WIX XP housing seeping at crimp

So I was under the hood this weekend before taking the XT out on a short jaunt through the mountains when I noticed that the crimp around the oil filter looked wet. Sure enough, wiped it off with a towel and got oil. Same thing when I checked it about half way through the trip, and again once we got home. It seems as if this WIX XP filter is seeping every so slightly at the crimp where the housing and cover plate are crimped together. I've used XP's in the past an not noticed in the past, but this does make me a bit concerned that it's doing this, I've considered pulling it off and swapping it out for another XP or possibly a Fram Ultra/Titanium.

Any others having this issue with the XP line of WIX filters in currently or in the recent past?

I've considered pulling it off and swapping it out for another XP or possibly a Fram Ultra/Titanium.

If its leaking any amount other than zero I would be doing more than considering getting it off

Things like this happen so I wouldn't change a brand I got good service out of for a long time just because of a 1 off but I would inspect closer and maybe report it in case its a bad lot

If its leaking any amount other than zero I would be doing more than considering getting it off

Things like this happen so I wouldn't change a brand I got good service out of for a long time just because of a 1 off but I would inspect closer and maybe report it in case its a bad lot

I thought about reaching out to a WIX rep to see what they say and if they want to have it brought into the store to have it sent back.

Replace the filter get on with life. Return the filter as faulty. It happens . At work one day the boss gave me 2 cases of filters and a stack of paperwork and said go change these filters and add oil the filters were $60.00 transmission spin on filters. I had a filter leak as described, again ,, it happens.

I have seen a few issues like this reported on BITOG with Wix/Napa can oil filters over the past year or so. It seems like their quality control is going down and I personally have no interest in using their spin on can oil filters.

I have seen a few issues like this reported on BITOG with Wix/Napa can oil filters over the past year or so. It seems like their quality control is going down and I personally have no interest in using their spin on can oil filters.

Wife bought me a Fram Titanium on her way home from the gym this morning! I was gonna swap to a basic Ultra, but hell, free is free right! I sent WIX a courteously email and some pictures of my findings. Perhaps one of the machines it a touch out of spec and they don't know? Hopefully it help them if there was an issue.

Yep, that’s me with the 2019 Outback that Ignatius cited.

I switched to an on-sale NAPA Platinum and the issue has not re-occurred. I’ll continue to use NAPA gold or platinum going forward.

It doesn’t seem anything like that to me. I have been using WIX oil filters for more than 20 years and never got a bad one. But if I did I would iust put on another WIX. WIX may ask you to return the filter at their expense so they can take a look. Either way they will make good on it and should compensate you with a new filter. They ought to be able to tell where the weeping is coming from. I wipe around the filter with a paper towel when I change the oil filter and they get dusty but are dry. I would also recommend to give the filter mount point on the engine a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner and a clean rag.

It doesn’t seem anything like that to me. I have been using WIX oil filters for more than 20 years and never got a bad one. But if I did I would iust put on another WIX. WIX may ask you to return the filter at their expense so they can take a look. Either way they will make good on it and should compensate you with a new filter. They ought to be able to tell where the weeping is coming from. I wipe around the filter with a paper towel when I change the oil filter and they get dusty but are dry. I would also recommend to give the filter mount point on the engine a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner and a clean rag.

This is the thing, it's not the seal or the mounting point. It's literally where the housing and cover plate are crimped together which if I had to guess, if a filter was going to fail, chances are that would be the highest point of failure. I'm assuming these are mechanically crimped without any type of sealant.

Yep, that’s me with the 2019 Outback that Ignatius cited.

I switched to an on-sale NAPA Platinum and the issue has not re-occurred. I’ll continue to use NAPA gold or platinum going forward.

I may end up switching back to Fram Ultra/Titanium filters. I've had zero issues with them across multiple platforms. I wanted to give WIX a chance simply to dodge the bypass boogieman.

Sorry but anything that is mass produced will eventually have defects.

We don't live in a perfect world not even in manufacturing of oil filters.

You want to talk about a imperfect world...

I heard of a patient getting 50 milligrams of morphine sublingual at one time... Usually it is at most 20 mg sublingual and that is when someone is on hospice type circumstance. . .

Lucky they did not take that person right out of here... Crazy. 50 mgs....

I once had a tube of toothpaste squirt toothpaste out the bottom seam. Did I switch brands of toothpaste because of it? No. Why don’t you show the photos of the oil filter here, since you mentioned you have photos? I am sure some of us would be interested in seeing it.

You want to talk about a imperfect world...

I heard of a patient getting 50 milligrams of morphine sublingual at one time... Usually it is at most 20 mg sublingual and that is when someone is on hospice type circumstance. . .

Lucky they did not take that person right out of here... Crazy. 50 mgs....

Yeah that's one reason I try to live on the straight and narrow path of life and stay healthy ;)

Of all the reports of oil filter leaky base crimps, it seems WIX filters are the ones mostly reported. Post #8 pointed out some of them.

Yeah that's one reason I try to live on the straight and narrow path of life and stay healthy ;)

I know this patient was older... And had a orthopedic surgery... That happens. A lot.

But 50 mgs of morphine given... People not getting the right concentration of medication was a big issue in that circumstance. It should have been 5 mgs of morphine. Given every 8 hours.

Back