Worn Audi 1.8t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ihave a 2000 audi a4 1.8T (ajl engine- a varient of the aeb). Its got 200,000kms on it and oil pressure gets VERY low when its at full operating temp. It also sounds a bit rattlely up the top end.

I've been using shell rotella t6 as im also concerned about sludging (big issue with this engine).

Im thinking i should get something with some heavier base-stock in it to help with the rattle. Any thoughts?

10w40 and a 'big kahuna' filter will see you right
wink.gif

Sydney Australia ?

Do we get Rotella here now? I thought it was all Shell Rimula in Oz.

Anyway....Welcome

I bought the big Mann filters. Yes, sydney australia.

No, we dont get rotella here but someone imports it and sells it on ebay. Its about $13 a litre, which isnt dissimilar to other good synthetics here really. But i think i should go slightly thicker. M1? Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: GuillaumeG
check rod bearings

edit : higher viscosity oil would only be a temporary fix.

Agreed.

(I suggested a fluid because that's what he asked about)

Originally Posted By: GuillaumeG
check rod bearings

edit : higher viscosity oil would only be a temporary fix.

But it will help. Rotella T6 is one the thin side for HDEO's.

Switch to a 15W-40 HDEO (not a Rotella variant) and it should quiet down nicely. Delo400, if you can get, it will be real good oil for this scenario. Generally quieter running. But the OCI will have to be reduced to 5K or so because it will be slowly dissolving any sludge that might be there. It's a real good cleaner over time
smile.gif

If no Delo400, Mobil Delvac would be my second choice. T6 has been noisy in a couple of cars I've serviced. Delo400 & Delvac quieted them right down on the next change
smile.gif

Last edited:
i have owned the car for a year- I had an oil pressure gauge fitted recently which started this. It has 195000 kms on it.

The service history is "good"- regular oil changes. I do 5000-7500 OCIs.

It is going in next week for a sump drop & new oil pump/pickup screen and replacement PCV hoses. But it could still use a slightly thicker oil I think, due to wear. I will see what I can get of the products mentioned.

One of the penrite synthetics is reccomended too- high zinc.

Yeah go the high Zinc, Full PAO / Ester synthetic, Penrite 10-Tenths oils. Premium or Racing (which are "street legal").

The Penrite Racing 10W-40 has a HTHS of 4.49 !! That is massive for a 40 weight oil (thanks for the data Shannow). A typical 0W-40 synthetic like Castrol Edge or M1 has a HTHS of about 3.6 to 3.8

As you said, probably much the same price as buying imported Rotella from eBay, but the Penrite should have better base stock.

I would go the Penrite, just because you can. But if you want to try Delo as someone suggest above, I have found Delo 400 15W-40, which is a great mineral HDEO at my local CalTex Servo. Only place I have ever seen it around here.

I hope it works out well for you.

What oil pressure is your car showing ?
If it's noisy you have a serious problem .
First off drop the sump and clean it and the oil pickup screen . You might seriously consider aq new oil pump .
Use VW spec 502.0 oil ... I use Mobil 1 0-40 and have 186,000 miles , not Km , on it and it uses i quart per 5000 miles .
Oil pressure is strong and no noises .
Take a look at Club B5 website for lots of good info .
You do know about timing belt changes right ? And have the water pump done at the same time .
And use VW spec coolant ..... G12 or the newer G13 .

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruno
What oil pressure is your car showing ?..

This. Is the car with the original turbo and original tune? What hot idle oil pressure this engine makes? If it is something bellow 0,5 bar I think it is time for an overhaul. These engines are rock solid, some years ago I've had a B5 1,8t with KO4 turbo and it made 250whp. Very tuneable engines.

Last edited:
Cold idle is 70psi, hit idle is under 10psi. Hot or cold with >1500 rpm is fine (35-110psi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back