Wix Hydraulic Filters made in China - Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cronk
Also the GM filters and the AC Delco filters are likely not the same part. Its been a while but the last GM spin on trans filter I sold was red, the Delco's are blue and if you put them side by side they are not the same.

Could very well be. The spin-on Saturn S-series are just like that, the OEM Saturn brand is a red Filtech (aka Toyo Roki USA) filter where ACD is a different blue one. The ACD in that case like many aftermarkets for that car was prone to gasket leakage more than OEM.

Fram actually seemed like an OK aftermarket for that application but a lot of their slower selling filters seem to come from other suppliers as well so quality may vary between P/Ns.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Any chance these are FAKE WIX filters? This has happened with many other products. Cheap filter put in a WIX look alike carton?

That`s a real good question,and is probable.

I would like to know the answer to this. As it will determine if I ever buy another Wix product again. If they indeed are legitimate Wix filters that are being sourced from China, Wix will be crossed off my "approved" list of companies.

I no longer buy Phram, it has nothing to do with the controversay you read here, it has to do with a lot of their products stamped "Made in China"

If they are counterfit, then Wix deserves to know about it so they can put an end to the scrupulous middle men peddling the products.

I have a Wix fuel filter for a Nissan Quest sourced via RockAuto that is made in China. I put in the OEM Purolator-made Motorcraft filter instead, the Nissan one is the same sans Ford markings.

I have other Wix filters here for my CTS and for some ATV's and they are not made in China. From my understanding of the laws that if a product is made outside of the USA and imported here it must bear the country of origin. Products made in the USA do not need to say they are made in the USA, its assumed.

Again, its not a counterfeit part, that I am 100% sure because they came from sources their parts right thru Wix, not a discount chain store or other discount dealer. If it were counterfeit then its coming thru Wix channels.

I wish had more pics of them but I had the chance to return them and did.

I wouldn't be to sure that they're actually Wix filters. I've heard stories about Chinese manufacturers making bogus Mann filters, and selling them on the open market. People have had problems with these as well.

Bottom line is how well you trust your distributor to get their parts directly from Wix. Why not save a few bucks and get what they think is actual Wix filters for a better price.

I'm a skeptic, as I've seen bogus Chinese parts get procured from reputable companies before. It's a free market.

Quote:
Bottom line is how well you trust your distributor to get their parts directly from Wix. Why not save a few bucks and get what they think is actual Wix filters for a better price.

Impeccably. They are a Wix authorized reseller and all the Wix filters come from authorized Wix distribution.

Why would someone counterfeit a brand name filter and also Place the Made in China script. Seems to me if they wanted to fool, the would leave it off the part?

Btw-I have since acquired a Donaldson and I swear its the very same filter as the Wix, also made in China.

We moved the BT8460 production to our 100% owned manufacturing facility in China. This allowed us more capacity in the US for other products. The BT8460 made in China is exactly the same as the previous products we produced here int he US.

Thanks,
Jason

Originally Posted By: JPayne6128
We moved the BT8460 production to our 100% owned manufacturing facility in China. The BT8460 made in China is exactly the same as the previous products we produced here int he US.

I hate to by cynical here, but Swingster textile, formerly in Fairbury and Petersen/Irwin Vise Grip company, formerly of DeWitt had similar statesments. We know where they are being manufactured now, don't we?

Quote:
The BT8460 made in China is exactly the same as the previous products we produced here in the US.

How are you doing with quality control? Historically, Chi-Comm production = junk.
frown.gif

I hear 100% of what your are saying, there are 99 cases of product moved to China turning into junk for every 1 case of the product staying the same. 10 years ago, 100% of stuff coming from China was junk, but it has steadily improved. An example would be Cat. Their factories in China have the same quality as their US factories. It is a challenge for sure with the differences in our culters, but it can and is being done. Most people think that it is just for cheep labor, and while that is true, that part of the world has many more opportunities for lowering your raw materials cost than we do here, coupled with the fact that the majority of demand for heavy duty construction equipment is outside of the US now. The same heavy duty equipment that our filters fit.

Last edited:
Well I got one Donalson and it was made in China. Friend says, tell them to shove it. So, a AC Delco retailer I know very well called around to some of his contacts and found me a deal on a case of Allison branded (color-red) filters made in USA. I got them this week and they are the real deal. Price was reasonable at the case lot. Did not even have to pay S&H because this jobber delivers to our ware weekly. They are a big GM warehouse parts jobber. Friend gets GM engines and trans from them as they are less the what a dealer pays but no sale to the public.

We moved the BT8460 production to our 100% owned manufacturing facility in China. This allowed us more capacity in the US for other products. The BT8460 made in China is exactly the same as the previous products we produced here int he US.

Thanks,
Jason

This allowed for more capacity to build other products?
With so many Americans out of work, wouldnt it be better to EXPAND your facilities and produce MORE filters HERE rather than flake out to the chinese??

Regardless, i did a bit of research and talked over this with a local Baldwin distributor.
Seems that the fuel filters for these same trucks (Chevy/GMC duramax deisels) are also............made in china.
Baldwin # BF7827.

And chinese doesnt always mean cheap or inexpensive.
My distributor told me of a situation with one of his customers (a localy owned quick lube).
He was selling them oil filters for Ford's 6.0 powerstroke.
Baldwins price was over $20 list for this element.
(also made in china)
His customer stopped buying them from him, and he asked why.
Customer told him he could buy a Pennzoil version for $5.
Yea.........$5.

Best part? MADE IN THE U.S.A.!!!

Comments?? ;-)

Last edited:
We moved the BT8460 production to our 100% owned manufacturing facility in China. Thanks,
Jason

impossible. ALL outside companies wishing to do business in China are required to form a partnership w/ a state-owned company.
you buy chinese products, you are directly supporting chinese gov't.

Last edited:
Thank You for the clarification. Yes, I meant 100% paid for and operated.

Jason

Getting back to the Vise-Grip thoughts, and the present quality of their locking pliers, or lack thereof.....

Out of curiosity, how many people do you send over from your Nebraska facilities to do quality control? Or is that a proprietary question?

I guess I'm not the normal American purchaser, but I do look at the "country of origin" on the products I purchase and my tractors probably won't be wearing a Chinese made Baldwin filter.
I'll be telling your distributor that also.

China is capable of making fine products, when the company is honest. That isn't the question to me, it is that when the work is sent to China they don't pay into the social security/medicare/tax system, more workers are unemployed, and to boot they buy US Treasuries and we owe them. Everyone knows this, but aren't taking it seriously. The Chinese surely are laughing how we can be so foolish.

Stores do have a choice what they sell, and we what we buy. I went to replace a toilet supply valve. Orchard Supply (here in CA) and Lowes had China and Taiwan made. Home Depot had Brasscraft made in USA. The Brasscraft was cheaper too. It took extra effort on my part, but that is what people need to do. It is really a serious matter.

I am guilty of buying non N. American oil products, but no more. If Baldwin is making in China, show them with the money spent elsewhere.

Our full quality team to include Upper and middle management makes regular trips to our China facility, the same as they do to our other US facilities.

The decsision to move filter production off-shore is always on a part number by part number basis. The fact of the matter is, the rest of the world is a much bigger consumer than in the past. If you research most international companies you will find that their mix of sales domestic vs. international is steadily shifting to international. When this happens, freight, and raw materials sourcing becomes a huge concern. There are not many countries in the world that hold a labor cost advantage over us, but a shipping container is a huge added expense.

With that said, I try to buy US made as much as possible(only buy domestic brand automobiles), unless it is significantly more expensive or lower quality, and yes, I have had bad experiences with products from other companies when there production is moved off shore, but the gap is closing rapidly.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
The only thing I can say about employment of Americans, is Baldwin Filters has not had any significant lay-offs during this recession. Please Google Donaldson, Fleetguard, Fram, and or Wix to see how they are doing.

When it comes to pricing, which is one of my jobs, setting a price that is competitive in the market as a whole is very difficult. We often times have people call us with extremely low prices on competitive numbers, and when we investigate, 99% of the time they are from special sales or rebates and cannot be repeated. The other 1% of the time, we actually adjust our prices to remain competitive. My initial guess would be that while your filter example is US made, it is being sold at a loss for a special reason.

Thanks,
Jason

Quote:
If you research most international companies you will find that their mix of sales domestic vs. international is steadily shifting to international. When this happens, freight, and raw materials sourcing becomes a huge concern. There are not many countries in the world that hold a labor cost advantage over us, but a shipping container is a huge added expense.

Well, all expanding markets tend to have radically lower costs of living and costs of doing business. Among western and para-western industrialized nations, there is virtually no cost difference between them. Japan matured into a parity status with the US ..their products no longer had an advantage ..to profit, they had to outsource to places with expanding economies due to the differential of economic pressure that they could receive revenue ..while Japan had reached equilibrium with their #1 customer of merit. You can't have flow without a differential.

Quote:

With that said, I try to buy US made as much as possible(only buy domestic brand automobiles), unless it is significantly more expensive or lower quality, and yes, I have had bad experiences with products from other companies when there production is moved off shore, but the gap is closing rapidly.

I tend to see more "meeting in the middle" in terms of quality. There are two ways it can go. Foreign interest sweeps the legs out of domestic with identical quality for radically lower price ...OR ..offers 2/3 the quality level for 1/4 the price. Eventually, due to everyone eventually only being able to afford the 2/3 quality product, there are no higher quality products available at any price. Icons of quality are forced to degrade their standards or go out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back