Wix Hydraulic Filters made in China - Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greaser
How about FleetFilter.com?

The only sell NAPA right? NAPA are rebranded Wix.

Easier to return items if purchased locally though, shipping things back it a pita and costly.

The only other brand that we can buy locally is AC Delco, all the other stores WIX (rebranded to Carquest). There is industrial dealer in next town who handles Donaldson and is going to get me one to see if it comes from China. Might be a week or before I get over there.

Another thing I found yesterday.
From GM dealer filter 29539579 lists for $44.20 and that is what they sell them for at the 2 local dealers I called.
At the AC Delco dealer the same part is only $27.15 but he does not carry it. Can get in 1 day though for same price.

How about Baldwin from Grainger?

The threads look rolled with the ridge on the crown, but the side dent in them is hard to figure. The Chinese products are mainly dishonest products.

As consumers all we can do is try to find non Chinese goods even if it means paying more. Walmart is not the culprit either. I see lots of Chinese made furniture at Costco. Awhile back I bought a recliner, and saw made in China, should have known better to take it home. Not only cleverly poorly made, but had a chemical smell in the fabric that was like a paint factory. Took it back and got a Lazboy made in USA for $100 more that is worlds better, no comparison, with no clever cheating hidden inside. Honest product with honest quality for money spent. So why is Coscto even selling that junk I ask?

Thanks for the suggestions on different brands but many of them are not available around here and having them shipped it not what I want to do. If they turn out to be from China, then I may have a hard time returning them.

The only brands I can find locally are;

Wix
CarQuest (Wix)
Napa (Wix)
AC Delco
GM

No other brands are available except for oil filters & air filters from discount stores/qick lubes but they don't carry any hydraulic. If the Donaldson turns out to be Made in China they the only filter I will use is the AC Delco.

Products from China doesn't scare me as much as food from China. Got some store brand apple juice a few weeks ago and didn't notice until I got home that it said "Concentrate from China".

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Any chance these are FAKE WIX filters? This has happened with many other products. Cheap filter put in a WIX look alike carton?

That`s a real good question,and is probable.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Thanks for the suggestions on different brands but many of them are not available around here and having them shipped it not what I want to do. If they turn out to be from China, then I may have a hard time returning them.

The only brands I can find locally are;

Wix
CarQuest (Wix)
Napa (Wix)
AC Delco (Some are Wix)
GM (Some are Wix)

No other brands are available except for oil filters & air filters from discount stores/qick lubes but they don't carry any hydraulic. If the Donaldson turns out to be Made in China they the only filter I will use is the AC Delco.

From what I understand FleetFilter gets all their Napa Gold filters from the North Carolina Wix plant.If there is any question to a filter purchase origin I'm pretty sure the folks at FleetFilter would tell the truth before you order from them.They have been great to deal with thus far.

Any chance these are FAKE WIX filters? This has happened with many other products. Cheap filter put in a WIX look alike carton?

Doubt it,they came from a legitimate Wix jobber. They had the Wix name, part number, and other stuff stenciled on in blue and were in shrink warp. They had lots numbers stamped on the closed ends.

I have other Wix filters in stock and will continue to use them. I looked at some and none come from China, they are all painted black in a yellow box. Some come from Poland though, those are cartridge type for the 3.6L GM Cadillac/Buick 3.6L engines. Even the GM ones for that engine are not made in USA but not in Poland either so don't appear Wix, do not even look alike in media.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If the Donaldson is a remarked made in China, I wouldn't touch it, probably the same as the WIX as you've surmised.

A freind of mine has one of these trucks and told me that both the Donaldson AND the Baldwin (BT8460) elements were Chinese made.
On Donaldson's website they state the country of origin as CN (china).
But on Baldwins website they have a pic of their filter that clearly has printed "MFG in USA" on it.
Maybe Baldwin switched back to USA made???
(or it's just an old photo??)

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=419139

Last edited:
Also the GM filters and the AC Delco filters are likely not the same part. Its been a while but the last GM spin on trans filter I sold was red, the Delco's are blue and if you put them side by side they are not the same.

BT8460.jpg

Baldwin lists their Chinese plant.

Wix has plants in

Mexico
Ukraine
Venezuela
Brazil
Poland
Canada (which I thought was done? Maybe just for oil filters)

I'm VERY surprised you don't have a dealer that sells Fleetguard, nobody around you sells or services transport trucks? That's where I buy my Donaldson and Fleetguard stuff from.

No, this a small town area. The closest industrial parts supplier and service dealers over 100 miles away. Closest Allison truck service center is more like 150 miles. This is not some big metro area.

Quote:
Also the GM filters and the AC Delco filters are likely not the same part. Its been a while but the last GM spin on trans filter I sold was red, the Delco's are blue and if you put them side by side they are not the same.

The one we picked up at the local GM dealer was blue in color. The AC Delco dealer did not have one in stock but said he could have it by the next day.

Btw - These filters boldly said right on the filter itself, "Made in China".

I just looked up a bunch of those numbers on the Donaldson site and they are all made in USA.

I have the P551753 in stock. If I remember I'll take a look at it on Monday.
Here is one of those filters listed above
p550754-288-140.jpg

another of those filters listed above

p550756-288-140.jpg

This one has a sticker instead of painting, but it is also made in USA
p550591-288-140.jpg

Originally Posted By: OAS
If the Donaldson is a remarked made in China, I wouldn't touch it, probably the same as the WIX as you've surmised.

A freind of mine has one of these trucks and told me that both the Donaldson AND the Baldwin (BT8460) elements were Chinese made.
But on Baldwins website they have a pic of their filter that clearly has printed "MFG in USA" on it.

I click that link to Donaldson and it says country of origen US

Originally Posted By: widman
Originally Posted By: OAS

I click that link to Donaldson and it says country of origen US

When I click it I get:

Transmission Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 3.07
B - ID (Inches): 3/4-20 THREAD
C - Length (Inches): 3.00
D (Inches): 2.75 GASKET OD
Product Type Description: TRANSMISSION SPIN-ON
Primary Application: GM 29537628, 29539579
Product Group: F

Packaged Dimensions
Country of Origin CN (China)
Gross Height in Inches 3
Gross Length in Inches 2.9
Gross Weight in Pounds 0.7
Pieces Per Pallet 1320
Gross Width in Inches 2.9

Originally Posted By: lexus114

That`s a real good question,and is probable.

I would like to know the answer to this. As it will determine if I ever buy another Wix product again. If they indeed are legitimate Wix filters that are being sourced from China, Wix will be crossed off my "approved" list of companies.

I no longer buy Phram, it has nothing to do with the controversay you read here, it has to do with a lot of their products stamped "Made in China"

If they are counterfit, then Wix deserves to know about it so they can put an end to the scrupulous middle men peddling the products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back