neighbor and I coaxed/ corralled them into the pasture directly across from my house.

No brand, no tags. Cant find the owners driving all over, stopped in at the tack room (restaurant) nobody knows.

Finally track down the neighbor and tell him to come get his animals - guy has no truck, trailer, horses, or ropes. (??!??!??!)

" The bulls are kind of hard to deal with" - Gee no kidding. Guys got ZERO skills and no balls. - bad combination for a rancher, and very likely he isn't ranching jack but raising pets.

Finally after a week of this guy finding a way to do nothing we rented two actual cowboys from the local bar and they brought a dog and took them back up the road a half mile.

IMG_4827.jpeg

Last edited:
That's why I gave up raising animals, years ago. I had mainly sheep, goats and a couple calves. I have no patience for them. Came home from work numerous times to find them out of my fences. (which were old and crappy)

I enjoyed chickens the most. Gave fresh eggs and they were fun to watch, chasing crickets and stuff.

Worst was a mean billy goat. He would ram me and do anything to start a fight. I ended the fight several times with the pattern of a 12 gauge shotgun, from a distance. He would stand in the barn sore, for a month or so. One day he wanted to fight. I took
him to the ground and held him on his back. Hollered to wife and said to get a 5 gallon bucket of water. She poured it into his face and he cried like a baby. LOL! Got up and he was really pizzed then!

Would have been interesting to see an X-ray of the goat. He had to have been loaded with shot.

Don't miss those days, except for the chickens. Glad I moved to town.

have had close encounters with (escaped) black angus bulls at night - you just can’t see them … Really a bad situation …

That's why I gave up raising animals, years ago. I had mainly sheep, goats and a couple calves. I have no patience for them. Came home from work numerous times to find them out of my fences. (which were old and crappy)

I enjoyed chickens the most. Gave fresh eggs and they were fun to watch, chasing crickets and stuff.

Worst was a mean billy goat. He would ram me and do anything to start a fight. I ended the fight several times with the pattern of a 12 gauge shotgun, from a distance. He would stand in the barn sore, for a month or so. One day he wanted to fight. I took
him to the ground and held him on his back. Hollered to wife and said to get a 5 gallon bucket of water. She poured it into his face and he cried like a baby. LOL! Got up and he was really pizzed then!

Would have been interesting to see an X-ray of the goat. He had to have been loaded with shot.

Dad? :ROFLMAO: If you said bull and not goat would make me wonder. We had a bull that never wanted to stay in and dad finally got tired of it... He would of set off metal detectors for sure. That goat would of never survived our farm.

They were loose for seven days roaming??????????

Was the fence repaired?

Might need those cowboys again.

I remember a similar situation growing up on the family farm but it was a horse. He was calm when being ridden (so long as you knew what you were doing) but was a PITA otherwise. My grandfather would pop him with rat shot from a little .22 pistol. It got to where all he had to do was show the horse the pistol, and the horse would freeze in place and let you do whatever you wanted to him so long as that pistol was visible. If you put the pistol away, he'd go right back to pushing your buttons. Even when ridden, he would still have a mind of his own at times. If he had an itchy butt or something, he would either lay down with little warning, tossing you off, to roll around on the ground or would rub against a tree while you're fighting the limbs, wasps, and spider webs above.

Yeah, spraying an animal with shot isn't a practice good farmers would use... We had a similar buck, but he had his own paddock and we fed and watered him from outside the fence. If I went in I carried a long shovel handle and rang it sharply off his horns if he got too aggressive.
We won't get a bull though, to big and potentially troublesome.

cattle rustling is a federal crime.
I suspect cattle running unmarked and free on public land are fair game though? Who can say whose they are?
We get the odd cattle or horse escapee, but usually the owner and some neighbors just herd it back in? Nothing runs loose for a day let alone a week? Kind of a dysfunctional neighborhood?

Yeah, spraying an animal with shot isn't a practice good farmers would use... We had a similar buck, but he had his own paddock and we fed and watered him from outside the fence. If I went in I carried a long shovel handle and rang it sharply off his horns if he got too aggressive.
I sure never won any farmer of the year awards!;)

Finally wrapped a chain around his horns. Attached an old transmission top from an Allis Chalmers WD to drag on the ground. That cured him of jumping fences and trying to chase me around.(y)

@UncleDave, you went above and beyond what a good neighbor needed to do. I would think most would have washed their hands of the situation, once they found the owner, and told him where his cattle were. At that point, it would be up to him to take care of it.

Using an electric cattle prod is a lot kinder to an animal? That is the practice that most farmers here use to handle stubborn animals.

Back