Wonder what caused this tread separation

I had 2005 Atlantic Blue with grey leather and fake wood sedan, GT and manual. Manual wagons are rare.
Good find.

Krzyś

Thanks for that.

This is my forever car. I love this thing. I already dropped in a new short block and fully rebuilt heads in early 2019. I generally do all the work myself, so that saves quit a bit of cash. I have no issues tearing the car apart.

I'll bring her into the shop and say what they say about the alignment. I'll have 'em get her dialed in as best as they can.

I know most people dream about owning an Italian exotic or something unreasonable, I've dreamed about owning this car since i first saw it in 2005. A White Legacy GT Wagon. She came with a standard transmission in 05 only (for the wagon). I saw it, and knew that was the car i was going to own. They're hard to find, so when i did, i bought it. I had actually seen this car around town for a year before it went on sale. used to work at the control tower at the airport and my work took me there frequently. Then it wasn't there. a month later it was for sale at a small used car lot i drove by by pure chance. Bought it that day. So yeah, i'm willing to dump whatever into this car.
For being almost 20 years old, it's in pretty decent condition.

I appreciate all the insight. Thanks everyone.
Get yourself reputable tires. You can have best safety car with gazillion airbags, but safety starts and end with tires.
Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone etc. get tires like that and do not get them on Amazon.

Thanks for that.

This is my forever car. I love this thing. I already dropped in a new short block and fully rebuilt heads in early 2019. I generally do all the work myself, so that saves quit a bit of cash. I have no issues tearing the car apart.

I'll bring her into the shop and say what they say about the alignment. I'll have 'em get her dialed in as best as they can.

I know most people dream about owning an Italian exotic or something unreasonable, I've dreamed about owning this car since i first saw it in 2005. A White Legacy GT Wagon. She came with a standard transmission in 05 only (for the wagon). I saw it, and knew that was the car i was going to own. They're hard to find, so when i did, i bought it. I had actually seen this car around town for a year before it went on sale. used to work at the control tower at the airport and my work took me there frequently. Then it wasn't there. a month later it was for sale at a small used car lot i drove by by pure chance. Bought it that day. So yeah, i'm willing to dump whatever into this car.
For being almost 20 years old, it's in pretty decent condition.

I appreciate all the insight. Thanks everyone.

Nice car! Way back when I took a class at the Panoz/Subaru Driving School at Road Atlanta and the Chief Instructor had just gotten a new '05 GT Wagon with Manual.

Hope he didn't sling it around like he did like that 15 passenger V10 Ford Van when showing us the preferred line on the track! I was never so sure I was going to end up on the roof in my life! Talk about the wrong tool for the job...

Get yourself reputable tires. You can have best safety car with gazillion airbags, but safety starts and end with tires.
Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone etc. get tires like that and do not get them on Amazon.
I bought toyo celcius tires. From a tire shop. So far they've exceeded my expectations for snow driving. Which is good as I live in Alaska and the roads are covered in snow 50% of the year.

Thanks for posting that info.

My experience says that any camber over 1° may lead to wear issues like yours - unless the toe is exactly on spec - which they hardly ever are.

So have the alignment tech dial out as much camber as he can. This may prove difficult as many alignment techs seem to think that if the vehicle manufacturer didn't provide adjustability into the suspension, that it either shouldn't or can't be done. This is far from the truth! You have to ask UPFRONT! It may take a camber plate or an eccentric bolt (Extra cost!!), but it can and should be done!

On the other hand, you have a lot of miles on the vehicle and it's going to need some new suspension parts to get it so that ii is tight enough to hold the alignment. You might not be willing to put so much money into a car whose lifetime is growing short.

As an alignment tech, I have to disagree. Camber is fine, it is the toe that wears out tires. More than 1 degree is normal if you want to have a car that actually handles. I run more than -2.0 on my cars and get even wear. And suggesting having to run camber plates to fix tire wear? On the cars I work on, a decent set of plates will cost the same as two sets of tires. Not everyone is driving an out of warranty 20 year old car.

On the retreads comments, you may see large truck carcasses on the highway. If you see the belts with the carcass, the tired failed due to under-inflation or a puncture. This is a vast majority of the causes of tire failures. I have yet to see a retread failure in my driving.
A quality retread is a very good tire. Thinking Bandag process.
As a previous fleet manager, we ran Bandags on our trailer tires and tractor traction tires.
Never steer tires.
Back in 80's I was driving my coworkers vehicle with him in it. Older Impala with 409 which just had tires put on it. Over 100 mph tire came apart and that is when I realized that he purchased recaps. Tore fender up but got pulled over safely to put on spare. Never again as I could of killed both of us. Tire distributor replaced tire but not fender.

As an alignment tech, I have to disagree. Camber is fine, it is the toe that wears out tires. More than 1 degree is normal if you want to have a car that actually handles. I run more than -2.0 on my cars and get even wear. And suggesting having to run camber plates to fix tire wear? On the cars I work on, a decent set of plates will cost the same as two sets of tires. Not everyone is driving an out of warranty 20 year old car.

My experience as well, toe wears tyres much faster than camber. But worst is having too much toe combined with camber.

Running -2 on the rear of mine aswell and over -1 on the front. Can't spot the supposed camber wear on the summer tyres.

Back