Wish we got the HiLux in the U.S.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I've spent some time in these in Australia and Brazil as a geologist. Great trucks just too bad we can't get them here in the U.S. Diesel. Go anywhere. Good ride. Nice interior. Way better than a Tacoma.

1000016278.jpg

This is debated Ad Nauseum on the Tacoma World forum. Honestly I feel sales will be good at first if it came here. Then die a slow death. I guess if you like government bureaucracy you could import one from Mexico, after it clears US requirements.

This is debated Ad Nauseum on the Tacoma World forum. Honestly I feel sales will be good at first if it came here. Then die a slow death. I guess if you like government bureaucracy you could import one from Mexico, after it clears US requirements.
What is the debate about?

What does the front of it look like? I assume it's better looking than the Tacoma.

The Tacoma isn't intended to be a luxury model. People who want that are supposed to buy Tundras.

Diesel fuel consistently costs substantially more than gasoline here. Why would someone want that?

Is it also available with a gas engine? I've always wondered why we still get the tacoma when expanding hilux production would seem to be more profitable.

I actually do not like the look of the hilux. Now what we really need is that uae fj70 model that toyota keeps making despite being old.

It would need to be federalized for the USA market. Essentially Toyota would have to crash a few of them, then install seatbelts with DOT stampings as other regulating bodies aren't acceptable. New lights, turn signals etc. Let's face it VW more or less made the epa sit up and take notice of diesel vehicle emissions. As an example Subaru made a limited run of 500 STi-RA for the USA market a few years ago. It cost Subaru $2 Million dollars to Carb, epa and crash test a modified small run.

The Tacoma isn't intended to be a luxury model. People who want that are supposed to buy Tundras.

Diesel fuel consistently costs substantially more than gasoline here. Why would someone want that?
well the 2024 Tacoma limited is a luxury model. limited trim with hybrid max engine and full time 4wd and plenty of chrome. it is the Capstone version of the Tacoma. and they are expensive. a pickup truck can be anything. from a raging desert race beast, to off road ace, to plain jane working mule, to a luxurious family vehicle. that is why there is so many trims and choices.

"they" claim the taco has more power and a more luxurios interior. They might be right, most American buyers don't want a real truck actually. Thats why the 5 foot long box is most popular - there not actually hauling anything.

Nissan offered the Navara with the small Diesel overseas as well. Sometimes it was more or less the same as a Frontier, and sometimes it was different. Currently different platforms.

I've spent some time in these in Australia and Brazil as a geologist. Great trucks just too bad we can't get them here in the U.S. Diesel. Go anywhere. Good ride. Nice interior. Way better than a Tacoma.

View attachment 204880
Their diesels are hit or miss. I worked with some SAR teams, and they shifted to Ford Rangers. I would say they did not regret it but were not thrilled with Rangers, either.
My take is Tacoma is a better vehicle because. V6 natural aspirated. Also, I4 turbo in new Taco will still be less complex than diesel.

We don't get a lot of the vehicles in the USA offered elsewhere. You can buy a 2024 Nissan Sentra with a stick in Canada, but we are stuck with loathed CVT only models in the USA.
I'd be curious of the manual transmission take rate in Canada on the Nissan Sentra. Canada has a much smaller sales demographic than in the USA. What's their new car sales per year like?

The HiLux seems to be rather popular in certain areas of Mexico and more so on the African and South American continents……….

wouldn't be any cheaper than any of the current US Toyota truck offerings. W/the Diesel get your $$$$$.

Back