wix oil filter gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I changed the oil today in our van the old filter gasket had come off my wix filter, I've had this happen with Wix and supertech, I've made sure to use the correct tightening procedure per the oil filter installation instructions (3/4 turn after contact) does this happen to anyone else of a regular basis? I can only imagine if I had left that old gasket on there and slapped on the new filter. The old filter was only on 2 months.

I work at a dealership and a Sears before that I have seen that with just about every type of filter I have ever seen. That is why the tell you to check the mount so you do not double gasket a filter.

NO BIGGIE at all just remove and install new filter and be happy you cought it!

It doesn't matter how much oil you put on the gasket.....from 100's of heating & cooling cycles, the gasket sometimes sticks.

Sometimes it just gets that "occlusive seal"(did I get that right
confused.gif
) ..just like Denturgrip®
grin.gif

I've never had a oil filter gasket stick to the mounting plate. Of course I ALWAYS check the mounting plate because I clean it before I mount the new oil filter. I lubricate the new gasket with synthetic oil. In the past I've had many a NEW gasket fall off a Fram oil filter right from the box
rolleyes.gif
. I gave up using Fram's around 7 years ago.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back