Wolf ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I picked up a couple of hundred rounds of Wolf 45 ACP ammo and am wondering if anyone has used any of this stuff. It's 230 grain FMJ made in Russia and the shells have some sort of a nonstick looking coating on them.

I've used it but not in that caliber, it is cheap ammo that burns dirty IMO. I believe that coating is a varnish, at least that is what I recall a buddy of mine telling me. I don't think that ammo was intended to be reloaded either. It's been a while since I've used it.

A little dirty is ok with me, I clean my guns well after each use. The price was good and as long as my 1911 will fire them I will be happy. If they feed in the Kahr will be a bonus.

Ive used it in a pinch. I'm not a huge fan of steel jacket ammo. It does work well though. Every Wolf 45ACP I have shot always worked.

I've shot hundreds of them in my 1911 and my AR-15 has been through several thousand of their 5.56's without a hiccup.

Originally Posted By: KW
I picked up a couple of hundred rounds of Wolf 45 ACP ammo and am wondering if anyone has used any of this stuff. It's 230 grain FMJ made in Russia and the shells have some sort of a nonstick looking coating on them.

KW,

I've shot Wolf ammo in 45acp and 9mm many times and have found it be a good cartridge to use despite the many negative opinions about it.

The casing ( steel not brass ) has the new polymer coating to help prevent it from sticking in the chamber. The older versions can give you this stituation due tothe heat build-up caused by rapid firing. Just remember not to machine gun your pistol and it won't stick.

My opinion is that it may be cheaper but it works very well and goes bang every-time I pull the trigger. Shoot it in confidence.

Durango

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If the coating is gray, it's polymer. If it's brown, it's laquer.

Yep. Some people had problems with the lacquer coated wolf rounds. If a cartridge stayed in a hot chamber for too long, the lacquer would melt and partially glue the cartridge into the chamber. The newer polymer coated wolf ammo doesn't have this problem.

I blew thru several thousand Wolf rounds in my Ruger mini-14 and Colt AR-15. No complaints other than keeping the guns clean.

A picky gun usually needs a gunsmith to blueprint it. My overly picky Saturday night special could only shoot 1 brand of ammo. After a couple days with some files and emery/sand/polishing papers, it'll shoot anything without jamming or missing. There isn't a gun out there that doesn't need a little finishing, polishing, deburring, or tweaking.

When someone complains about ammo, I'd worry more about the weapon's build quality itself.

Steel cased ammo... not for me
Ammo with some kind of coating.... not for me

I will spend 2 cents more per round and get something better.

I've been tempted to use it myself, but feel compelled to buy American ammo. I know a person that shoots the .223 w/o problems. Personally would not use it for home defense. For my defensive round, I have a 9mm with hydrashok (sp?) ammo.

Wolf ammo is made in the old Soviet ammo plants along with Brown Bear, Silver Bear, ect. The name on the box is the importers brand. Some Wolf, like the 22lr is made in Germany, and their shotshells are made in Spain. The only centerfire ammo not Russian is the 380 ACP (spain) and their Gold Line which is brass cased(Serbian)

Its good ammo for plinking and practicing, and if your gun is not picky it can be used in a pinch for hunting. I have used the 55gr hollow point ammo for some varmints with decent success. They do seem to use propellants that are dirty and there are two different lines, the military classic and the black box. The military classic is usually a little underloaded and the jacketing may be bi metal (steel and copper) instead of the jacketing you are used to which is just copper. I have also seen some military classic with the laquer coating still. Only the 223 seems to use the polymer coating in this line.

I have had more reliability out of this Russian ammo than I have with the cheap Winchester White Box line at Wal Mart. I had several boxes of WWB 9mm that had deformed or lazy rounds in them.

As for the dirty thing, you should clean your gun after every use anyways so a little more dirt wont hurt.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
My SKS has only ever shot Wolf. Never any issues.

My Romanian AK47 only likes steel amunition, if I use good american ammo it jams.

My AK47 loves the Brown Bear 7.62X39 hollow point rounds. The lacquer never seemed to be a problem so far and I've shot it until I thought the gun was going to catch on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back