Worried when I leave home..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an answer for you but understand your fears. Our house burned to the ground in 2006. My Daughter was home and saved the Family dog. No injuries to anyone or the dog but the house was a total loss.

What you can do:

Have a trusted neighbor "house and pet sit" for you when you're away.
Sign up on *Care.com petsitters* and pay a petsitter to watch over your babies when you're away.

You can keep in touch with with either/or while on your trip to give you peace of mind
smile.gif

If this is a overnight or longer stay away, is no one available to stay and watch the place and feed the animals?

If this is just a day out, then you are over worried. During fire season stick close to home

Seems like a pet door would give YOU some relief .
Get a therapist and have a few sessions, relax, life is good.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You have nothing but complaints about where you live. That says to me that its time to move.

Yep, that's exactly what I was about to say. Some parts of California are very prone to fires.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Moving is not an option right now. House is paid for. Awsome view. No close neighbors and 2 great jobs 15 minutes from home. I really like the place.

There you go. Life is about compromises. You win some, you lose some.. there will always be things that have to be dealt with.

Your worry seems like a fair "price" to pay for all of the things you pointed out.

Many people would gladly trade their current problems for your situation.

One cannot have their cake and eat it too.

Anxiety is a "shades of grey" type phenomena.

It, and the consideration that it makes us take in terms of risk taking helped us to get where we are on the food chain, and become what we are to the planet.

Worrying that the things important to you are at risk while you are out helps you to manage the risks, install window locks and change the keys when you move in. Worrying that you turned the stove off is healthy.

The grey starts to shift when you turn around and start second guessing yourself.

When I get that way, I find that there's something else that I need to address...might take a while to find out what it was.

Either your house will burn...or it won't. If it doesn't burn, there is no problem. If it does burn, you will have lots more to worry and feel bad about than the loss of a few pets. You can always get more pets.

In times like this, people look to Divinity tho keep their sanity.

Let go and let God.

Anxiety is normal... as I understand it you don't have kids so you may have a parental reflex kicking in to protect your pets. If it weren't pets you might want to protect a muscle car collection or whatever. We all want to be needed.

It's your body wanting to react to engineer something, like a fire break on your land or a sprinkler system.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'd be sad over a dead pet for a few days. Then move on, and get a new pet. It's not something that should consume you.

Whether a pet or a human, grief should never overtake a person
to the point where they cannot function in life anymore.

We all die someday,
our pets die, our parents and siblings die, and so do our best friends.
Grieve their loss, but don't forget to live life again.

I have a cat that is prone to urinary blockages and must be fed fresh moist food every day, and if he gets a blockage he could be dead in a day. I do like someone else mentioned and hire someone from care.com to take care of him while I'm away. It's inexpensive and great for peace of mind. Most of them them will update you everyday on the pets'well being.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I don't have an answer for you but understand your fears. Our house burned to the ground in 2006. My Daughter was home and saved the Family dog. No injuries to anyone or the dog but the house was a total loss.

Luckily nobody was injured or killed.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
All this anxiety over the possibility of your pets burning in a fire?

That's not normal. You need to seek medical help. I'm serious.

Not sure it's rational or humane to blow off the potential of a living thing burning up in a fire, just because it's only a pet.

And I'm not particularly an animal or a pet lover.

Agree with telling this all to a medical professional. Not being able to leave your home due to anxiety can worsen over time. Get an appointment and help yourself out.

You need someone like me. I am a pet nanny for 3 cats. Take care of the cats/house/property. I am the only person I know that will have cats willed to them.

That being said I could not imagine dealing with all those cats during a fire. They may run and hide. Dogs may be easier to deal with.

There is only so much you can do. For the rest, Letting Go of things you cannot control may be best for mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back