Purolator and Advance Total Grip cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patients;

Purolator Premium Plus L14610
Advance Auto Total Grip AA7317

These are the filters spec'd for my wife's 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. Here are some notes I took;

Purolator Premium Plus $3.98
Advance Total Grip $2.48

Both filters have 52 pleats which are very evenly spaced and quite firm in their arrangement. By that I mean they are not easily moved. The pleats are 3/8" deep and 2 3/4" wide. The filter element itself is 2 3/4" tall when stood on one of its metal endcaps
smile.gif
and has a circumference of 7 inches. The element seems to be very well constructed with no looseness or flimsy feel at all. Also absent is any string wrapped around the element.

There is a rubber (nitrile?) ADBV which is seated very well and snug against both the metal endcap and the inside of the case. The rubber did feel a little thin but since these are the first filters I've cut open I have nothing to compare them to.

The pressure relief is via a sort of standard, leaf spring like gadget which is located at the closed end of the filter.

These filters have identical threaded baseplates. Both have 8 circular holes spaced evenly in a circular pattern. The inside of the threaded baseplates (under where the ADBV is positioned) reveals identical markings again. Both baseplates are stamped with "20MM-S" and "U".

Other than the obvious differences in the case coloring and texture (smooth on the Purolator and gritty on the Total Grip) I could not find even the smallest difference between these two filters. Everything about them is identical. Oh yea, both are marked "Made in the USA".

This obviously can't tell us much, if anything about how well they filter or flow rates but solely based on construction I would have no hesitation using either one. While I'm at it I may as well save the $1.50 and buy the AA Total Grip. Heck, that'll pay for one qt. of Havoline or Motorcraft 5w-20
grin.gif

I lied....sort of. There was one very minor difference I noticed and managed to capture in a pic. On the AA Total Grip there was some black glue residue that had extended ever so slightly onto the pleats at one end of the element. The same black glue is used on both filters to fasten the element to the metal endcaps. Only the Total Grip had some of that glue out on the pleats and only a very small amount. THe pic will show it very well. I seriously doubt it was a result of it not being a branded Purolator but rather one of the X number of filters where the glue has run ever so slightly. I guess it is possible that elements which fail a Purolator quality inspection are then assembled as Total Grip filters. Who knows
cheers.gif

Here is one pic and a link to the remainder.
puro_tg_pathfinder5.JPG

To the rest of the pics
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=832234

EDIT: Darn darn darn darn darn! I can never seem to get pic inserts right
dunno.gif

[ August 15, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: mikep ]

Gee, I know which one I'd buy. The Advanced Auto filter looks like a killer bargain!
smile.gif

Very nice writeup, thanks! I'm going to look into getting some of those for my cars. I really like the tacky grip stuff (sorta like they use on the orange can of doom, right?), but I've never found it on a filter I like - until now.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share that with us! I definitely appreciate it.
smile.gif

[ August 15, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: AstroVic ]

Thanks. I like to get filters from Advance when I recycle my oil. I was wondering if those filters were the same. Much appreciated info!
smile.gif

No savings here. Purolators are regularly $2.50-$3 where I shop. I even picked up some for $2.50 each at Sears. I know the Premium plus' filtering, I don't know this off brand.
dunno.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
No savings here. Purolators are regularly $2.50-$3 where I shop. I even picked up some for $2.50 each at Sears. I know the Premium plus' filtering, I don't know this off brand.
dunno.gif

-T

Agreed...the Purolator filters can usually be found at a discount if one looks around. Pep Boys routinely has the Puro at two for 5 bucks in their Sunday newspaper pullout. Since I was comparing two filters available at Advance Auto I used their regular price for both.

As for the filtering....I think it's pretty safe to say they should perform the same. Like I said, aside from the coloring and texture of the case, there is absolutely no difference.

As the next two or three oil changes come due on the wife's Pathfinder, I'll pick up a different brand filter and get an extra to cut open and add the pics and stats to the Puro Premium and AA Total Grip. I'll include a Hastings, Carquest and maybe a Pure One or Supertech. If anyone out there with a Maxima or Pathfinder has a specific brand they want to compare against the Puro and AA TG let me know and I'll try to include it.

Mike, you say they are the same by looking at them, but I also heard for years that the Motorcraft and the Pure One were exactly the same, but Grease's study showed they were almost complete opposites. If I saw it tested like this then I would trust it more.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Mike, you say they are the same by looking at them, but I also heard for years that the Motorcraft and the Pure One were exactly the same, but Grease's study showed they were almost complete opposites. If I saw it tested like this then I would trust it more.

-T

Understood and agreed. We can't be 100% sure the media is the same.

Of course, with any filter, probably more so with an off brand like a chain brand, the probability of changing manufacturers and specs is greater in the future and unless you keep on cutting them open a change in construction will never be known. That TG filter now is great, in six months it could be made in the same plant and specs as a Fram!

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Of course, with any filter, probably more so with an off brand like a chain brand, the probability of changing manufacturers and specs is greater in the future and unless you keep on cutting them open a change in construction will never be known. That TG filter now is great, in six months it could be made in the same plant and specs as a Fram!

Very true. Any such change though should be easy to spot simply by the baseplate (especially where the orange devil is concerned).

I too have used the TotalGrip filter.I cut it open after use and it was in VERY good shape.I use the 3387A filter on my Buick.
I dont know,but I think that the TG's are the same filter as the Purolator PP.Considering the price and that Advance stocks mostly Purolator,it only makes sense that the TG's are regular Purolators.
I think that Advance and Purolator are using the TG's as a way to tap into the STP,Supertech arena.I also think that the TG's are a GOOD quality filter at a qite resonable price.

I too have used the TotalGrip filter.I cut it open after use and it was in VERY good shape.I use the 3387A filter on my Buick.
I dont know,but I think that the TG's are the same filter as the Purolator PP.Considering the price and that Advance stocks mostly Purolator,it only makes sense that the TG's are regular Purolators.
I think that Advance and Purolator are using the TG's as a way to tap into the STP,Supertech arena.I also think that the TG's are a GOOD quality filter at a qite resonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back