Worse than Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While shopping for some brake cleaner at a regional parts store in New England, VIP, I noticed no yellow glare (Penzoil) amongst their "orange wall of death". In their place was a small section of house brand filters that was never there before. I HAD to open the box and examine one. Oval slots and white color similar to a Motorcraft was the first thing I noticed. Purolator maybe? - nope - in small print on the back of the box three revulsive words "made in China" !!!
freak2.gif
freak2.gif
freak2.gif

Their price was the same as what they formerly charged for Penzoil, $2.99. Their normal sell price for Fram is $3.99, about .75 more than Wally. I will wait until they put them on sale before I buy one to cut up and examine. Hopefully it's not going to be a big trend with other manufacturers.
frown.gif

"Made in China" can mean lowest possible cost on lowest quality filter... OR it can mean high quality filter at price competitive with low cost garbage.

It all depends on what the manufacturer/distributor is trying to accomplish.

I think it is because I have actually visited China... it really irritates me when people say stuff like this: "three revulsive words".

Stores are now forced to source their products in China. It's the only kind of product that all their unemployed customers can afford to buy.

Stores? U.S. "manufacturers" are rushing headlong to China's cheap labor and manufacturing for supply. China's not to blame for the loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs. American industry profit-driven greed is. The Chinese, meanwhile, are buying U.S. Treasury notes. Sleep tight, America - someone loves you.

quote:

Originally posted by BigAl:
Stores are now forced to source their products in China. It's the only kind of product that all their unemployed customers can afford to buy.

Nicely said.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
"Made in China" can mean lowest possible cost on lowest quality filter... OR it can mean high quality filter at price competitive with low cost garbage.

It all depends on what the manufacturer/distributor is trying to accomplish.

I think it is because I have actually visited China... it really irritates me when people say stuff like this: "three revulsive words".

I'll have to remember that: Kanling visited China so it's OK to buy their junk and be a willing participant in their unfair trade practices and human rights violations. Maybe if I help their economy further, they'll need more energy and I might be able to pay $4 a gallon for gas sometime soon. I can't wait!
mad.gif

I visited Hong Kong, the guys with guns patroling the river didn't want me to cross into China, so I can't say I have shared the same experience.
frown.gif

I haven't used a Fram since 1998. Today at the zone I went past the Frams and bought two STP oil filters. After reading this site and talking with Champion Labs themselves, I no longer have any qualms about buying STP filters.
smile.gif

quote:

in small print on the back of the box three revulsive words "made in China" !!!

OH NOOOOOOOOOOO......

So what kind of filtration material does "made in china" refer to? Maybe it's a new ISO test?

Folks in the U.S. generally have a lot of preconceived notions about China that a few trips there teach you are not very accurate. (Chinese similarly have a lot of ideas about the U.S. that aren't exactly right, either... it goes both ways.)

Dude, my family owns a business in china which is a supplier of electronic components to the assembly lines of Toyota, Honda, GM, and Fiat plants in Europe and the US. We don't supply them with doodoo, and nor are the products cheap. While there are companies in china chugging out crap, there are also ones that are actually serious about what they do.

That aside, I still would stay away with anything made in china. Simply because they chug out more doodoo than anybody else. Their government also like to take the money they made from selling the doodoo, turn them into nuclear missiles, and aim them at their neighbor Taiwan. 600 to be exact, all at that little spot.

The ideas of americans towards china is actually pretty correct, because of the free press and information. As for the chinese idea towards americans? hehe.... you don't want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back