Wish we got the HiLux in the U.S.

i was always thought the taco and the hilux were same, until i did a bit more digging.

The tacoma series of products are a developed world chassis, complying with safety standards for those regions. The chassis underlying the hilux is a low cost product meant for developing nations where safety standards are meh. The hilux (fortuner and up until recently the innova) all ride on this ancient low cost platform.

The taco would be have to be sold at luxury car prices in developing worlds, while the cheap hilux would need extensive mods to be sold in the states and thus would cost about the same or higher as a taco.

@proveitwithdata , great information. That really indicates then that for the values like crash worthiness, frame strength, high speed handling (?) the taco is more suitable to typical North American buyers.

The chassis underlying the hilux is a low cost product meant for developing nations where safety standards are meh. The hilux (fortuner and up until recently the innova) all ride on this ancient low cost platform.
Hilux is sold in Australia and New Zealand. Didn't take the time to understand their crash ratings, but by there standards seems OK?

1708650976090.jpg

wouldn't be any cheaper than any of the current US Toyota truck offerings. W/the Diesel get your $$$$$.
In Mexico seems like they start around $37K for a base model with a diesel and a stick. I presume there diesels are quite underpowered compared to what we would think of a diesel as? I think there primarily for improved fuel economy?

In Mexico seems like they start around $37K for a base model with a diesel and a stick. I presume there diesels are quite underpowered compared to what we would think of a diesel as? I think there primarily for improved fuel economy?

Interesting, Not sure of the basic power output. My first though is the Common US driver would probably murder these foreign engines :LOL:. But I think a bigger reason is for emissions differences. Mexico isn't going to have the stricter emissions standards as the US so that will raise the price. The US seems to always pay a price for diesels. However, apparently after watching TFL truck yesterday the new Silverado Duramax 3.0L I6 is now the "standard" engine. Which I'm happy that GM is not pulling their 1/2 ton diesel engines like Ford & Ram did.

Interesting, Not sure of the basic power output. My first though is the Common US driver would probably murder these foreign engines :LOL:. But I think a bigger reason is for emissions differences. Mexico isn't going to have the stricter emissions standards as the US so that will raise the price. The US seems to always pay a price for diesels. However, apparently after watching TFL truck yesterday the new Silverado Duramax 3.0L I6 is now the "standard" engine. Which I'm happy that GM is not pulling their 1/2 ton diesel engines like Ford & Ram did.
Mexico has standards for new cars - they can either meet US standards or Euro standards. I doubt there is any testing after sale, but there isn't anymore in most states either.

New vehicles must meet either the standards based on US EPA standards or those based on Euro standards, as outlined in the tables below. Tailpipe emissions limits for model year 2004 and later vehicles are based on US Tier 1 and Tier 2 limits and Euro 3 and Euro 4 standards.

Mexico has standards for new cars - they can either meet US standards or Euro standards. I doubt there is any testing after sale, but there isn't anymore in most states either.

New vehicles must meet either the standards based on US EPA standards or those based on Euro standards, as outlined in the tables below. Tailpipe emissions limits for model year 2004 and later vehicles are based on US Tier 1 and Tier 2 limits and Euro 3 and Euro 4 standards.

That's great they're required to meet stricter emissions. Good info!

We worked them overseas in tough duty 4WD - ate drive lines …
Actually got better service from F250 PSD …

I like the smaller trucks like this vs. the ever growing Tacoma or full size American offerings for the kind of work I do for the simple fact of being able to fit and turn around on narrow dirt roads. The diesel has very good torque and always seems to have no issue in tough offroad conditions.

The Tacoma isn't intended to be a luxury model. People who want that are supposed to buy Tundras.

Diesel fuel consistently costs substantially more than gasoline here. Why would someone want that?
Torque. Durability/longevity. There is some offset in diesel price from increased mpgs.

Id appreciate a Hilux even if it came with a lower powered gas engine. The pre-Tacoma trucks kind of hit the sweet spot in terms of size and functionality, though the gas mileage was lacking for what it was.

......... Diesel fuel consistently costs substantially more than gasoline here. Why would someone want that?
This is the part I don't get. One of the biggest reasons "back in the day", for getting a diesel engine powered vehicle was fuel economy, reliability, and longevity.

Today you get none of the above. Diesel fuel around here is the most expensive motor fuel obtainable. It's more than Premium. Years ago it was dirt cheap. Today the diesel engine option, along with the fuel cost, is so much more expensive, it completely defeats the purpose of getting one.

Then the longevity isn't that great either. A LOT of these newer "clean Diesels" are nothing but problem childs. Equipped with a lot of expensive crap and emissions garbage that the older Diesel's did not have to deal with, like DEF systems and the like. And DEF isn't exactly cheap either. Considering you'll be buying it for the life of the vehicle.

And bring a Diesel in for service, and / or problems, and you will be financially raped at the service desk. It no longer makes sense to purchase a Diesel, except for the novelty / cool factor..... Assuming the consumer thinks there even is one.

Last edited:
This is why.

Its not banned - its the chicken tax which applies to all imported trucks. So they could build that truck here - or Mexico - and it would be the same as the Tacoma.

If they build the Tacoma in Japan it would also have the 25% tax.

Toyota chose not to sell the Hilux in the US market years ago for whatever reason - so they invented the Tacoma. At one point in time the Hilux and Tacoma (called just Toyota truck or something) were the same platform until 1998.

Last edited:
I've spent some time in these in Australia and Brazil as a geologist. Great trucks just too bad we can't get them here in the U.S. Diesel. Go anywhere. Good ride. Nice interior. Way better than a Tacoma.

View attachment 204880
I got to drive one on vacation this month. They are probably the most popular vehicle on the island. My parents rent the same vehicle each year.
I enjoyed driving it because I like driving manual transmission. However my 05 Silverado did feel kind of like going to a Cadillac from an old Cavalier.
They are basic, reliable (at least with the gas engines) cheaper trucks. I also wish we got them here but I doubt it will ever happen.

P2018207.JPG

P2018206.JPG

P2018209.JPG

P2018208.JPG

Apparently I was very lucky to get my accord sport 6spd.
Honda dropped the Accord sport with the V6 manual transmission in the usa years ago. They dropped the manual altogether in 21' or 22'. I really wanted an accord with the 2.0 manual transmission. The new Acura "Integra" really needed the 2.0 or bigger engine out of the Civic Type R.

Honda dropped the Accord sport with the V6 manual transmission in the usa years ago. They dropped the manual altogether in 21' or 22'. I really wanted an accord with the 2.0 manual transmission. The new Acura "Integra" really needed the 2.0 or bigger engine out of the Civic Type R.
2015, choice with the 2.4L was CVT or 6MT, who could ask for more fun than a Honda 4cyl and a MT ;) Saying that I should have reconsidered the 6cyl and auto w paddle shifter.

My first though is the Common US driver would probably murder these foreign engines :LOL:.
Non-U.S. drivers say hold my beer. Have you ever been to a country that has these and see the abuse they undergo?

Back