Wix 57674 observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in our Sonic yesterday and noticed the Wix 57674 spec'd for the car doesn't have the same "felt" seal/gasket at the base that the AC/Delco it replaced had.

Generally have a very high opinion of Wix filters. Not sure how I feel about that. This is the first car we've owned that takes cartridge filters. Great idea.

Its likely that some change had to be made for an aftermarket patent. I did a filter on a Power-Stroke that had some nifty adapter washer the original did not use... No need to avoid WIX as they are a good filter.

I think whether it has a felt like end cap or uses the same nylon composite type material all the way is irrelevant to it's function. Hyundai/Kia oem cartridge made by Mahle uses a felt like end cap material whereas the Napa Gold(Wix) uses a nylon composite material. I've used both and the NG functions every bit as well as the oem, only I'm able to obtain the former for half the cost of the oem on sale. I've found NG/Wix cartridges to be very high quality.

Searching google, it does appear that for awhile the Wix cartridge was just a Hengst oem in a Wix/NG box but has now been brought in house.

All that said, if your preference is for felt like material around the centertube opening, next time buy the oem.

I wouldn't let the absence of the felt scare you. Look at the ID of the filter, and you will likely notice a rubber ID washer/ring on both ends. I've noticed this on my KIA, as the OEM filter has the felt on the ends, but every good aftermarket filter I've used does not. However, they DO have those rubber washers pressed into both sides of the filter, so instead of the filter sealing on the end caps, it seals as it's pressed into where it sits. Make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back