Wireless Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently set up a NETGEAR 54 Mbps wireless router (model WRG614, 2.4 GHz, 802.11) with my cable internet service modem. For the first day or two the speed was great and consistent, then it began to periodically fade out. Now the speed goes up and down numerous times each day, and when it is slow it is virtually useless, often timing out. The router is less than 10 feet from the computer and in direct sight with no obstacles.

If I shut off the router, or log-off and then log-on again, the speed jumps right up to 54 Mbps. This could last for an hour or, more often, only minutes before the speed drops again, and continues to go up and down. My computer always says the signal strength is excellent, but it does show the speed varying, usually between 54 and 24 Mbps and sometimes lower.

If I disconnect the router and feed the modem directly into my laptop through the same cable that connects into the router, the speed is high and stays high 95% of the time (there is some occasional delay but not often.)

Is this router defective (it is several years old) or could I have done sometime wrong? Could the LCD TV, which is on the same input cable via a splitter, be interfering? The problem does persist even when the TV is off.

Thanks!

Tom NJ

I wonder if there's another wifi device that's causing the router to drop speed as a failsafe. Like a neighbor mooching your signal. You could play around on the config page and see if there's a way to lock it at 54, ie not "downshifting" for poorer signals. Set up some security while at it.

Your cable modem might have a diagnostic webpage that gives S/N ratio, if you think it's an ISP issue. (I don't.)

Wireless security is a must to prevent loafers, like me, from using your internet and hogging your bandwidth. I'd reset the router and set up a log in password other then default to keep the neighborhood kids from changing router settings. If you have only 1 wireless device, MAC address filtering is the way to go.

What version or revision of the wgr614? what firmware? Hit the netgear website and make sure you have the latest firmware.

I setup the same router at my sisters house and it runs all year long without needing to be rebooted. Wireless phones, laptops, games... all work perfectly.

2.4ghz cordless phones, microwave ovens, bluetooth, and various rf emitting devices can cause wireless issues.

Make sure the router isn't near ANY cordless phone bases, cb's, ham radio equipment.....

Step through all the wireless settings. Set it to 802.11g ONLY if your PC support G. Set it to 802.11b only if it supports 'b'.

Pick a channel! You'll have to experiment to see which channel works best.

What laptop? Certain brands have flakey wireless controllers or drivers.

That router is a known problem child and can sometimes ratchet down the speed even if there are no interfering devices nearby. Have you tried Netgear's support site to see if it has the latest firmware installed?

Thanks for all the help guys!

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite M55 laptop, the router is WRG614v6, the network is password secured, and I have no 2.4 ghz devices nearby.

The firmware, however, was quite old so I updated to the latest, and that seems to have helped. So far I've only had one short speed drop in the last hour - I'll watch closely and let you know it the problem returns.

Tom NJ

My Toshiba has the same issue. Not as bad as some Acers that I've worked on, but still a little annoying. The HP/Dell/Clevo in the same location never sport the wireless slowdown.

Make sure you have the latest wireless card driver and bios for the laptop. And, if there is a Toshiba 'wireless assistant', uninstall it. Let windows zero-config control the wireless!

I have both the v4 and v6 of the wgr614 and they run flawlessly. One was running a little hot laying flat so I mounted the feet and it is now cool standing vertically. Simply setting the wireless to 802.11g-ONLY seems to help a lot with the Toshiba. Can't always let the router+PC do everything automatically all the time.

Hi unDummy,

Well I spoke too soon. Shortly after my last post the problem returned.

I tried changing the channel and that helped a lot - speed remained high for the rest of the day, but this morning it began dropping off again. Still exploring new channels.

I changed the wireless setting to 802.11g-ONLY but it is too soon to tell if it helped.

What is a wireless card driver - is it a physical card or software? I searched online for "Toshiba wireless card drivers" and found many downloads from third parties, but I'd rather download directly from Toshiba's site, and I can't find it there.

I also searched my hard drive for files containing "wireless" but could not find a Toshiba "wireless assistant", nor could I find it in Toshiba ConfigFree. Very frustrating!

Really appreciate all your help!

Tom NJ

A couple of additional tips, if not already mentioned:

Besides the latest firmware, try broadcasting on Channel 11, which is less congested. If your clients support it, use AES encryption, as it demands less overhead. Also, if available, try upgrading to any optional high gain antenna (this last step can completely transform some WAPs and wireless routers).

All of these factors, when compromised, can start eating at speeds.

Otherwise, I find that more often the problem is on the client side. Drivers and "managers" vary greatly, and some are not so good.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
I searched online for "Toshiba wireless card drivers" and found many downloads from third parties, but I'd rather download directly from Toshiba's site, and I can't find it there.

If you go to this Toshiba page and select page 3 on the download tab there is a WI-FI driver for the Satellite M55. Check the Applicable Models list before you download it.

I hate channel 11. Seems that 'everybody' in the 'hood is using 11 or 6.

Thanks Gradient. Toshiba support website is pretty good.

The card is built into the computer. Generic term.

One way to prove the 'card' issue is to borrow or steal a USB wireless 'card' and use it while the onboard one is disabled. When the problem goes away, you'll know the cause.

Which M55-xxxxxxx do you have?

For the Acer's that I've worked on, dumping the 'Acer' driver and using a genuine "Atheros" driver is a reliable fix. Finding the Atheros wifi cards driver online is tough.

If yours has the Intel wi-fi, Intels website along with windows update will have the driver. It might even be better than the one from the Toshiba website.

wireless card don't use too many electrolyte caps. Most of them are pretty small and solid state and if you can/have try another router and it works, just replace it, not worth fixing a design issue.

Many routers have the same model name in different revision with different hardware. Some revision have horrible reliability (i.e. some of the Linksys and Netgear routers with VxWork firmware) issue that they still haven't fixed. Others have horrible chipset quality that makes the signal weak (i.e. Marvell or Ralink chipsets).

Search for model and serial, and if they aren't good online, just replace them with something good (search for review and see which version of which model works first).

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
this is your problem.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1805
local cable company sold thousands of these around here.
they go sick in a year or so.i have recapped several hundred of them.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Bad, and substandard caps, are a growing problem generally with most electronics these days. That new gadget that dies after a year is usually felled by a failed cap.

Most instruments now come from China. The more that comes from China, the more likely it is to have Chinese caps. If the designer isn't vigilant on specs, there is a risk that cheap low quality ones get in.

Asking for a Nichicon or Vishay or a UCC in OEM is like asking for a block of gold, even though that's what I use for repairs. I've got tube equipment still running fine on their original 50 year old Mallory and Sprauge FP cans. Those days are long gone.

Gradient - thanks for the Toshiba page for the WiFi driver. That driver is dated 04/05, which is two years before I bought my computer. Is it safe to assume my computer already has that driver? Is it safe to download it anyway, or would that then replace a later driver? Would an old or inferior driver cause speed fluctuations?

unDummy - my Toshiba laptop model is M55-S3512. It has an Intel Centrino processor and is running Windows XP. I don't know if it has an Intel WiFi driver. I do subscribe to automatic Windows updates - would that assure I have the latest driver? Also, channel 11 was where I had my original problems - channnel 10 is working better but still drops speed frequently.

Overkill - I hooked up an ethernet cable from the router to the computer and shut off the wireless function. This is so far providing fast service, but does this really test the router with respect to its ability to broadcast wireless signals to my computer? In other words, is the ethernet wire from the modem to the router just hard wired inside the router to its ethernet outlet? I know that connecting the modem directly to the computer, bypassing the router altogether, works well with no speed loss.

kc8adu - would a bad cap cause the speed fluctuations I am experiencing? I did get this router free from my cable company.

I would have no problem buying and new better quality router if I could only be sure the problem is with the router rather than the computer. I have used this computer on other wireless networks in hotels and a friend's house and don't remember any problems. Also, rebooting the router, or logging off then on again, consistently restores full speed, albeit usually short lived. If I could be sure this means the router is at fault I'd just buy another.

Thanks all for your help!!!

Tom NJ

Tom:

The router still has to NAT everything that goes through the Ethernet ports. Keep using the ethernet and see if the issue crops up.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Gradient - thanks for the Toshiba page for the WiFi driver. That driver is dated 04/05, which is two years before I bought my computer. Is it safe to assume my computer already has that driver? Is it safe to download it anyway, or would that then replace a later driver? Would an old or inferior driver cause speed fluctuations? Tom NJ
If your Toshiba is a M55-S3512 you need to go to this Toshiba web page for Toshiba's latest driver it's dated 9/16/2006.
If it was my laptop I would go to the "device manager" and check which wireless adapter you have, Toshiba shows it as an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG. If it is an Intel Adapter, go to this Intel Site and download Intels latest driver (looks like the latest is 4/11/2008). If the new driver makes things worse you can roll your system back to the previous driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back