STP S8316 Oil Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I already know for sure the FL-400S will completely stop the rattle, so if the FL-400S doesn't take care of my start up problems (again) I will know for sure that it's the oil.

My Jeep was neglected by the PO I am pretty sure the oil galleys or the pick up is not very clear which is why I have all these issues. My other two Jeeps were not this way at all. But this one is fanatically picky at start up AND it hasn't done well on thicker oil in the past either, whereas the others wouldn't have cared a bit. I thought I could get away with 10w40 in the summer especially since I dumped a quart of 5w20 in it but it's giving me problems. Problems I hope the FL-400S will rescue me from once again.

If I tried the STP now, I still wouldn't know if it was the oil or the filter if I had any problems. The bypass setting on these double ADBV filters is higher, so I wonder if that is part of it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Because I already know for sure the FL-400S will completely stop the rattle, so if the FL-400S doesn't take care of my start up problems (again) I will know for sure that it's the oil.

My Jeep was neglected by the PO I am pretty sure the oil galleys or the pick up is not very clear which is why I have all these issues. My other two Jeeps were not this way at all. But this one is fanatically picky at start up AND it hasn't done well on thicker oil in the past either, whereas the others wouldn't have cared a bit. I thought I could get away with 10w40 in the summer especially since I dumped a quart of 5w20 in it but it's giving me problems. Problems I hope the FL-400S will rescue me from once again.

If I tried the STP now, I still wouldn't know if it was the oil or the filter if I had any problems. The bypass setting on these double ADBV filters is higher, so I wonder if that is part of it.

Hmmmm, now you have me thinking if I should even try the S8316. Same as you, I know the FL400S works.
Decisions, decisions........

I know, I shoulda stopped when I found it but I just had to know if there was an even better mouse trap out there.
06.gif

And it might be the oil being too thick. But if I put anything other than an FL-400S on there I won't know for sure where to point.

Here's another example for those of who were worried about a hidden ecore.

The metal endcaps on the S8316 are a dead give away it's not an ecore, but you'll see from the pic below the ecore media also has a different shape and color from the "Classic" style I cut open.

Here's an STP ecore:

A very rigid "silicone" ADBV? Maybe Champ is dying the nitire mixture to make it look like a silicone one and passing it off as such? Did it say anywhere on the box that it was actually silicone?

Maybe they are hoping that customers only verify a silicone one by color?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
A very rigid "silicone" ADBV? Maybe Champ is dying the nitire mixture to make it look like a silicone one and passing it off as such? Did it say anywhere on the box that it was actually silicone?

Is there a way to contact someone at Champ Labs to verify "it is" a silicone ADBV?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
KC, are you going to dissect the S8316 any further? For instance, showing us the center core along with the 2nd ADBV.
20.gif

If you behave yourself you might get another picture showing the center tube. Other than that I'm not sure what else I could do. The second ADBV is under the metal endcap and inside the metal center tube.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

It doesn't say anything about silicone on the box, I just made that assumption when I saw the red. That and the original spec filter it is supposed to replace was an "S" series Motorcraft so I figured they were following the original spec.

Once I got it out I was very disappointed, I kid you not just about every nitrile ADBV I've handled has been softer and more pliable than this one. That doesn't mean it won't work as intended I know, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either.

KC, are you going to dissect the S8316 any further? For instance, showing us the center core along with the 2nd ADBV.
20.gif

If you behave yourself you might get another picture showing the center tube. Other than that I'm not sure what else I could do. The second ADBV is under the metal endcap and inside the metal center tube.

Go for a cross-section/cut-away of the center tube so the ADBVs can be seen.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
20.gif

KC, do that AFTER you take a pic of it whole.
BOF--->
06.gif
<---Z06

I don't think this filter has a "double ADBV." What you are looking at is the relief valve. Looks like a ADBV though. There is oil on both sides of what you are calling another ADBV so it wouldn't be holding back anything.Regards

This whole family of filters that meet this particular "spec" have two ADBV's. The bypass in this one is on the bottom like the other Champ Labs filters. What you see in the center tube is a second ADBV.

Here's some good pics of the Fram with the same feature. You can see the typical Fram bypass in the leaf spring, PLUS the second ADBV in the middle of the center tube.

Fram PH8316 BITOG Thread 1

Fram PH8316 BITOG Thread 2

Great pics and write up KC!
thumbsup2.gif

Interesting observation about the silicone ADBV, I guess they are not all created equal. Makes sense though maybe there are different "silicone" formulations.

Last edited:
I'm 99.9% positive that the S8316 as shown is a silicone adbv. Common sense says there would little point in making one red nitrile adbv for one application. And fwiw, I've never seen a red nitrile adbv.

Also it really only makes sense, with the applications for this filter apparently being critical to prevent drain back and dry start that S8316 uses a silicone adbv combined with the second mechanical centertube adbv. Imo by using a silicone adbv Champ is going the extra mile to be safe. And well worth the ~$4.50 for this application.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

KC, do that AFTER you take a pic of it whole.
BOF--->
06.gif

KC --->
43.gif
.............BOF

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm 99.9% positive that the S8316 as shown is a silicone adbv. Common sense says there would little point in making one red nitrile adbv for one application. And fwiw, I've never seen a red nitrile adbv.

Also it really only makes sense, with the applications for this filter apparently being critical to prevent drain back and dry start that S8316 uses a silicone adbv combined with the second mechanical centertube adbv. Imo by using a silicone adbv Champ is going the extra mile to be safe. And well worth the ~$4.50 for this application.

I agree. I've never opened a Champ Labs filter before, maybe this is normal for their filters? What's important is that is works in actual use, but it's rigidity surprised me none the less.

I think B.O.F. has already confirmed from Champ that it is indeed silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back