Defective Wix filter

Was changing oil is our son's Moomba ski boat, Indmar GM engine, Wix 51069 oil filter.. Could not get the old filter off to save our lives. Tried eveything in the book and finally after shredding the canister we were able to get a hold of the very top of the filter right near the upper plate and get it off. Not a clue why it would not come off, never had this happen before. When we got it off I noticed that the threaded hole is way off center, not sure this was the problem but I will pay more attention in the future by examine all brands of oil filters before instilling.

Attachments

• Wix filter.jpg
    Wix filter.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 180
I don't think the hole is off center, it just looks like the media cartridge top cap is pushed off center since the filter is mangled. The media has to be smaller than the outside of the can otherwise oil would have no way to get into the pleats, without the ADBV and spring to keep it center the media cartridge can float where ever.

Isn't that fun? I did the exact same thing to some cheap filter that came on my 05 F-150. Used everything I had, massive pliers and it finally moved.. The filter body sheared off at the base...

I had to sit there with a big long screw driver I blunted the tip of with a grinder. Used it like a chisel with a hammer for over 10 mins, using the holes to gain purchase. It took over ten mins and a serious amount of force to finally break it loose. It must have been put on five years ago by someone who absolutely tightened it a hard as they possibly could with a filter wrench.

Been there once. Huge Channellocks and the favorable location saved the day.
Could factory delivered filters have some "one way" cut to the threads...if only to deter vandalism pre-delivery?
It's so often the original filter.

In the OP's case 'off centerness' couldn't deliver locking action as it'd bend away first. I bet waterproofing sealer was used.

The filter is "mangled" but yet defective....yea....OK. This is right up there with "crooked pleats".

Need a photo of the base plate on the side with the oil inlet holes to see if the threaded center hole is off center or not.

Back