Wix 51516 cut open - What am I looking at?

Long time BITOG browser, but finally had a reason to make an account to share my own findings. I've been using this as an oversized filter on my Fiesta ST for a while, but this one is very clearly different from what I usually find. The endcap gave it away immediately (7 smaller holes vs normally 6 large ones), then louvers inside, and most importantly no thread-end bypass. Decided to open it up rather than use it, and further found a leaf spring, cheaper looking media with no metal crimp, and a flimsy ADBV with no ribs. Almost looks like a Purolator?

Ordered another one to see if it's consistent. By the date I'm wondering if it was due to some sort of supply chain issue from last year. Seems like I might be going back to FL-400S's...

231420303_569806260881101_2949192944218944960_n.jpg
236376647_879865299403949_2484841790040667220_n.jpg
227147503_910336359558688_2442121737332630226_n.jpg
238595107_421556905911068_8751789570240830502_n.jpg
219937988_586643092339504_8240762149342826101_n.jpg

Last edited:
not what it used to be but still looks like a decent filter. while the metal crimp is nice, as lonf as. the crimp is glues with ehough glue it will hold fine. I dont recall seeing any c&ps with the inclamped seam was open on its own. the forces in the filter dont tend to do that over a normal oci.

Long time BITOG browser, but finally had a reason to make an account to share my own findings. I've been using this as an oversized filter on my Fiesta ST for a while, but this one is very clearly different from what I usually find. The endcap gave it away immediately (7 smaller holes vs normally 6 large ones), then louvers inside, and most importantly no thread-end bypass. Decided to open it up rather than use it, and further found a leaf spring, cheaper looking media with no metal crimp, and a flimsy ADBV with no ribs. Almost looks like a Purolator?

Ordered another one to see if it's consistent. By the date I'm wondering if it was due to some sort of supply chain issue from last year. Seems like I might be going back to FL-400S's...
Because Mann+Hummel now own both Purolator and WIX ... so yeah, it's turning into a "PuroWIX".

Product brands

The strong brands of the MANN+HUMMEL company including MANN-FILTER, WIX Filters, FILTRON, PUROLATOR and MICRODYN-NADIR reflect the wide range of our company and enable us to meet the individual requirements and needs of our customers.

Because Mann+Hummel now own both Purolator and WIX ... so yeah, it's turning into a "PuroWIX".

Product brands

The strong brands of the MANN+HUMMEL company including MANN-FILTER, WIX Filters, FILTRON, PUROLATOR and MICRODYN-NADIR reflect the wide range of our company and enable us to meet the individual requirements and needs of our customers.

Right, I had seen the most recent XP's appear to share a lot of components with the Boss. However, the 51626's that I use on my DSM are still constructed like a normal Wix (including the thread-end bypass this model has), even the most recent ones I bought with date codes from only a few months ago.

Right, I had seen the most recent XP's appear to share a lot of components with the Boss. However, the 51626's that I use on my DSM are still constructed like a normal Wix (including the thread-end bypass this model has), even the most recent ones I bought with date codes from only a few months ago.
Give it more time ... :confused:

Is that the same size/dimension of a Fram PH8A or 3600? The innards look typical for this particular size range of filters IMO.

I'm assuming it took a decent amount of force to tear that hole in the media?

Nothing wrong with these filters, but what you saw is why I don't spend the ~$9 on a Napa gold / Wix anymore. My napper never has a real sale on them.

Is that the same size/dimension of a Fram PH8A or 3600? The innards look typical for this particular size range of filters IMO.

I'm assuming it took a decent amount of force to tear that hole in the media?

Nothing wrong with these filters, but what you saw is why I don't spend the ~$9 on a Napa gold / Wix anymore. My napper never has a real sale on them.

Yeah both of those are in the cross reference list. It took about the normal amount of force I'd expect EC media to take before tearing.

It really is a shame that all these established brands are going down the toilet, but that's the nature of bean counters.

Reactions: JTK
Just go back to the Fl400s. $3.97 at Walmart, made in USA. Why pay more? It’s what I run on my FoST. The Fl400s is made by purolator but doesn’t cost twice as much as the wix-olator.

View attachment 67087View attachment 67088View attachment 67089View attachment 67090View attachment 67091
I’d just use the xg3600 or any of the Fram 3600. Same specs lower price

Back