WIX, NAPA GOLD or SUPERTECH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I will never use a purolator since my friend last year bought a purolator that said on the filter "made in honduras". That tells me "DONT USE ME". I would rather use a FRAM or pep boys filter. I am gonna use a SUPER TECH 7317 next oil change with SUPER TECH 5W20 CONVENTIONAL OIL! To me purolator these days and in my 32 yrs of life didnt and hasnt stood for much; WIX on the other hand has as my father, grandfather and a lot of my uncles have used WIX without incident on cars, tractors, trucks, hydraulics. Dont think PUROLATOR can say that.

Purolator invented of the oil filter in 1923.

When did WIX make their first filter. Yeah I looked up a lot about purolator and their slogan "pure oil now, pure oil later". Why does purolator still use oval holes for oil to flow into and most every other filter maker uses big or small circular holes?

When did WIX make their first filter. Yeah I looked up a lot about purolator and their slogan "pure oil now, pure oil later". Why does purolator still use oval holes for oil to flow into and most every other filter maker uses big or small circular holes?
Does it matter?

I've used both Wix and NG without any issues, but it's all pretty much anecdotal. ST's are probably fine but for whatever reason I won't use them. I just don't buy too many products that are store brand and it's not just filters.

I've heard good things about Bosch D+ and M1 as well, but for now I feel good about using Wix or P1. TBH, for most of us average drivers using the currently available name brand filters and oil, it seems it's all about what makes you feel good anyway.

No, it doesnt matter STEVE S, I was just little curious is all as I like history on stuff. Yeah, I havent had any issues with a wix at all. Yeah, something makes me little leary bout wal mart even havin a filter made for them.

A Wix and Napa Gold are the same filter. And should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Super Tech. Run the Wix/NG without worry and save the ST filters for somebody else.

WHat i would do is buy the Wix, Napa Gold, and ST for my particular engine and cut them open. I take care of 9 different vehicles and was surprised to see how the same filter brand would differ between different models. I was a wix fan until I cut one particular one open (Acura GSR VTec) and was suprised how small the inside filtering material was compared to the size of the metal can part. I felt deceived. Now, would it make any difference to my engine? Who knows? Probably not. I have found that whenever I compare any filter to one made in Japan, the Japanese made filter visually (when cut open) appears far superior to me. An let me add, I have probably cut open 20+ filters in the last 2 years. Would this be a fetish?

Hello Gebo, and the only thing that is bugging me is the little slits in the steel center core. Other night, I helped a buddy cut open a used ST 7317, with dremel tool. Filter was a ST 7317, with Super Tech 5w30 dino. Filter didnt look bad at all. Oil and filter was on for 6800 miles. Hopefully my friend does a UOA like he's talking bout doing. I dont have my digital camera at my place at the present or I will/would go take pics of the filter.

A few of the Wix/NG have a pretty short filter element in the can.
In my OEM size application, (Wix 51348, Puro L10241) it is not...it is only slightly shorter than Purolator, for example, because of the thread-end bypass valve uses up a little more room, But the Wix/NG pleats are deeper and it has more squre inches of media than the Purolator.

So you raise a good point. Have a good look at your own application.

Quote:
Hello Gebo, and the only thing that is bugging me is the little slits in the steel center core. Other night, I helped a buddy cut open a used ST 7317, with dremel tool. Filter was a ST 7317, with Super Tech 5w30 dino.....I dont have my digital camera at my place at the present or I will/would go take pics of the filter.
All the pics you want (with media area specs) of a new ST 7317 are in the recent thread posted here. While a uoa would tell your friend something about the oil, not sure it would say much about the ST filter. The ST7317 filter in the linked thread looks to have plenty enough slit openings, but based on Champs response to an email here, I would choose to wait until a new supply of ST filters made after 1/7/11 hit the shelves. That's the date the centertube stamping machine was retooled/repaired.

In any case, I still wouldn't the ST in the same class as Wix/NG.

Well, I was at the wally world as got out of work after 11 1/2 hrs of plowing and salting. The filters made after 1/7/11, still have the slits in them. I do have two ST 7317's so probably use one of them and then cut it open. Why cant all filter manufacturers just put D*** holes in the steel center section?! Is this so hard? Yeah, SAYJAC; I dont think I will use ST filters for the life of my civic also and they definitely arent in the same class as a wix/ng. I looked at that posting also so THANK YOU SAYJAC.

ADAM

ST is still going to have the slits, but now all the slits that are supposed to be open, are. In other words, Champs says they are now as spec'd. Champ also said even the ones sent in and tested that weren't perfect, were not far enough out of spec to cause an issue. Your call.

Why cant all filter manufacturers just put D*** holes in the steel center section?! Is this so hard?

Many do ... you're just not using those brands apparently.
lol.gif

Thanks for the smart a** reply Zee0Six. Maybe I will use ST filters for now on, dont know yet. I agree sayjac, as at my workplace we use a lot of the less than 3" filters with the slits and no problems yet. I do believe upon reading up on it; that champion labs DOES MAKE A QUALITY FILTER.

thanks for the info sayjac and Zee0Six

Thanks for the smart a** reply Zee0Six.

thanks for the info sayjac and Zee0Six

No harm meant ... but just go spend a couple bucks more and get a PureOne or even a Classic (or similar filters) and you'll get everything ya need.
wink.gif

I will never use a purolator since my friend last year bought a purolator that said on the filter "made in honduras". That tells me "DONT USE ME". I would rather use a FRAM or pep boys filter. I am gonna use a SUPER TECH 7317 next oil change with SUPER TECH 5W20 CONVENTIONAL OIL! To me purolator these days and in my 32 yrs of life didnt and hasnt stood for much; WIX on the other hand has as my father, grandfather and a lot of my uncles have used WIX without incident on cars, tractors, trucks, hydraulics. Dont think PUROLATOR can say that.

ST7317 is a filter I would use. I wouldn't touch an ecore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back