Womens' Cars and the "Magic Heat Pedal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used warm my honda for about 5-6 min when it was 30-40 degrees in the morning but i dont do that now in my Tacoma. People need to be educated with BITOG before they buy a car.

How about the "Magic Cancel Pedal"? That's the brake pedal to some people.
No matter what sort of bonehead move you just made, the "Magic Cancel Pedal" will undo it, just like pushing the "cancel" button in a Windows dialog box...

One day a week I run Meals on Wheels and one day when picking up the meals this elderly gentlemen who also delivers meals was trying to start his car and it kept grinding. I frantically waved him off, and he opended the door and said it does this every once in a while, it'll start sooner or later. I said loudly - "It is already running!". He says - "Oh my gosh, I must have forgot to shut it off!".
lol.gif

"I should have been more clear. It's not so much the revving that's illegal in Germany, but idling a car in a parking lot just to stay warm is a no-no.... probably because it's considered a waste of natural resources and pollutes the air.

In America one would say that they paid for the gas and can do what they want with it. This type of thinking just doesn't fly in Germany."

Actually leaving the car running with the keys in it is illegal in a lot of areas.

I've said this before, and I will say it again.

I grew up in Massachusetts. We tend to have what I consider overall "cold" winters.

Growing up, nobody in my family ever did this "warming up the car" crap, and I still don't to this day.

If my car is covered with ice or snow when I get out of work, I pry open a door, get out my scraper/brush, and go to work. When I am done, I simply get in the car, start it, perhaps allow 30 seconds for oil pressure to stabilize, then I drive away.

Been doing that for about 15 years now.

Why fools do the whole "warming up" thing is beyond me. My father knows next to nothing about cars or anything mechanical (he's a doctor, what do you expect), but even ***HE*** knows it's not good for the car!

Some people just dont know when it comes to the warming up thing. In my manual it says when the fan smooths out thats when you drive off. Thats about 5-10 seconds but i let it sit for at least one min.

Of the rare times I have seen a rod actually go through the side of an engine block, revving a cold engine accounts for two of the times.

Well I will confess to starting the car and letting it run while I work on the snow scratimg. Whe it domes to me getting a little warmer a little faster....I'll chose my comfort over the cars every time. Over the 45 years of driving all my cars get traded in at good condition at 100K plus.

Letting the car gently idle for a few minutes while
you scrape the windows... eh, ok. But we're talking
about those who rev the engine at near WOT. Geez,
what if they don't have a tach??

What we need is a BITOG-enthusiast used car network.
Buy a car that hasn't been abused from a fellow
BITOG'er. Hmmm... I mention this because I'm
looking for a decent 4-cylinder high MPG car.
Threads like this scare me.
rolleyes.gif

I experimented with this and my scangauge the other day.
I had assumed idling at elevated RPM, due to no load, would be much less expensive than driving at those RPM on the interstate.
NOPE.
Floored, hitting the 4000 RPM governor, my Duratec-equipped Sable was burning 11 gallons per hour.
At 3000 RPM it was burning 2.5 GPH.
I can cruise at 55 MPH on level ground all day for 2.0 GPH.
On the up side, my coolant temp appeared to go up about 3 degrees F per second, rather than 1 degree.
I did this as an experiment, and only for a few seconds, and in forty-degree F weather. Plus, due to my bankruptcy, I can turn this car in to the bank at no penalty to me if it throws a rod. :)
After 30 seconds, I would be willing to up the idle to maybe 2000 RPM to warm the car up until it was ready to break the ice on my car up. I do use 20-weight.
In the Cleveland area, some days the ice is thick enough that I risk breaking my scraper and windshield scraping it off.

I'll bet a lot of this stereotype has to do with whether a woman had to pay for the car with her hard-earned wages or whether the car was given to her. I noticed when women paid for their car, they generally tend to be more careful and receptive of good car advice. Others are no better than spoiled brats. When you try to point something out to them, they take the attitude... "Don't bother me - I know what's best for my car."

My wife is a caraphobic. If it makes a funny noise ..she's threatening to trade it in on a Sequoia (spl?). She drives like she's on a mission. Always ..how can I term this
confused.gif
..hypertensive
grin.gif
. No wasted motion ..nothing leisurely about it. She doesn't know "relaxed" behind the wheel. She MUST drive when she's in the car and only yields the wheel when longer trips mandate it. I don't mind ..she occasionally screws up and it lets me tease her about it (yes, she's one of "those"
grin.gif
)

My task is to maintain the fleet in "Joyce capable" levels of performance. In balance, she does an outstanding job of doing the main bulk of the appearance care of the fleet. She easily doubles my requirements of washing, vacuuming, glass cleaning stuff.

I got lucky with my wife as far as being mechanically inclined. When I met her she was driving an old Dodge Dart that she maintained herself. Including carb rebuilds and brake jobs. It was love at first site.

But back on topic - I had a neighbor in the mid 80's with a big block suburban. Every morning I would hear him crank it. He would pump the pedal until it started and as soon as it fired he would continue to rev it for about 45 seconds. Every morning I would hear the thing race to redline from dead cold. I will never forget that sound. crank crank crank whoosh whoosh whoosh. He ended up selling it with about 150K on it to get a diesel.

Another interesting case was a bike engine that threw a rod at a cold start at idle speed. It had Pankl titanium rods, and was raced every weekend. One morning we started it and within 5 seconds of starting a cylinder dropped. no compression on number 3. We pulled it apart - #3 rod broke in the middle of the beam? That was my last experiance with titanium rods.

My wife is a 2 pedal driver. She is either on the gas, or on the brake. Doesn't understand the concept of coasting up to a traffic signal. Needless to say, I make sure the brakes on her Van are in tip top condition.

If you should see a white Grand Caravan blasting up behind you, don't worry, she'll stop in time.
shocked.gif

"It's probably a lease." I'd say Jim5 is onto some truth there.

Gotta comment on the woman driver stereotype, though. No question, to a great many women (and men) a car is an appliance, no more interesting than a dishwasher, just bigger, and the less thought it consumes the better. To them our emotional attachment to vehicles is as uncomprehensible as their lack of it is to us.

Gotta say though, it's not always the case. My wife is a very competent and aware driver, and is quite clued in to what her car is doing. She also gets the car obsession thing, she's not into it, but couldn't be more supportive.

Also, I know a lot of very experienced track driving instructors, from the Porsche, BMW, Ferrari and Alfa clubs, and others. The very best one I know is a woman.

There are so many women I know that do not understand the concept of a thermostat. Especially in the car! It's either "max on" or "off."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back