woohoo! $60/quart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the new July issue of Car and Driver, there is a write on the new Ferrari Enzo (F-60).
The end of the article says the special oil it takes is called Shell Helix 10W-60 synthetic oil. The V12 engine holds 12.2 quarts, so that comes to $732 just for the oil
shocked.gif

No mention of what he oil filter runs... and the article says this oil must be used for warranty purposes, and a replacement engine will set you back $200k.
Not to mention the $6k brake pads and $24k rotors that an owner wore out in 1200 miles or mostly hard-race type driving.
pat.gif

So anyone wanna chip in a buy a quart for a virgin oil analysis and see what $60/quart will get ya???
Maybe Toyota will spec this for their sludge monsters...
grin.gif

Yeah, Ferrari is a real stickler about the oil in their engines. The only reason Shell imports Helix into the US is because of Ferrari.

Shell Helix Ultra 10w60.

[ June 01, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Are you sure that is retail price per quart. SHell Helix is usualy sold buy the gallon and is $60 a gallon not $60 a quart. The dealership is probably marking it up double or triple their cost. I only say this because on poster from Austraila listed the price for helix as 45 pounds a gallon I thought.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Are you sure that is retail price per quart. SHell Helix is usualy sold buy the gallon and is $60 a gallon not $60 a quart. The dealership is probably marking it up double or triple their cost. I only say this because on poster from Austraila listed the price for helix as 45 pounds a gallon I thought.

According to my local Shell distributor, he can get me Helix Ultra–if I want a 55-gallon drum. He says that's the only way Shell imports it, and it's for Ferrari dealers. Guess they can charge whatever they want for a quart of it.

Dave89144 You are correct. I did some checking and it is indeed that expensive!!! That is insane!! I also saw that they have 3 different version of Helix and the other poster must have been useing the standard or the plus!

I just compared the white papers for Helix Ultra to Redline SAE oils. Well Shell definately comes out on top in most areas. I still do not see where the oil is $53.00 per quart better then Redline. Sounds to me like they need to detune the engine for some durability!

I have used the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 full synth here and didn't think that much of it. Certainly would rank other oils above it. Sounds like the Ferrari has the same probably as the BMW M3. They had to increase the top end (60w) as the motors were blowing up on the lower visco oils when driven hard.

Helix Ultra is advertised as the "Ferrari factory fill" down here.

It's a 5W-40 oil (maybe it's only the name that relates it to Ferrari's "ultra").

It used to be an oil that "offered synthetic performance", with Shell's XHVI basestock, but is now marketted as a full synthetic.

It's about $50(Oz) per 5 litres, or $27(US) per U.S. gallon

Hi,
this is my first post here.
I have used Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50 ( SJ/CF - A3/B3-96 )( full synthetic ) for many years in many different cars etc.
It is used for most and earlier Ferraris here - there are many

Currently on the "RENNLIST" Porsche 928 Forum Board I am sampling this oil in my MY89 928 S4 to confirm Porsche's recommended drain intervals
It is a high TBN oil and is certainly performing as I thought it - would excellently!

Unfortunately it has been replaced with an SL oil so eventually I will standardise on Mobil Delvac 1 ( I use it in my heavy trucks ( Detroit 12.7 ltrs, 500hp ), BMW Z3 2.8, Subarus and etc )
Helix Ultra sells here for $A50 for 5 litres

Regards
Doug Hillary
Airlie Beach - Tropical North Queensland - Australia

quote:

Originally posted by dave89144:
In the new July issue of Car and Driver, there is a write on the new Ferrari Enzo (F-60).
The end of the article says the special oil it takes is called Shell Helix 10W-60 synthetic oil. The V12 engine holds 12.2 quarts, so that comes to $732 just for the oil
shocked.gif

No mention of what he oil filter runs... and the article says this oil must be used for warranty purposes, and a replacement engine will set you back $200k.
Not to mention the $6k brake pads and $24k rotors that an owner wore out in 1200 miles or mostly hard-race type driving.
pat.gif

So anyone wanna chip in a buy a quart for a virgin oil analysis and see what $60/quart will get ya???
Maybe Toyota will spec this for their sludge monsters...
grin.gif

Sounds like a good case for UOAs and extended drains!

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
this is my first post here.
I have used Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50 ( SJ/CF - A3/B3-96 )( full synthetic ) for many years in many different cars etc.
It is used for most and earlier Ferraris here - there are many

Currently on the "RENNLIST" Porsche 928 Forum Board I am sampling this oil in my MY89 928 S4 to confirm Porsche's recommended drain intervals
It is a high TBN oil and is certainly performing as I thought it - would excellently!

Unfortunately it has been replaced with an SL oil so eventually I will standardise on Mobil Delvac 1 ( I use it in my heavy trucks ( Detroit 12.7 ltrs, 500hp ), BMW Z3 2.8, Subarus and etc )
Helix Ultra sells here for $A50 for 5 litres

Regards
Doug Hillary
Airlie Beach - Tropical North Queensland - Australia

welcome.gif
To the boards. Do you have any Used Oil Analysis you could share with us?? They Get posted here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=3

Let's say it's the price of admission.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

[ June 01, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Sounds to me like the price is artificaly inflated due to low vilume in the USA. Being associate with Ferrari can not help either. I almost fell over when I heard the price for BMW's oil at $14 a quart. I definately agree that their are some people with more money then brains!!

Not exactly a detailed and verifiable UOA, nor can I vouch for the editorial staff's impartiality, but, the July 1998* issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries had some interesting comparison results of several premium synthetics that may be of interest.

*That five year old date, alone, may obviate the results' relevance in any case.

[ June 01, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

The Aussie Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 would be the worst syn oil we have tested on our Timken. Now we know a Timken isn't everything but oils that perform well on it seem to perform well on UOA analysis generally. I'll bet the 10W60 is a whole different ballgame than this stuff.

quote:

I definately agree that their are some people with more money then brains!!

That is the truth. I love people who buy BMWs just because they are BMWs. They usually don't know anything about cars but they want it for the status value.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I'll bet the 10W60 is a whole different ballgame than this stuff.

It is. I saw the MSDS on it last fall (and now I can't remember what site I saw it on). The base oil blend was 50% XHVI and 50% ester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back