work at Buc-ee's?

Probably a W2 employee...only small amount can be taken for unreimbured employee expenses.
They shouldn't be unreimbursed though. I don't know his specifics but if he has to fly commercially, stay in a hotel, then fly these (private) jets or planes somewhere else, the company/employer needs to be paying for the plane ticket, hotel, and food while he's traveling.

They shouldn't be unreimbursed though. I don't know his specifics but if he has to fly commercially, stay in a hotel, then fly these (private) jets or planes somewhere else, the company/employer needs to be paying for the plane ticket, hotel, and food while he's traveling.

I agree. Company credit card…… or reimbursement of all legitimate work related expenses.

No reimbursement for beer and chicken wings at the Kitty Kat Strip Club trying to expense $500 for dinner and claim it was a business expense. 🤐😳🫣

^^^
That happens more often than people think.

Last edited:
No reimbursement for beer and chicken wings at the Kitty Kat Strip Club
At my old job, a co-worker let things get out of hand with alcohol, a strip club, multiple bottles of Cristal (with strip-club mark-up!!), and a company credit card. Within reason, the company would have just covered it and warned "don't do it again" but the amount was too much that time. The employee was warned (off-the-record, nothing was documented) and was told they need to reimburse the company. His wife handled all of their finances to the point he simply couldn't get the cash so they said they can withhold it from his paychecks and spread it out. Nope, that wouldn't work either 'cause she sees his paystubs. 🤪🤪🤪 He pleaded with his supervisor and they eventually agreed to withhold a small enough amount spread over almost a year !!

I've mentioned this before just a few times, but it fits in this thread too.

I pay my own travel and lodging expenses (non deductible BTW), lately it's been north of $50K per year. Add in the (now insane) taxes and health/auto/homeowners insurance of about $70K per year living in Jupiter, FL, along with no raise in over a decade. And being a gas station manager looks pretty good...

So when I see the gas station employees can bring home well more than I do, like double, I wonder why I do any of this and work so many hours, flying and driving all over the place. Sure it's fun as heck, but I have exactly zero "me" time.

OxvDmET.jpg
I don’t know what it is about flying jobs, but for me, I have always ended up paying a premium for having a “fun” job.
Travel expenses are high and pay seems low for the responsibility involved. I survived a career in general aviation somehow and am glad to have gently backed away from that work. I enjoyed the experience and did have fun, but luck seems to have played a part..

I could see myself enjoying working at Bucee’s. I can do whatever needs to be done and not worry about phone calls coming in about the latest urgent thing that needs immediate attention.

Always max out the contributions to your 401K plans though.

Is that a Pilatus?

The Buc-ee's cult phenomenon is fascinating. We made our first visit last fall on our way back from Florida. I was not impressed and it reminded me of every reason I chose a path less traveled out of high school. The crowds, people bumping into each other, blank stares everywhere as people grab a prime rib sandwich off an assembly line. Reminded me of rats in a frenzy around a spilled box of cereal.

Like Costco, they have a formula that works. Good of them to offer excellent wages and promote good work ethic. Their stores seem clean and well run. I even posed with the big Beaver himself (shame on me).

I might visit another Buc-ee's in the future just for the entertainment value.
1714652719852.gif

Oh, regarding 401K's, as baby boomer I have guilt repercussions cause my employer pays 2x my 5% contribution. It offsets our slightly lower pay scale compared to other places.

I have returned I think twice since my initial visit - once in Florida and once in TN. The salad was surprisingly good for a gas station. The brisket was way over rated.

QT is still better but they don’t publish there pay scale so I wonder about working there.

Back